using FF miles to Europe

Hawaiidan

I think you are discussing three different things. The first is about upgrading a ticket purchased with cash, to a higher class of service.

The second something I don't understand. What is "Miles/Copay"? There was a "Miles & Money", but I haven't seen that for quite some time. You do pay money when you book an award ticket, but this is taxes and fees, and an award ticket has always had that. UA did increase the number of miles needed for some award tickets, especially booking business class awards on other carriers.

There is now and has been for quite awhile miles plus money for upgrades. Believe it to currently be 20K miles plus $550 to upgrade an international ticket to Business each way. That plus the cost of the coach seat brings the cost up whereas before it was strictly miles to upgrade. Think that is what Paul is discussing and if not, it is a significant cost increase to upgrading.

Had no problem getting Saver Award on UA SFO-FRA 320 days out, for next August, in Business. However, unable to get Saver Business back from LHR.

If you use a ff mile ticket for business or first, out of anywhere in the UK... you going to get hit with a $320 british tax!!!! Go from AMS/FRA way cheaper.... NOT UK $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is now and has been for quite awhile miles plus money for upgrades. Believe it to currently be 20K miles plus $550 to upgrade an international ticket to Business each way. That plus the cost of the coach seat brings the cost up whereas before it was strictly miles to upgrade. Think that is what Paul is discussing and if not, it is a significant cost increase to upgrading.

Yes, but this been true for some time now. Cost to upgrade varies on your premier status, routing and fare class of your original ticket.

If you use a ff mile ticket for business or first, out of anywhere in the UK... you going to get hit with a $320 british tax!!!! Go from AMS/FRA way cheaper.... NOT UK $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes, charges on a one way business class award ticket from LHR to US breakdown as follows:

Sept 11 Security Fee. $. 5.60

U.S. APHIS User fee. 5.00

U.S. immigration User Fee. 7.00

U.S. Customs User Fee. 5.50

UK Passenger Service Charge 63.80

UK Air Passenger Duty. 215.60

Total $302.50

In contrast, a one way award in business, AMS-US has only $53.50 in fees and taxes.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: There is pretty good availability right now to Europe in summer 2016 on American Airlines. Taxes and fees are higher than United since almost all flights route through LHR, but they aren't too bad if you don't book the the trans-Atlantic flight on British Airways.

That doesn't help if you only have United miles. But this is why I try to collect both and stay flexible.

Yes , I am getting quite frustrated in my quest to get my tickets for July using my FF miles. I have been trying daily with no luck . Like the orginal poster , for years I have been quite lucky. This is the first time I have run into this problem and my " super planner" tendency is having a hard time dealing!!

If I were living in the US , I would have bit the bullet and bought the BA business seats on sale...what a great deal. No deals here. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...