Come On Carnival, Stop supporting Montego Bay

chichigirl

A MUST READ. This is so sad and I did not realize how bad it is. I know that this goes on in a lot of countries and even here in the states, but after reading this I wish I had not spent my hard earned American dollars in Montego Bay, where I have been so many times, not only on cruise ships but all inclusive resorts as well. On my future cruises that include a stop in Jamaica, I WILL NOT be getting off the ship and leaving anymore of my money in this country. Yes, I know Jamaica is an all time favorite, but, I can feel this horrible story in my blood because from my first visit to Jamaica I learned very fast these people absolutely DO NOT know the meaning of the word "NO" and I guess that is what makes them such good scammers.

BTW, my last trip to Jamaica last year, I was duped by a big time recommended jewelry store, only to find out what I bought was junk and had to fight thru carnivals guarantee program to get my money back which took forever.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/07/us/jamaica-lottery-scam-suicide/index.html

Amazing how many vacationers simply refuse to look into where they are

planning to vacation. Not important to them and their families, I guess !

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Jamaica-has-6th-highest-homicide-rate-worldwide---UN-report

11 of the USA's most dangerous cities are in Florida!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/31/most-dangerous-cities-florida_n_4524866.html

Edited by esdoorn

It's amazing to me how many people post multiple condescending responses just to make themselves feel superior.

As to the OP, i don't believe the vast majority of your tourist dollars are ending up in the hands of these lotto scammers. I would suggest that by not visiting the island and supporting the local economy with tourist (legitimate) dollars, you are actually adding to the problem. As less legitimate income is available to the locals, they're left wit no choice but to participate in the illegal activities.

It's amazing to me how many people post multiple condescending responses just to make themselves feel superior.

As to the OP, i don't believe the vast majority of your tourist dollars are ending up in the hands of these lotto scammers. I would suggest that by not visiting the island and supporting the local economy with tourist (legitimate) dollars, you are actually adding to the problem. As less legitimate income is available to the locals, they're left wit no choice but to participate in the illegal activities.

Very well said

We also agree with your assessment.

As to Carnival not supporting MB by not going there anymore - When passengers no longer book the cruises with stops in MB THEN CCL will make changes ... but not until.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Removing your tourist dollars only hurts the local economy even more (which not only hurts the locals but the revenue available to spend on local law enforcement!).

There is crime everywhere. I'm not going to stop traveling just because something not-nice happened somewhere. Good grief. I live in Durham, NC! Not-nice things happen here daily! Doesn't mean I'm going to refuse to leave the house and not spend any money locally.

So I guess Ocho Rios and Falmouth are ok?

I was in Ocho Rios about 9 months ago and the positive changes I saw there were amazing! A new port area, paved roads, , people landscaping and planting flowers, cutting grass, very few beggars, no one attempting to sell phony weed......most improved port from the derelict way it used to be.

I have no idea why the OP is blaming MoBay for getting ripped off at a Carnival approved guarantee store???????

I've vacationed in MoBay twice, once on Doctor Cave's beach where Sandals is now and once at Secrets St James. Both times went out on the hip strip, to the Pork Pit, visited Negril and YS Falls, no problem mon! Be visiting there again next week on the Magic!

Edited by evandbob

That's good to know. I'll be in Ocho Rios next Thursday. I didn't have any problems there the last 2 times but it felt like a place I needed to be a little more cautious than usual once out of the port area. We were offered weed every time we've been there but I didn't get close enough to find out if it was fake or not.

Overall most people seemed nice. Montego Bay didn't have much in the port area and isn't close to anything so not much to do if you don't have an excursion planned.

Per the article the OP listed:

Thirty-two people in the United States and Jamaica were indicted in the scheme.

There were people in the US also involved. I think we can agree not all who live in the US are bad just like we should agree not all who live in Jamaican are.

Jamaica is a beautiful island. That being said, we won't get off the ship there again just because of the aggressive nature of those who are having struggles. Were they not as aggressive, it would be a different matter.

Just my two cents.

Edited by nchikk

We don't plan to get off the ship in Jamaica. On our first cruise we were cornered in shops by aggressive ladies who would not let us leave until we bought stuff. After we bought something all the other shops/stalls would corner us and force us to buy from them because we bought from someone else.

I personally do not like the place because of that and we have not been back. I know there are many things to do, and the only way I would even think about going ashore in that country is if we have a carnival booked excursion that does not stop in the local shops.

That is the only stop we've had that we felt any concern for our safety when shopping.

We don't plan to get off the ship in Jamaica. On our first cruise we were cornered in shops by aggressive ladies who would not let us leave until we bought stuff. After we bought something all the other shops/stalls would corner us and force us to buy from them because we bought from someone else.

I personally do not like the place because of that and we have not been back. I know there are many things to do, and the only way I would even think about going ashore in that country is if we have a carnival booked excursion that does not stop in the local shops.

That is the only stop we've had that we felt any concern for our safety when shopping.

As a native New Yorker, I'm not intimidated by aggressive salespersons in Jamaica, Mexico, or any major American city. I guess by growing up in NY I got into the practice of dealing with vendors and the moxie to deal with all kinds of people, since that is New York City - all kinds of people.

"One love, mon" and "everythin' Irie" when said with an engaging smile works wonders in MoBay and elsewhere in Jamaica, including those pesky vendors outside of Dunns Falls. I've never had to use de-escalating tactics since the situations never developed to that point.

Jamaica is a beautiful island and I love going there. But this is one place where you NEED to be extra careful of your surroundings and the places you go outside the port. I have many close friends (old and young) who were born and raised in Jamaica who now live in the U.S. and the stories they've told me are unreal (murders, beheadings, rapes) and it's only getting worse. It's so bad that even they won't travel after dark or outside the tourist zones when they visit. Last April we had their family come visit us at the port in Ocho Rios and the farthest we drove was to a beach about 5 minutes away. Jamaica is no place to be complacent, you can get murdered over just a few dollars.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Jamaica is a beautiful island and I love going there. But this is one place where you NEED to be extra careful of your surroundings and the places you go outside the port. I have many close friends (old and young) who were born and raised in Jamaica who now live in the U.S. and the stories they've told me are unreal (murders, beheadings, rapes) and it's only getting worse. It's so bad that even they won't travel after dark or outside the tourist zones when they visit. Last April we had their family come visit us at the port in Ocho Rios and the farthest we drove was to a beach about 5 minutes away. Jamaica is no place to be complacent, you can get murdered over just a few dollars.

Same can be said about ANY Caribbean port................;)

Edited by RaiderFaninNM

I've visited different cities in Jamaica, both on cruises and at AI's. I have always enjoyed the country and hope to visit again before too long. I enjoy the vendors. Even in Progresso, in Mexico, I enjoy the vendors although I know some people hate them.

As a native New Yorker, I'm not intimidated by aggressive salespersons in Jamaica, Mexico, or any major American city. I guess by growing up in NY I got into the practice of dealing with vendors and the moxie to deal with all kinds of people, since that is New York City - all kinds of people.

"One love, mon" and "everythin' Irie" when said with an engaging smile works wonders in MoBay and elsewhere in Jamaica, including those pesky vendors outside of Dunns Falls. I've never had to use de-escalating tactics since the situations never developed to that point.

Eh, we've experienced pressured sales tactics in New Orleans and in other Caribbean and Bahamas locations, none were as aggressive as the folks in Montego Bay. I was merely sharing my experience, which was enough for us to make "is jamaica on the itinerary?" a primary question when looking for cruises.

If the Jamaican government sponsored and ran the scam I could see your point of boycotting them, but they didnt. Still there are plenty of good folks there worth supporting.

Would you boycott Florida or cruising out of Florida? We are replete with scammers down here.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy