Is it worth booking an Aft Balcony?

zebra

We had a aft/stern cabin on the Grand on the Caribe deck, category PS. With the deck doors open, the sound of rushing water was pretty loud (can't hear someone knocking on the cabin door); but we loved it. Sounded like you were next to a waterfall. But you can always keep the doors closed, too. Engine noise was not noticeable. As for balcony size, it was huge...but I'm sure it's different as far as deck, category cabin, or ship.

we just booked an aft cabin on the Star. Although it is not a mini suite, just a catagory BB (C752 & C753). We want a cabin that when you look straight you can see the ocean, not other balconies. I think these aft cabins are what we want. What do you think??

Sensation 5/96

Monarch of the Seas 4/97

Inspiration 3/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/02

Fantasy 12/02

Radiance of the Seas 3/03

Adventure of the Seas 3/04

Zebra,

We have aft cabin 6090 on the Tahitian Princess for this fall and we are beginning to wonder if we did the right thing. We had an aft cabin on RCI's Explorer of the Seas this past November and loved it! The reason we are concerned is people on these boards tell me you may feel the vibrations and it is a solid wall before the top railing. From the pictures I have seen you should be able to sit and still look out at the ocean.

We wanted a mini suite in the aft, but they only have the Owner's Suites and I can't find anyone who wants to pay for it, so I guess we will stick it out for now and see what happens.

So I guess the answer would be...it depends on the ship.

Enjoy your cruising!!!

DONNA

=^..^=

Donna.gif

We have an Aft BB this Saturday, so I'll let you know what we think. I'm so excited to have an Aft for the first time. I spend A LOT of time on the balcony and I can just picture myself staring for hours back there.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh icon_eek.gif

<h3><font color=orange>Yvonne

<h6>

<font color=darkblue>

Norwegian Skyward "Our Honeymoon" 10/88 ~ S. Caribbean

Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas 3/98 ~ W. Caribbean Circle

Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas 3/15/02 ~ W. Caribbean Circle

Princess Cruise Star Princess 5/03/03 ~ Mexican Riviera

Next Cruise ~ Princess Cruise Diamond Princess 4/24/04 ~ Mexican Riviera

My pics of C752 on the Grand - the pictures say it all! I wouldn't take any other cabin (maybe C753!):

http://community.webshots.com/album/102025550UlWCMW

Days until Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;09;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

"Marciemi" Thank you for the great pictures!!! Now I'm confident we made the right choice for us. I can't wait to show my sister and brother-in-law (we booked C752 & C753). My sister was alittle hesitant on these cabins, but now that she sees your pics, she will be thrilled!!

Sensation 5/96

Monarch of the Seas 4/97

Inspiration 3/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/02

Fantasy 12/02

Radiance of the Seas 3/03

Adventure of the Seas 3/04

Aft cabins on the Grand-Class ships are absolutely HORRIBLE. Terrible. The pits. The bane of cruising. Can't imagine why ANYONE would ever request one.

Don't believe a WORD about how the balconies are larger than the other BB class balconies. Disregard the comments about the increased comfort due to the lack of wind, or the lies about the wonderful sound of the ship's wake lulling you to sleep at night, to the point that you'll wind up sleeping out there a couple times just cuz it's so wonderful, or the propoganda about the increased privacy and lack of outside noise because you're at the very end of the hallway.

These are all just myths perpetuated by Princess to trick people into taking these horrible, uncomfortable, undesirable cabins. Don't do it. As a favor, I'm warning you, just cuz I'm such a nice guy. And no, I'd NEVER try to steer someone away from these cabins just so I'd have a better chance of getting one next time around icon_rolleyes.gif ...

B. (recently of Cabin C752, Golden Princess)

Ship_at_island.gif

Ohhh these moments we’re left with -- May you always remember

These moments are shared by few

And those harbor lights, lord, they’re coming into view

We’ll bid our farewells much too soon

So drink it up, this one’s for you -

Honey, it’s been a lovely cruise.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

(Golden Princess, 4/10/04 - "Grown People Acting Like Children!")

4/10/04 Golden Princess Rogue's gallery: http://community.webshots.com/album/126040133QEaDiP

Cruise pix at: http://community.webshots.com/user/mageesworld

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

bobandkaren,

Very cute! I did wonder the same thing myself but princess keeps building more ships and while it seems like the whole world reads Cruise Critic, it's really only the discerning few so I think we're safe sharing the "secret".

marciemi- Your pictures are great of the aft balcony cabins, thanxs for sharing them with everyone! I was looking at booking one of those and now want to even more! However, those aft cabins on the deck directly above you look as though someone could almost climb into them from above! yikes!

Marciemi, What great pics!

I have a couple more questions:

Can you hear the wake at night with the door closed?

Which deck were you on - Caribe?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Diamond Princess 5/8/2004 Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Millenium 9/6/2004 to Europe!

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

We are booked on the Dolphin Deck D730 on the Caribbean Princess. Is this still considered an Aft cabin? Anyone have an aft cabin on the Dolphin Deck? If so, do tell!

Bob&Karen, did I read a bit of sarcasm in your post?

We had an aft cabin on the Emerald Deck on the Grand a few years ago for a 16 day cruise. It was awesome especially when viewing both sides of the Gibraltar Strait and the river into Lisbon.

However, the noise on that deck level was extreme when cruising at speed. When we talked to each other we could only see our lips moving, could not hear a peep. When we played a CD, we could turn it up all the way and not hear it at all.

We were upgraded to that cabin from the lowest inside category on a late guarantee so we weren't complaining and loved so much of it. But...if I was picking a cabin I would go way higher.

As far as I can determine, I don't see any aft cabins on the Island Princess. Am I right? What would be the best mini suites on that ship? Right now we have a guarantee AE category. Thanks, Fran

Sorry I didn't write more earlier with my pics - was rushed and wanted to get them in at least. We LOVED our balcony - it was on Caribe deck which I think was perfect. People talk about the walking, but you're really right up from the restaurants, right below the aft pool and Horizon's.

We didn't notice the loud noise - it was noisy on the balcony when the ship was moving, but it seemed as noisy or louder on the side balconies we visited because there was so much more wind. At night we slept with the balcony door open each night and you could definitely hear the wake. I think with it closed you wouldn't unless you were really listening. The first night we even slept out on the balcony for much of the night - it was so beautiful! One warning on the Grand at least one night there was a big aft pool party and with the door closed, curtains drawn, noise machine on, and earplugs in I could still hear the music! But that was only once!

The best part of this balcony was the privacy. If you look at the side balconies, either you have a tiny balcony (the top decks) or people can look right down into your balcony, or if you're on a higher deck up into your balcony. On ours, looking down you looked straight down to the water. Above you was protected by the balcony above - we probably had sun 1/3 of the time and shade 2/3 which was perfect since it was really hot. You couldn't see people above or below you (or they you) unless you were both standing out at the rail.

Another nice thing is being a corner balcony you have two views, and only one neighbor. We could see our one neighbor if we craned our neck around the divider (we'd do this when we came out to see if someone was out so we'd be quieter since the few times he was out he was sleeping/sunbathing).

I agree with the above poster that the top decks would be terrible. From the aft pool, everyone can look right into your balcony and there would be constant traffic above you. Also agree that we spent WAY more time in our cabin (actually balcony) than we would have in any other cabin, even a regular balcony one. The first day we got to Princess Cay and were basically like, "well, we can go on a crowded tender to a crowded hot beach and get all hot and sandy and eat hamburgers" OR "we could lay out on our balcony and watch everyone tender over to the beach and eat a real lunch in the dining room". Guess which one we did?

Giadav - only thing I would warn you with your cabins is it will be a good walk between them! Unlike the RCCL ships where the back cabins are all connected by the same hallway, on the Grand at least there was a hallway on each side that ended at C752/3. So to get from one to the other you'd have to walk up to the elevator area, then back to the other one. I'd still take these cabins in a heartbeat, but if I had kids or older parents in the other cabin, just realize you're not too close to them! We loved being at the end of the hallway because there was NO traffic - no one ever came back there except our steward and the people from the one suite next door.

Also, the aft BB's are really just rooms and I was surprised at how small they were. We'd been on cruises and know cabins aren't that large, but from reading these boards I was expecting more storage space at least. There was very little, and we kept 2 suitcases under the bed full and just pulled them out to get stuff. Obviously the space everyone talks about is in the minisuites, and the aft BB's were no larger than a regular cabin. After we got home I realized we hadn't taken any pics of our cabin itself, but it wasn't very exciting - that's why we spent most of our time on the balcony!

The cabin did have more motion than I'd expected from this large of a ship. Nothing you'd get sick from, but just kind of a weird sensation to get used to.

In case I didn't mention it, we LOVED this balcony! I'll be glad to answer any questions about it!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;09;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Marciemi, we have C752 booked and I am more excited now than ever. But, also a bit worry since my DH has a sensitive stomach. I wonder if that weird sensation you are talking about is going to make him sick?

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

All very interesting responses, but none that I could see mentioned the Sun Princess class of ships.

Has anyone booked an aft mini-suite on Dolphin deck? More specifically, D751.

Greg

Foo-Foo Chowder and Marching Society Sails again on the Sun Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;2;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Regal Princess 3/92

Regal Princess 2/94

Crown Princess 2/97

Norwegian Dream 3/00

Grand Princess 3/01

Coral Princess 3/03

Sun Princess 2/04

Sun Princess 2/05

We will be in an aft AA on the Dawn (in one week!) I'll take a look at the mini-suites on Dolphin, I would think they are similar as the ships are nearly identical. If you don't have an answer by the time I get back, I'll fill you in!

Karen

up next!

Dawn Princess April 30'04

Acapulco to Los Angeles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;4;30;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Roetoship - the best way I can describe it is sort of a thundering sensation when you were laying down. It seemed like when I'm in my bedroom at home and I can tell one of my kids is running around downstairs or running up the stairs to tell me they had a bad dream or something. The first night I must have woken up a million times expecting to have a kid crying in front of me (even though they were home in Michigan!). My husband is also prone to motion sickness and didn't have any problems. It was just more of a pounding, not a swaying. Bring all your dramamine/bonines/wristbands etc. like my DH did, but I doubt it would be a problem.

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Marciemi, okay then the thunder sound is just like we get at home with our kids too. Is the C752 balcony also as big as the side cabins like with a 9 x 10 balcony? Are the lounge chairs with the cushions there or do you have to ask for them? TIA

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived