Quick question: library on BA?

Seago2

Just packing for Sunday's cruise (well, thinking about packing, anyway) and I always chew through books like a machine on board. It's nothing for me to read five books on a 7 day cruise. Is there a library where I can get a few? Not trying to drag too many heavy books or have to go out and buy some.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Retired librarian here:

The Breakaway library is lovely & there is a great display of rockette costumes. However, the selection of books is small & not the greatest.

Tablet, Kindle app & library card from a library with Overdrive would be my suggestion. Most of the time the borrowing limit is 10 book. Amazon also has thousands of free books to download. Not to sound like a shill for Amazon, but the new 5th generation Fire is on sale for $49.99. Try your local Best Buy

Check the BA's latest open hours on Day 1 (read the Freestyle Daily on the pier while waiting to board/embark, if you arrive early enough to get thru security & checking in, before the gangways are open for the pecking orders) - unless things have changed & haven't read anything otherwise, the daily posted hours where it is OPEN is very, very, very limited to take items out/drop them off.

If you have a Kindle/tablet with the Apps loaded, I would download one's personal choices ahead of sailing ... as noted above, there're many resources online on getting free downloads. I have a few classics on the iPad Mini but never got around to it, there's much to do once you are onboard :D

If you do your reading on the deck, I would opt for an old school type of kindle, paperwhite or voyager. It is almost impossible to read with the tablets outside. The ones that are for reading only, are made in a way that you can adjust if you are outside (and they are significantly lighter).

I do second overdrive or axis360, my library allows 50 books on Overdrive, but good books, like the real library often have a wait list, so I already started selecting books that I will hopefully have for my 12/20 sailing. At my library you can have them for 21 days, which is pretty nice when going on a cruise, if I get them the week or two before, they won't disappear until the trip is over.

I used to bring 6 or 7 books with me, and this has made a huge difference in the weight of my bags :)

If you do your reading on the deck, I would opt for an old school type of kindle, paperwhite or voyager. It is almost impossible to read with the tablets outside. The ones that are for reading only, are made in a way that you can adjust if you are outside (and they are significantly lighter).

I do second overdrive or axis360, my library allows 50 books on Overdrive, but good books, like the real library often have a wait list, so I already started selecting books that I will hopefully have for my 12/20 sailing. At my library you can have them for 21 days, which is pretty nice when going on a cruise, if I get them the week or two before, they won't disappear until the trip is over.

I used to bring 6 or 7 books with me, and this has made a huge difference in the weight of my bags :)

The new 5th generation Kindle fire is much better for reading in sunlight. The book screen is almost as good as my paperwhite. The 1st generation KF was terrible for reading, but I think I will get away with taking the new KF on my cruise next month. Ditto on the weight of the bags. More room for new purchases:D

Whichever tablet you have, or which service you use, the key is to download all the books you want before you leave for the cruise. Hopefully you have WiFi in your home, to keep the data charges down. Don't wait until you are on the ship to download the books.

Whichever tablet you have, or which service you use, the key is to download all the books you want before you leave for the cruise. Hopefully you have WiFi in your home, to keep the data charges down. Don't wait until you are on the ship to download the books.

Or you can go to a library near you and use the free wifi. They can also show you the digital services they have & help you download all the books you want. Like queenschick said there may be a waiting list, but there is also the ability to search for available items.

Always a shill for public libraries:D

Thanks for your responses. No tablets for reading for me. Read David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest on a tablet and figured "hey, I'll just skip over the footnotes and read them at the end..." not realizing that half the book is footnotes that go on for pages. I mean- how stupid can you be. So that was the end of reading tablets for me. Plus I like to unplug on a cruise. I just want mindless reading so mill go to the library on deck 6!

Thanks a lot-

The new 5th generation Kindle fire is much better for reading in sunlight. The book screen is almost as good as my paperwhite. The 1st generation KF was terrible for reading, but I think I will get away with taking the new KF on my cruise next month. Ditto on the weight of the bags. More room for new purchases:D

I'm glad to hear that -- I just got one delivered yesterday (the expandable memory card to 128 gb and the ability to download from prime was what got me to get it instead of an ipad mini). I plan on loading it up before my 12/20 -- and before people ask why I need movies on a cruise -- I'm a solo traveler and I love watching tv/movies in my cabin when I am getting ready to go to dinner and before I go to bed. I haven't tried it outside yet, so I didn't realize that was one of the improvements :)

I'm glad to hear that -- I just got one delivered yesterday (the expandable memory card to 128 gb and the ability to download from prime was what got me to get it instead of an ipad mini). I plan on loading it up before my 12/20 -- and before people ask why I need movies on a cruise -- I'm a solo traveler and I love watching tv/movies in my cabin when I am getting ready to go to dinner and before I go to bed. I haven't tried it outside yet, so I didn't realize that was one of the improvements :)

Yeah my first generation Fire started having charging problems last week & with the >$50 price of the new one & finding one available locally, made it a no-brainer. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the book screens on my paperwhite & the fire even outside or with my Ott light on.