Dess code

caltnl

We will be b boarding the Veendam on Dec 20 for a Christmas Cruise.

Have been unable to find out if there will be a formal day/night on Christmas Day.

Has anyone learned anything?

I'm not trying to be flip, but Christmas is a special day and you are on a cruise, so why not dress up anyway?

I just looked at your itinerary and December 25th is a sea day, so I would think it will be a designated formal / gala night.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I'm not trying to be flip, but Christmas is a special day and you are on a cruise, so why not dress up anyway?

I just looked at your itinerary and December 25th is a sea day, so I would think it will be a designated formal / gala night.

I agree. I bet, even if it isn't designated as gala, lots of people will dress just because it's Christmas.

Am learning. I take it that gala is not as dressy as formal?

Sad to say but have heard that this is true from current passengers on ships like Jeff and he has such beautiful accessories for his tux and dinner jacket......

Love(d) the glitz and glamor of formal nights and will continue as have the outfits. Hopefully others may also do this.

We will be b boarding the Veendam on Dec 20 for a Christmas Cruise.

Have been unable to find out if there will be a formal day/night on Christmas Day.

Has anyone learned anything?

We are also on this cruise. Can't say for sure when formal night(s) will be. Xmas Eve is Le Cirque so it won't be then. I think other posters are probably right it will be Christmas dinner. Either way DD and I will be glittering. I am still debating whether we will go fully formal. I don't give a rats bottom if no one else does but I don't want to traumatized my 15 year old by letting her dress up just to discover no one else is in gowns. It matters at that age.

We are also on this cruise. Can't say for sure when formal night(s) will be. Xmas Eve is Le Cirque so it won't be then. I think other posters are probably right it will be Christmas dinner. Either way DD and I will be glittering. I am still debating whether we will go fully formal. I don't give a rats bottom if no one else does but I don't want to traumatized my 15 year old by letting her dress up just to discover no one else is in gowns. It matters at that age.

Remember the trauma and drama of 15-year olds! IMO, she is old enough to decide what she wants to wear if you explain how you will be dressed, once you decide, and how others may not be quite as fancy - but it is Christmas. Or is she is uncomfortable, she can always change after dinner if you do go formal. Have a great cruise!

Remember the trauma and drama of 15-year olds! IMO, she is old enough to decide what she wants to wear if you explain how you will be dressed, once you decide, and how others may not be quite as fancy - but it is Christmas. Or is she is uncomfortable, she can always change after dinner if you do go formal. Have a great cruise!

We traveled with friends when their daughters were about 15. Granted, this was many years ago when there really were formal nights on cruises. But those two girls LOVED dressing up, and even on causal nights, they liked trotting out their nice dresses.

I agree that if Christmas isn't formal, she should be given the choice. Perhaps sweeten the idea by having your photos taken that day.

When they rewrote the rules, they tried to make them more open. As a result, they defined "appropriate" as the old formal would have been: tuxes or suits for men and the equivalent for women. They also defined acceptable as being some where between coat & tie and collared shirt and slacks.

The real answer is that "gala" is both as dressy as formal as well as "dressy as Best Buy." My advice would be to dress to match the rest of your party. At least you'll all go together. ;)

I am following several cruise blogs at the moment, and I cannot remember which one mentioned that Gala night everyone was dressed up pretty much the same as the old formal night, including some tuxes, suits, etc. Having said that, I totally understand 15 yr olds not wanting to be different than anyone else. It's very important at that age.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas...

Though if Christmas is a Sea Day I'd imagine they would designate it as the Gala night.

Whether anyone wants to dress festive, gala, smart casual, semi-formal, resort casual, business, formal, etc. is entirely up to them. I am sure it will be a nice evening.

Sad to say but have heard that this is true from current passengers on ships like Jeff and he has such beautiful accessories for his tux and dinner jacket......

Love(d) the glitz and glamor of formal nights and will continue as have the outfits. Hopefully others may also do this.

Me Too!!

I miss DH not wearing his TUX any more.. He now only takes a Suit & an extra sport Jacket.. So guess I'll have to leave my long fluffy chiffon's at home & take only going to church clothes.. But have decided to still take a long black straight skirt & one long ankle length red dress - which is not a gown.. I plan on wearing one to the Pinnacle & the other to the Tamarand, to celebrate our Best Friends 60th Anniversary...Hopefully the two outfits will not be too dressy..

Me Too!!

I miss DH not wearing his TUX any more.. He now only takes a Suit & an extra sport Jacket.. So guess I'll have to leave my long fluffy chiffon's at home & take only going to church clothes.. But have decided to still take a long black straight skirt & one long ankle length red dress - which is not a gown.. I plan on wearing one to the Pinnacle & the other to the Tamarand, to celebrate our Best Friends 60th Anniversary...Hopefully the two outfits will not be too dressy..

your dresses sound perfect.

I say to heck with them and will wear my 'glitz and glamor' as love them and feel great in fluffy chiffon but may wear silk pants instead of the chiffon skirt. I can wear my 'church clothes' at home and prefer the special feeling of being more dressed up.

Me Too!!

A 60th anniversary is a very special occasion, and you won't be overdressed. Enjoy!!