another tipping question

smrtypnts

Yes, it's yet another tipping question.

In an effort to pay a little less, we booked my nephew with my in an inside cabin with his uncle. the fact of the matter is my nephew will be staying with his parents one deck up in a balcony cabin. (yes, the balcony cabin accomodates 3 people.)

soooooo, does the steward that will be handling my nephew's cabin receive tips from 3 people and the inside cabin receive tips from 1 person or should we tip both stewards for 2 people each, even though the steward for the balcony cabin will be cleaning up for 3? OR, is it necessary for the people involved to tip the balcony cabin steward for 3 and even though the inside cabin will only have 1 person in it, we should tip him for 2 since that's how the doc's read?

I would tip at least the full amount for the 3 people staying in the balcony room as a bed will have to be made everyday and there will be more towels and such to clean up. I would tip a little extra in the original room but don't feel it has to be the full amount.

I feel the opposite, I'd tip the full amount for the cabin with only one person, but add about half a tip to the cabin that he's actually staying in. Actually I'd tip full for both, but I tend to double the suggested tip, so I'd tip the suggested for both.

Anne

I'm a first time cruise, may I ask when I pay the tips then ? My TA told me that a charge card will be given and will automatically add the tips (amount is suggested by RC, i.e. $10 per day) to my account ? So I need to pay double tips ?:confused:

I would suggest tipping the full amount for nephew in the cabin he will be staying in, but also doing at least half for the cabin he will not be in. The reason is because the cabin stewart has been assigned the room due to the number of folks that are assigned to it, not the number actually staying in it. He may have been given an extra room if just one person was assigned to this cabin. And with the price of gas today - $20, $30, or $40 means a lot!!!!

I think I understand why ya'll booked this way, 3rd person in the balcony was higher than the 2nd in an inside, plus the Uncle didnt have to pay the huge single person fare. Did I read between the lines OK ? :D

As others have posted, each Steward is assigned his # of cabins based on the # of pax booked into those cabins, so 1 would get a bonus, and the other a cut, while 1 doing more than expected, yet the other not needing too. So ```````IMHO``````the fair thing to do for both Stewards is tip the full amount to both. At $3.50 or so a day, ( x2 ) it is still a very large savings over booking the cabins this way from the get go.

I think I understand why ya'll booked this way, 3rd person in the balcony was higher than the 2nd in an inside, plus the Uncle didnt have to pay the huge single person fare. Did I read between the lines OK ? :D

As others have posted, each Steward is assigned his # of cabins based on the # of pax booked into those cabins, so 1 would get a bonus, and the other a cut, while 1 doing more than expected, yet the other not needing too. So ```````IMHO``````the fair thing to do for both Stewards is tip the full amount to both. At $3.50 or so a day, ( x2 ) it is still a very large savings over booking the cabins this way from the get go.

You read between the lines, exactly right wallie5446! Yes, in the end, I think you're right. For the measily $25, I think it's the right thing to do! I'm going to pass this info onto the uncle who got the savings because he didn't have to pay double the fare to begin with!

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I really appreciate it!!

Archived