Do Canadian citizens require ESTA?

cruise101

Good afternoon all:

We are booked on a Transatlantic cruise leaving out of Southampton. Boston will be our first port arrival in the US. I have seen some discussion on our sailing's Roll Call board re the requirement for non-US citizens to obtain an ESTA (Electronic Systems for Travel Authorization) prior to boarding the ship. However, since Canadian citizens do not require a visa to enter the USA, I had assumed that there was no requirement for Canadian citizens to obtain ESTA for this cruise.

I received an email from Celebrity this morning saying that we should have an ESTA or else we will be denied boarding on to the ship.

I reviewed the US Embassy in Canada website, which states as follows:

"On 12 January 2009, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) introduced ESTA, the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. This online system is part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), and all nationals or citizens of VWP countries -- excluding Canada -- who plan to travel to the United States for 90 days or less for temporary business or pleasure under the VWP need to receive an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding a U.S.-bound airplane or cruise ship."

If anyone has personal experience on this matter, I'd appreciate hearing (before its too late to apply for an ESTA) Celebrity's policy in this regard. In response to their email of this morning, I have also just sent Celebrity this question, but I am not sure if the mail-box from which the original note was sent is being monitored. Hence the questions.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Behram

Think you need to contact Celebrity. Canadians do not need anything other than a passport to enter the USA.

ESTA is needed for the following countries:

VISA WAIVER PROGRAM COUNTRIES

You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you are a citizen or national of one of the Visa Waiver Program countries listed below. Learn more about the eligibility requirements.

Andorra

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brunei

Chile

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Monaco

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Portugal

Republic of Malta

San Marino

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan[1]

United Kingdom

The ESTA site says the following: Do I need to apply for ESTA if...?

I am a citizen of Canada?

No, citizens of Canada who are traveling with a Canadian passport do not need an ESTA.

This is correct, us Canadians DO NOT REQIRE an ESTA for this cruise. I've just spoken to Celebrity (who confirmed with their Resolutions Department) that Canadians will just need their passport when checking in. THAT'S IT.

Jason

I have answered the OP on our roll call. Why call Celebrity when they don't know what they are talking about? We received 2 emails and 2 telephone calls about this! Your answer, az tchr, is correct, as is everyone else's.

Edited by TeaBag

Another subject that has surfaced on the Roll Call is "zero clearing" the ship at the 1st US port. Passengers on this same TA cruise last year have said that the ship was "zero cleared" in Manhattan, the first US port. Miami was the terminus/disembarkation port. Needless to say this is more involved (and takes more time) than a normal port of call. It will really affect passengers with independent shore excursion plans!

Does anyone know the reason for this? The only time we have been on a ship that was "zero cleared" was due to the terminus of the cruise.

Another unique feature of this cruise is due to the itinerary. The ports are Boston, NYC, Bermuda, Port Canaveral and Miami in that order. I believe we will have to go through US immigration two times (three times if you count Miami)!

Dan

Edited by dj_crusin

Thx everyone for your prompt responses. Just a quick note to say that I have as yet not received any response from X re the question I post to them via email yesterday. If I do get one I will post it on this board. Thx again & hoping that there will be no shenanigans on this matter when we try to embark at Southampton.