Hep A vaccine?

jc4me

I've never thought about needing any special vaccines while cruising, but now I'm wondering if a Hep A vaccine is warranted for a trip to Cozumel. We are booked on a Tulum excursion which includes a meal. It's a little late for this trip. Have you gotten a Hepatitis vaccine?

I've never thought about needing any special vaccines while cruising, but now I'm wondering if a Hep A vaccine is warranted for a trip to Cozumel. We are booked on a Tulum excursion which includes a meal. It's a little late for this trip. Have you gotten a Hepatitis vaccine?

I believe it takes about two weeks to take effect. And you should have a second shot later as a booster. So it is a little late. If you travel a lot it is a good vaccine to take but you don't need it at Cozumel or Tulum. I visited Coz many times and Tulum twice before I had that vaccine which I finally got because I was visiting much worse places than those as far as sanitation. As far as the meal they provide on the Tulum excursion, when I did it the meal was a prepackaged box lunch from the ship. So my opinion is that you don't need it but it's a good vaccine to have if you travel a lot.

Edited by Charles4515

I believe it takes about two weeks to take effect. And you should have a second shot later as a booster. So it is a little late. If you travel a lot it is a good vaccine to take but you don't need it at Cozumel or Tulum. I visited Coz many times and Tulum twice before I had that vaccine which I finally got because I was visiting much worse places than those as far as sanitation. As far as the meal they provide on the Tulum excursion, when I did it the meal was a prepackaged box lunch from the ship. So my opinion is that you don't need it but it's a good vaccine to have if you travel a lot.

Thanks for the information! I have been to Coz a few times but never to Tulum. I have been on a mission trip to La Romana, DR and never really thought about the vaccine before going there. Here's the description of the excursion:

After visiting the Mayan Temples, we will take you to a relaxed rain forest setting where you will discover how the modern Mayan descendants live today. Learn about their daily life style and activities, discover the process in making hand-made tortillas and enjoy a typical Mayan lunch including, chicken pibil, pork poc-chuc and side dishes, accompanied by a variety of Mexican salsas, guacamole, hand-made tortillas, unlimited flavored water and coffee.

I can't imagine that Carnival would have this excursion if it was not "safe". I may consider the vaccine in the future.....

After visiting the Mayan Temples, we will take you to a relaxed rain forest setting where you will discover how the modern Mayan descendants live today. Learn about their daily life style and activities, discover the process in making hand-made tortillas and enjoy a typical Mayan lunch including, chicken pibil, pork poc-chuc and side dishes, accompanied by a variety of Mexican salsas, guacamole, hand-made tortillas, unlimited flavored water and coffee.

I can't imagine that Carnival would have this excursion if it was not "safe". I may consider the vaccine in the future.....

That sounds interesting. Did not have that Mayan lunch option on the Tulum excursions I took. The options they offered with Tulum was swimming at the beach there, or Xel Ha.

Thanks for the information! I have been to Coz a few times but never to Tulum. I have been on a mission trip to La Romana, DR and never really thought about the vaccine before going there. Here's the description of the excursion:

Actually, the odds of contracting Hep A in the Caribbean are about the same as you go from island to island, and just may have been a bit higher in the DR than the Tulum area. Many cases are food borne, through lax sanitary practices and hygiene, from undercooked shellfish, and some forms of sexual activity.

If you travel frequently, it's always good to go over vaccines such as for Hep A, tetanus, etc, as well as flu and pneumonia shots with your doctor.