Boston hotels with shuttle to/from airport and cruise terminal

PH8

We are flying to Finland Next August from Boston, for a visit and then a B2B

ending with a TA ending in Boston. We will be gone 31 days.

. Don't think there is a park and fly/cruise for that long.

. Parking looks very expensive at port or airport

. Car/limo is doable but expensive

. Think best would be 1 way car rental.

. August from Ct. to Airport.

. Sept return? Are there any car rental agencies near port- do they pick up

or use taxi to get to them?

All and any input / help would be appreciated. Thanks

Call the Adams Best Western in Quincy first. Folks have used their park/sleep and paid for the extra days of parking - $10/day comes to mind.

Enterprise in South Boston is the closest agency. There are rental car places in downtown Boston as well as the airport, but you have to check the hours carefully. Cabs between downtown and the port will be cheaper than cabs to the airport, but all should be $25-30 or less.

I saw "FloGaleRNTX" and realized...I know who that is! It's Barb! I haven't seen posts from you in quite some time and haven't been on the same cruise with you forever! How are you? Thanks for your info...Kathy and I are newbies to the northeast ports and need all the help we can get!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in. I apologize if it's not.

We, for some reason, are thinking of doing Seranade of the Seas repositioning in October. It leaves from Boston but returns to Fort Lauderdale.

Not sure how we would do this:

a) take a train from Stamford, CT to Boston day before cruise stay overnight in a hotel close to pier then fly home FLL to LGA. Would have to get car service from LGA to Stamford.

b) rent a car one way Stamford to Boston instead of train, stay overnight in hotel close to pier then fly home FLL to LGA.

c) drive our car up and find someplace to park for 12 days. I don't think we could park at the pier could we since the cruise does not return there? But then we would have to fly FLL to Boston and then drive home from Boston.

Not sure if logistics will work out but we like the itinerary and it's 12 days. No matter what we will have to fly back from FLL, unless we rent a car one way for both trips. Not sure how much it costs as we have never rented a car.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Edited by CruisingChick

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in. I apologize if it's not.

We, for some reason, are thinking of doing Seranade of the Seas repositioning in October. It leaves from Boston but returns to Fort Lauderdale.

Not sure how we would do this:

a) take a train from Stamford, CT to Boston day before cruise stay overnight in a hotel close to pier then fly home FLL to LGA. Would have to get car service from LGA to Stamford.

b) rent a car one way Stamford to Boston instead of train, stay overnight in hotel close to pier then fly home FLL to LGA.

c) drive our car up and find someplace to park for 12 days. I don't think we could park at the pier could we since the cruise does not return there? But then we would have to fly FLL to Boston and then drive home from Boston.

Not sure if logistics will work out but we like the itinerary and it's 12 days. No matter what we will have to fly back from FLL, unless we rent a car one way for both trips. Not sure how much it costs as we have never rented a car.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

To really keep your costs down, I would rent a car one way Stamford to Boston. I would Hotwire a hotel in the Newton/Waltham area (nice business hotels generally empty on the weekend), drive to the pier the next morning and drop off your luggage, go through the Ted Williams Tunnel to return the car at the airport (no toll going to the airport), take the free shuttle back to one of the terminals and take the free Silver Line back to the port (transfer to the SL2 at INDOOR World Trade Center Station stop).

Boston hotels are the price of Manhattan hotels. They are particularly busy on fall weekends. Figure car rental $50-60 and hotel $100-$150. Staying out further near Sturbridge could bring the hotel price down. You also might want to explore the Battle Road between Lexington and Concord and see the late foliage.

I'm not sure I was 100% clear. The $100-150 hotels on a weekend are outside Boston. The lowest priced Boston hotels have been running around $300 if not more. Downtown hotel parking is running $50-60.

No, I understood you. Thanks again. Now I just have to look into flights from FLL to LGA.

Call the Adams Best Western in Quincy first. Folks have used their park/sleep and paid for the extra days of parking - $10/day comes to mind.

Enterprise in South Boston is the closest agency. There are rental car places in downtown Boston as well as the airport, but you have to check the hours carefully. Cabs between downtown and the port will be cheaper than cabs to the airport, but all should be $25-30 or less.

We stayed at the Adams Inn for a repositioning cruise in 2014. There was no extra charge to leave the car there for that long. We had a hand out from when we had stayed there in Feb and it said you could leave your car for that long. Definitely reserve the shuttle when you reserve the room. We reserved the 10:00 and it was packed. The pub there is nice for supper. There were quite a few people all going on the Dawn in the morning. Breakfast was crazy. They didn't seemed prepared for such a large crowd. The actually ran out of coffee cups so had to use paper.

We stayed at the Adams Inn for a repositioning cruise in 2014. There was no extra charge to leave the car there for that long. We had a hand out from when we had stayed there in Feb and it said you could leave your car for that long. Definitely reserve the shuttle when you reserve the room. We reserved the 10:00 and it was packed. The pub there is nice for supper. There were quite a few people all going on the Dawn in the morning. Breakfast was crazy. They didn't seemed prepared for such a large crowd. The actually ran out of coffee cups so had to use paper.

Are you saying the have a shuttle to the cruise port or are you referring to an airport shuttle?

Thanks

Yes, but these folks live in Stamford, CT. They will probably have more choice with FLL to LGA flights and will arrive back only an hour from home instead of 4 hours from home. Only Jet Blue and Spirit seem to fly FLL to BOS nonstop.

Yes, but these folks live in Stamford, CT. They will probably have more choice with FLL to LGA flights and will arrive back only an hour from home instead of 4 hours from home. Only Jet Blue and Spirit seem to fly FLL to BOS nonstop.

Really? WOW, I didn't realize that, thanks.

Think best bet is rent car one way as you suggested and fly home FLL to LGA.

Guess I was confused. I thought some one had mentioned Adams Inn and that it would be about $10/day to park. We live 50 miles west of Boston so it was a good choice for us

Guess I was confused. I thought some one had mentioned Adams Inn and that it would be about $10/day to park. We live 50 miles west of Boston so it was a good choice for us

Someone did in a previous post and that would work out good for us if there were direct flights from FLL to Boston as we would not have to pay for rental car (we'd have our own) and would not have to pay for transporation to the pier and from the airport.

If we fly back into NYC we will have to get car service to Stamford and that's not cheap. Actually will probably cost just as much as the flight.

Someone did in a previous post and that would work out good for us if there were direct flights from FLL to Boston as we would not have to pay for rental car (we'd have our own) and would not have to pay for transporation to the pier and from the airport.

If we fly back into NYC we will have to get car service to Stamford and that's not cheap. Actually will probably cost just as much as the flight.

We fly direct from Ft Lauderdale to Boston. We cruise out of Miami but like Jet Blue so go to Ft Lauderdale then take a shuttle to Miami.

We fly direct from Ft Lauderdale to Boston. We cruise out of Miami but like Jet Blue so go to Ft Lauderdale then take a shuttle to Miami.

Okay, JetBlue's schedule is not out that far yet. I will check as soon as they open. When I did a search all the flights were connecting and taking about 6 hours. That is just wrong.

When you reserved the hotel do you call them directly or is there a web-site you have to book through?

Thanks for your help

Edited by CruisingChick

Okay, JetBlue's schedule is not out that far yet. I will check as soon as they open. When I did a search all the flights were connecting and taking about 6 hours. That is just wrong.

When you reserved the hotel do you call them directly or is there a web-site you have to book through?

Thanks for your help

You need to call direct in order to do the park n' fly deal. It is really important to book the shuttle at the same time as you book the room. I think Jet Blue will extend their schedule on Feb 7 but not far enough for us to check for our 2016 repositioning cruise.

Just an idea: If you fly into Newark (EWR) instead of LGA, you can take Amtrak from the airport station to Stamford for as little as $28 per person.

My brother in CT, a frequent flier, prefers to fly in and out of EWR rather than LGA or JFK mainly because of the ease of train travel between CT & EWR.

Just an idea: If you fly into Newark (EWR) instead of LGA, you can take Amtrak from the airport station to Stamford for as little as $28 per person.

My brother in CT, a frequent flier, prefers to fly in and out of EWR rather than LGA or JFK mainly because of the ease of train travel between CT & EWR.

Get out of town? Really? I had no clue and I have lived in Stamford all my life. My only concern is getting on that train with all our cruise luggage. I'm sure we will have 3 bags (and not small ones).

Get out of town? Really? I had no clue and I have lived in Stamford all my life. My only concern is getting on that train with all our cruise luggage. I'm sure we will have 3 bags (and not small ones).

It's a well-kept secret.;) I know from long personal experience that native Nutmeg Staters consider New Jersey to be a strange and foreign land, and New Jerseyans likewise regard Connecticut as a different country. (I speak as someone who grew up in your neck of the woods and didn't set foot in NJ until middle age, and then only with great trepidation.:eek::D)

I see luggage-laden travelers going to & from EWR on the train all the time; indeed, my wife & I routinely travel to/from EWR by train. Newark Liberty Airport station is virtually adjacent to the airport; a connecting monorail (the "airtrain") designed for travelers with luggage runs between all three EWR terminals and the station and takes just a few minutes. Everything is well signposted, and there are convenient elevators as well as escalators, so no stairs to climb at any point of the journey.

It's a well-kept secret.;) I know from long personal experience that native Nutmeg Staters consider New Jersey to be a strange and foreign land, and New Jerseyans likewise regard Connecticut as a different country. (I speak as someone who grew up in your neck of the woods and didn't set foot in NJ until middle age, and then only with great trepidation.:eek::D)

I see luggage-laden travelers going to & from EWR on the train all the time; indeed, my wife & I routinely travel to/from EWR by train. Newark Liberty Airport station is virtually adjacent to the airport; a connecting monorail (the "airtrain") designed for travelers with luggage runs between all three EWR terminals and the station and takes just a few minutes. Everything is well signposted, and there are convenient elevators as well as escalators, so no stairs to climb at any point of the journey.

Well we don't feel that way about NJ especially since Celebirty and Royal started crusing from Bayonne. We have done over 13 cruises from Cape Liberty.

Thank God for EZ Pass.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel for our RCCL Cruise in September. We have never been to Boston and know nothing about the public transportation system. We will probably have one full day to tour before boarding the ship on Sunday. We realize that Boston is very expensive to stay but we would like to have a reasonably priced hotel close to things to do.

If anyone can recommend hotels and tourist ideas it would be appreciated.

Hello,

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel for our RCCL Cruise in September. We have never been to Boston and know nothing about the public transportation system. We will probably have one full day to tour before boarding the ship on Sunday. We realize that Boston is very expensive to stay but we would like to have a reasonably priced hotel close to things to do.

If anyone can recommend hotels and tourist ideas it would be appreciated.

What exact dates do you need a room? What is your hotel budget? How many people? Any special bed requirements?