ocean sickness

Can anyone please tell me how the Mediterranean compares to the Caribbean? My SIL had to wear the patch on a Miami/ Belize/ Costa Rica/ Panama cruise, which helps, but she doesn't really like doing it because she can't read then. We're booking the Rotterdam's Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Cairo, Ephesus, Istanbul, Constanta, Odessa, Varna, and Athens cruise on May 14. (woohoo!) And my DB and SIL are thinking about joining us. We're wondering what the comparison is - better, the same, worse.

tia,

marcia

My husband and I both put on patches since we are prone to sea sickness, but it made us feel terrible...very dry, groggy, just overall yucky. We took them off on the third day and felt much better. We rarely felt seasick, only noticed it when we were near the bow of the boat. We felt tons better without the patch.

Of course there is always the possibilty of huge winds (I have read on here about cruises with huge winds), but I generally think the water is not too rough.

I've never cruised in the Caribbean, but the Med and Black Sea can certainly have swells and quite a roll. We were on a very stable ship (the now defunct Radisson Diamond, which is a twin-hulled ship), but I had my trusty Bonine at hand, never needed to take it. So you might think about something less drastic than the Scop patch??

Jsut back from Med Cruise and had only one day - friday - when the seas were rough all day. And it had to be a sea day!! I began feeling ill late in the afternoon and got something from the purser's desk to ease the sick feeling. Other people swear by the seabands for around both wrists and it seems to work if you put them on as you begin to feel the seas rough.

Frances

Just returned from Med. cruise on the Brillance and was sea sick for the very first time (after eleven cruises) on Sun. night when the ship encountered approximately 100 knot winds. It was pretty rough for 8-10 hours before we got out of the weather pattern. So the best advice is to come prepared just in case you do have some rough weather. I used my wrist bands and they really helped tremendously.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just returned from the Rotterdam and the western med (sicily, rome, tuscany, etc.) and there was more movement than we expected. we aren't bothered but some complained more than others so I would be prepared. Also ship had a constant vibration that we eventually got used to. At times the rolling kept me awake but I didn't really notice it when we were doing things. Try not to get a table next to a window as the swaying of the drapes might exacerbate the problem.

We cruised the Med in early August. Since I am prone to seasickness, I take one non-drowsy dramamine about an hour before the ship is set to depart. This time around, we didn't even know the ship was moving. We have been to Carribean and Bermuda the waters were much rougher. My DH will generally take bonine (which he swears is the same as dramamine), but this time, on the one day we had some rough waters (only lasted 6 hours) the bonine didn't work. He took one of my dramamine and was feeling great within the hour. I swear by that stuff. Only took 2 during the 13 day cruise, that's how smooth the sailing was. The patches have a drug in them that causes dryness of the mouth and blurred vision. Wouldn't use them on a bet. Have a great cruise :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am very prone to being seasick and have used Bonine in the past which has always worked very well for me.

However, for my next cruise I have purchased a 'Relief Band', which is a non-medication watch type band that sends a small electrical pulse, which supposedly stops you feeling ill. It has had some good reviews, but I'll still have the Bonine with me just in case !

I have tried homeopathic remedies in the past for a number of issues, and have found them to be very helpful. They are very gentle and easy on the system, and at times some people who get no relief from traditional medications will find a homeopathic remedy helpful. They have no side effects, and if they don't work for you, you can safely take something else.

I bought one for our upcoming cruise just in case, it is called Motion Sickness by Hylands. It combines several homeopathic remedies that help ease motion sickness. If you go into a local health food store and discuss your situation, they can often help you find a very specific remedy. For example, some are for nausea, some for nausea with headache, etc. The one I bought covers everything. I have never used this particular remedy before, however I have used other remedies by this brand, and I am sure it cannot hurt to try it.

Some people also sear by herbal remedies, such as ginger capsule for nausea. Again, a reputable health food store or a homeopathic practitioner can help find the right combination if you wish to try talking with them.

I wish you luck! It's horrible to be ill when on vacation, but when the cure is nearly as bad as the illness, it's even worse.

Take care,

Emmie

how can anyone get seasick on todays modern liners? try a winter transatlantic on a 28,000 ton ship. the 90-110 ton ships have stabilizers that make things so smooth you need to look over the rail to be sure you are even moving.

Well, i am off to the buffet for some greasy sausage, runny eggs, and a jelly and mayo sandwich on raisen bread......

I am interested in the bands--are they available only by prescription or over the counter? If over the counter-where? I am a big fan of Bonine and Dramamine, but would prefer something that is non-medicating so it doesn't interact with my other meds.

Been on cruises in the Caribbean 10x and have encountered the rocky waves/residuals from hurricanes, North-easter's etc. By comparison the Med is like a bathtub. Since the sea is sourrounded by land, vs. being wide open to the Atlantic ocean, this probably lessens the wave action. Also, with Med cruises you are in ports almost every day so there is a lot less time spent on board the ship in open water.

Archived