HAL "Friends and Family" rates

Swelldame

Does anyone have experience booking with HAL's Friends and Family rates? Is it basically standby, like Interline rates? Can you choose your cabin category or even cabin? Will HAL book the airline, or is it all cruise only? Any insight would be appreciated :)

Friend and Family is an internal benefit for friends and family of HAL employees... not sure it would be appropriate to go into the specifics about it in a public forum. I would recommend you contact the employee extending the offer to you and ask them about the specifics. If they are uncertain they can get the details for the appropriate HAL department.

I was going to say the same thing. It's not just another "sale". It's an internal program for HAL employees and retirees. I'm familiar with this from the many years my DH worked at HAL.

I agree, the eligible employee should either know the answers to your question, or know where to find out.

There's definitely a process to follow, and confirmation is somewhat between last minute and further out depending on availability. There were times that we needed to do things like coordinate complicated overseas airfare and time off at my job far in advance, and the program didn't work for us in that regard so we booked it ourselves as regularly paying passengers. Other times the program worked marvelously.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Thanks, WeLoveCruising; right you are. My employee friend was busy working, but I found the particulars and FAQs with Google, and he just confirmed the link. Not sure if the logistics will work for us this time, but what a sweetie he is to offer.

Thanks, WeLoveCruising; right you are. My employee friend was busy working, but I found the particulars and FAQs with Google, and he just confirmed the link. Not sure if the logistics will work for us this time, but what a sweetie he is to offer.

I hope it works out for you. It is really a nice benefit. My DH hasn't worked for HAL in nearly 10 years, so I dont know if the rules have changed. I know when he was there we were highly discouraged from talking publicly about the benefit, especially the costs. I mention that because if it's still the case I am sure you don't want anything negatively reflecting on your friend. I would play it safe and not ask about it on the forum.

Thank you to the posters that have pointed out that this information should be kept private. A while back someone came on here and gave specific interline pricing. It's supposed to be confidential and best kept that way.

All this information (regarding HAL or Interline) is now readily available to anyone, online. It's just not a big, state secret anymore and there's no need for it to be kept private. Qualifying for it is something else, and procedures are put in place to ensure it's not taken advantage of by unqualified people. As you can see by my original post I was more curious about the logistical issues and was not asking anyone to quote prices, just their experiences. I certainly wouldn't be so gauche as to run around onboard bragging about the "deal" I got through my friend.

In this case, the extra last-minute flight costs would far outweigh the moderate friends and family discount offered. End of thread. :rolleyes: