Juneau helicopter tours

rocklinmom

So Princess offers two different helicopter tours in Juneau, one that goes to Mendenhall Glacier and another that goes to one or more of "4 glaciers". The cost difference is about $25. The only differences that I can see are that the 4 glacier one is handicapped accessible and has a minimum age requirement, while the Mendenhall one doesn't have either of these. Has anyone been on either of these excursions recently? My husband wants to do this but I can't decide between the two. Any info appreciated...

The differences are 2 different vendors. It doesn't matter which glacier you land at- all are in a constant state of change. With the small price difference- I'm assuming these are both single landings? the "4 glacier " mention- gives the vendor a lot more leeway in their tours, where they land.

There is also a third helicopter vendor- who is independent, with all three companies long standing and well run.

Thanks guys, so any recommendations of one company over another? And someone told me that they place you in the helicopter by weight, so he could end up in a middle seat...

I have flown with all three. As I mentioned, all were extremely well run companies. I've had good flights on all of them,- but a few were stand outs, simply due to longer flying and getting farther. Longer equals more.

I don't have any "favorites", since it's difficult to get preferred pilots due to schedules, which for infrequent visitors- wouldn't matter.

Yes, you sit where they tell you, based on weight and balance.

I recently did a helicopter tour in Juneau (through Crown Princess). I did the "4 glacier" tour. I really enjoyed it, especially when the pilot landed on one of the glaciers and we got to go out and walk around a bit. Our tour was through Era Helicopters. The pilot was very knowledgeable about Juneau and the glaciers (he had piloted for Era for 3 seasons). Also, after our landing, we got to trade seats, so other people could share in the good views.

Since I am small and light, I ended up sitting in the middle for our flight up to the glacier. On the way back, I was able to sit next to the door (in the back). It did help that the other passengers in the helicopter were nice and helped me with my pictures (we also exchanged emails and were able to exchange pictures after the cruise).

I had originally signed up for the Pilot's Choice helicopter tour (which entailed 2 glacier landings and a longer flight time), but the day before we got into Juneau, I was informed that my tour was cancelled and that I would be able to take this tour instead. I was happy with the substitution.

Edited by renaissancewoman101