Complimentary Upgrade

rupert5

Hey everyone!

I noticed today that there was a price drop of about $600 on my Dec. Gem cruise so I wanted to see what my options were. Just some background--I booked through an online agency not direct with NCL so I am dealing with them. I am already past final payment, so I know I won't get that money back. I am in a balcony and have UBP and free gratuities with $100 OBC and third person sails free, so we paid about $900 each for the 10 day cruise (I know, this was a really good deal, and I know I shouldn't expect more--but what's the worst that can happen, they say no?)

So, I reached out to the customer service people at the agent I used and they responded with what I knew was the case, since it is past final payment I can't be refunded by they would be happy to see if there are any complimentary upgrades available. Would this mean a room upgrade, or OBC?

My question is, is there any chance we could be upgraded to a suite? We chose the balcony over the mini suite since there wasn't really any difference but a tub. If offered, I'm not sure we would take it since it isn't much additional room and no suite perks. Has anyone been in this situation before?

I know everyone's situation is different, just curious to see if there's a chance...will be happy with our balcony no matter what, so anything additional is a cherry on top!

Thanks for your opinions and any pieces of info you can share! :)

I think the chances of being offered a complimentary upgrade to a suite are pretty slim. Are you willing to pay for an upgrade to a suite? I think them offering you an upsell is more likely. Are there a lot of suites available for your sailing?

We were in similar situation. This morning I called and we were upgraded to minisuite, cost was less than that of a drink - tax changed a little. Initially offered a Guarantee but I said we needed to be near elevators/stairs so got a firm cabin assignment. UBP etc unchanged. Very pleasant agent and well pleased with the outcome. Give 'em a call:)

I think the chances of being offered a complimentary upgrade to a suite are pretty slim. Are you willing to pay for an upgrade to a suite? I think them offering you an upsell is more likely. Are there a lot of suites available for your sailing?

That's what I figured--slim to none...if it were reasonable, I would be willing to pay for the upsell. I just thought it was weird that the email specifically said "However, I will be happy to check to see if there is a complimentary upgrade available for your reservation." Would that probably mean a better location (we are currently on 9 midship--so pretty happy with that)? Would anyone suggest choosing the minisuite over the balcony?

We were in similar situation. This morning I called and we were upgraded to minisuite, cost was less than that of a drink - tax changed a little. Initially offered a Guarantee but I said we needed to be near elevators/stairs so got a firm cabin assignment. UBP etc unchanged. Very pleasant agent and well pleased with the outcome. Give 'em a call:)

Were you happy with the minisuite?

Were you happy with the minisuite?

Well, ask me in mid-December:D

We're happy with the location, under the library, and very close to elevator/stairs as requested; the larger balcony will be nice.

Minisuites on Jewel class are on deck 11 so you need to know what would be above you.

Edited by pspercy

Well, ask me in mid-December:D

We're happy with the location, under the library, and very close to elevator/stairs as requested; the larger balcony will be nice.

Minisuites on Jewel class are on deck 11 so you need to know what would be above you.

Duh...I should have read your reply more closely! Thanks for the hints & tricks. I will keep them in mind when they get back to me. Under the library sounds perfect lol.

I would take a mini suite any day. The bathrooms are much larger - not just the additional of a tub. The balconies are larger. And, in my view, the location is usually better.

terry

oh wow, I didn't know the bathrooms/balconies were larger....that kinda changes everything. Thanks! :)

Well...they called back lol. They offered me an upgrade to the B2 category--family balcony. Since we aren't traveling with kids and don't necessarily want to be any closer to the splash academy, I decided to decline their offer. They told me to upgrade to a minisuite it would be about $900 more...so definitely not what I would consider "reasonable". They told me to keep trying back if I see any other changes, or to just give them a ring as we get closer and they might have other options for me, which is appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the help and tips!!

For the record, I had reserved a standard balcony for my upcoming Getaway cruise. I used an online agency also, with 100 OBC plus the NCL perks.

I wanted an AFT large balcony but it was close to 500 more and I couldn't justify the price.

After final payment, the AFT eventually came down to the same price as my regular balcony.

I called the online agency and they put me on hold while they talked to NCL.

After a couple of minutes I had my AFT. I kept all of my perks and did not have to cancel and rebook. Very happy here.

Thanks everyone for your comments & insight! I wanted to give an update...I noticed an even bigger drop (I think I might be getting obsessed with tracking these things lol) so I called my TA back. She was super helpful and called ncl for me. She was able to negotiate an upgrade to a minisuite with balcony for only $25!!!! Total...not per person! I'm almost shocked how lucky we are!! I'm happy I kept an eye on it, and super grateful for the good help of my TA. I was very nervous about working with one, but my sister booked it and even though I'm usually the one that handles vacations, I let her do this one (maybe not if I'm still doing some of the work haha).

48 days and counting!!!

Edited by rupert5