Overnight on Embarkation day

mrsaquashark

Hi all,

DH and I are considering the 6/23/16 Baltic cruise on the Quest and I have a question about the logistics of embarkation day (in Stockholm in this case) when the ship doesn't depart until the next afternoon.

Because of the length of the cruise (10 days) we would fly in on embarkation day to explore Stockholm and give ourselves the extra day on the Copenhagen end. When would things like muster occur? I realize that muster is mandatory, so I am curious about how it is handled when some passengers might be tempted to simply drop luggage at the port and then only turn up in time to sleep.

There are two possible icelandair flights from NYC that land in Stockholm that day, and taking the later one makes the logistics of the trip more manageable for DH with the demnds of his job, but if we have to be on the ship at say 4:30pm for muster, it makes sense for us to think about the earlier flight.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

IMHO arriving on an overseas flight on the day of departure is very risky. If something goes wrong and your flight is late or cancelled, you may miss the sailing altogether. If you were flying into Stockholm from a European city (such as London or Paris) with multiple flights per day, you would have some wiggle room, but coming from New York...I would arrive the day before. And then there is the issue of the muster...it's important and they want you to participate for safety's sake. There's plenty to do in Stockholm for your one day, and you will be jet-lagged anyway. My opinion, but I do believe this is a risk.

Hi all,

DH and I are considering the 6/23/16 Baltic cruise on the Quest and I have a question about the logistics of embarkation day (in Stockholm in this case) when the ship doesn't depart until the next afternoon.

Because of the length of the cruise (10 days) we would fly in on embarkation day to explore Stockholm and give ourselves the extra day on the Copenhagen end. When would things like muster occur? I realize that muster is mandatory, so I am curious about how it is handled when some passengers might be tempted to simply drop luggage at the port and then only turn up in time to sleep.

There are two possible icelandair flights from NYC that land in Stockholm that day, and taking the later one makes the logistics of the trip more manageable for DH with the demnds of his job, but if we have to be on the ship at say 4:30pm for muster, it makes sense for us to think about the earlier flight.

if i am reading this right you would fly in on a tuesday and you sail on wednesday. they always have a make up muster drill about 9 pm on over nights.. many people fly in get on ship and leave again to sightsee. .but you will be so tired you will not see much. I have done the make up drill several times.. you get notices on your bed, under the door. .but it is always 9 pm..

Well that's the beauty of the overnight, isn't it? Quite frankly, because of work schedules, and the fact that DH can't be out of the office too long, we either fly in on embarkation day or we can't go. However, if muster is the next day, a flight that arrives at noon rather than 6am gives him an extra day in the office before the trip.

The only reason we can even consider 10 days in this case is the fact that it encompasses two weekends and July 4th.

If anyone with experience with the embarkation overnight can tell their experience with the admin aspects of embarkation, I would appreciate it, as I haven't done it before.

9pm, excellent! Thanks so much Robin!

And we know we'll be tired, but we have pretty good experience with the push through form of dealing with jet lag, as we wouldn't have the time to take these trips otherwise! We recently managed a full day of touring in Istanbul, not getting back to our hotel until 9pm after having landed at 10am that morning, so that aspect doesn't worry me.

9pm, excellent! Thanks so much Robin!

And we know we'll be tired, but we have pretty good experience with the push through form of dealing with jet lag, as we wouldn't have the time to take these trips otherwise! We recently managed a full day of touring in Istanbul, not getting back to our hotel until 9pm after having landed at 10am that morning, so that aspect doesn't worry me.

Since I have done the make up drill at least twice and not 3 times i know t at 9.. i think it has to do with dinner on the ship. .most people are done by 9 . i have been on a plane for one make up and the other time i was doing two cruises and i am always out sightseeing at 4 .since they use the MDR the 1st one is at 4 so they can set up tables after.. it is rare if ever these times change.

Hi all,

Just back from the Quest. We were scheduled to sail at 6 pm on the 30th but there was bad weather so the Captain decided to stay at Barcelona and depart at 8 pm on Oct 1 so we ended up with an overnight. We missed the muster but they had a makeup drill at 5 pm the next day which unfortunately we also missed. They left us a voice mail instructing us to read the emergency procedures carefully and memorize our Muster Station which we did promptly...no big deal at all.

I have sailed on other lines and missed the muster drill and attended a make up the next morning at sea.

Bottom line enjoy your sightseeing and the Muster Drill will take care of itself.