Stacey's Girl Getaway on the Breakaway- BA to BDA 10/4-10/11

sunbird21

BIgOrange- Yes, the Dream is next!!! Long story short, planning a trip with my mom, New Orleans was mentioned, and she wants to see Belize...I found this little surprise and that was that! Now, I just need to find decent airfare to MSY...

Cruisemom, Ladygal, Chesneygal(love Kenny Chesney!), Hanny-thank you all SO MUCH for the compliments!! Yes, I wanted to be a writer in another lifetime LOL-I have written trip reports on a few of my land vacays on another site, considering pooling them all together on my own page...will see what comes of it:) Hanny, thank you for the nurse compliment-it is a very stressful job, and definitely needed the UBP and school of fish to take the edge off!! Please have one for me!!

Mamagina-thank you for your compliments! I have heard good things about the Gem, especially from J and T, so I would take it if you liked it. I didn't think the BA was bad overall, but the crowd factor is likely to remain. If you give her another chance, I would be cautious if you have the same room steward that I did...

Hanssolomom-Yes, the hotel manager was quite a trip...as I said, I didn't expect anything, but it seemed like I got punished (no room maintenance that day or night) for speaking out, so I think I'll just refrain from commenting in the future (until I get on here). I did mention the incident in the NCL post cruise survey though. Sad thing is, I usually will give them a "little" extra at the end, but did not this time.

Thanks again to everyone else who has commented!!

BTW, I WILL be back on NCL in April....just booked the two specialty option and 50% deposit package for the Epic in Europe!!! It's the one itinerary that I absolutely recommend doing multiple times!

Stacey

I have been enjoying your review and just finished reading about day 2. I find something confusing. I have been on many cruises and on all the ships I have been on there was always a ladies locker room by the gym that did not require any charges, and they always had very nice showers. From your report it seems like the Breakaway only has a shower in the spa which requires you to buy a pass to use. So, I am wondering if the Breakaway has completely done away with the free ladies locker room with the free showers and lockers?

Edited by CAC104

I have been enjoying your review and just finished reading about day 2. I find something confusing. I have been on many cruises and on all the ships I have been on there was always a ladies locker room by the gym that did not require any charges, and they always had very nice showers. From your report it seems like the Breakaway only has a shower in the spa which requires you to buy a pass to use. So, I am wondering if the Breakaway has completely done away with the free ladies locker room with the free showers and lockers?

Honestly, I am not sure... I don't recall seeing another locker room but I might have missed it. I remember seeing the gym to the right of the entrance to the spa, and the weight room across the hall on the left. I'm not sure where the locker rooms are/were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the review. I totally understand the feeling when the cruise is over. I also like getting out right away instead of dwelling on it and staying onboard.

Have fun on the Epic that will be so much fun!

Thanks!! I'm looking forward to it!!!

Oh wow, my mom is 75, so sounds like it'll be a similar dynamic! It'll be her first Carnival, she did the NCL Sun a few years ago with my stepfather before he passed, so it'll be interesting to see what she thinks.

Oh wow, my mom is 75, so sounds like it'll be a similar dynamic! It'll be her first Carnival, she did the NCL Sun a few years ago with my stepfather before he passed, so it'll be interesting to see what she thinks.

Dad decided that he wanted to cruise with Mom a little bit to late. To honor my Sailor Dad we are taking Mom. She did not have a birth certificate or passport which was our first order of business in planning this trip, all the document gathering and applications have been a good distraction since we lost Dad in the spring. She has the bug, I hope she loves it. Looking forward to hearing how the Dream stacks up from you! We are making great memories for our Moms!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What an AWESOME Review..you kept me intrigued the whole review!! I can't wait to leave on the 22nd! thank you Sunbird!

PS -my hubby and I were on the maiden voyage out of NY on the Dream a few years ago, you will LOVE it!!!!! She's a beauty!

I've just read through your whole review and loved every post! I'm sat in bed reading and it's like having a bed time story, haha. You have a really funny and interesting writing style. Seems like a crazy trip you had, with all the up's and downs. I would have been pretty annoyed with the late night wake ups but you seem to take it all in your stride.

I'm on the Epic for my first cruise in Jan so will eagerly await your review from your trip in April! The only thing I would change about your review is I'd love to see more pictures of the food! Thanks again for writing it :)

BigOrange-I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, I am sure that your mom appreciates the distraction and the extra time that you are spending with her! I will try to speed through my review of the Dream for you and your trip (any motivation will do LOL) It's a bit challenging right now, figuring out the excursions. Have you guys settled your hotels in NO yet?

MrsAllie-thank you for the compliments!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it:)

Boscodog-Thank you for the compliments!! Yes, it will certainly be a different dynamic. For one, no UBP...they have raised the rates of Carnival's package to $400 for the week now, which is more than I would pay. I probably won't have quite the interesting stories, but I want to try to improve on the photo aspect.

Mgasparro1-I'm jealous! Have a blast on the BA-different itinerary, I know, but you'll have a lot of time to explore the ship! Thanks for the Dream recommendation- I've heard so many good things about it, I'm feeling like it was the right choice-I could've taken the NCL Dawn on the same itinerary from NO but price on Dream was better.

Chrissy3427-thank you!!Feel free to tag along on any of my next cruises!

SquishtheWhale- Thank you!!! It definitely had its crazy moments. I'm envious of your Epic trip, it is still my favorite ship! If its your first cruise ever, I hope that you LOVE it, its an awesome ship, so much to do. Where does it go in January?

I did include links to my two Epic reviews if anyone's really interested (or bored LOL) They're a bit rough, but detailed, and the photo ratio isn't quite to what it is here(I'm improving with each review) but I do have some interesting tales of solo cruising in each.

I'm also now feeling inspired to go back and finish my Carnival Valor review from last year-I had a family death in the middle of writing it, so naturally didn't get back to it for awhile, and there were some negative comments when I did get back and check, so I slunk away, but I felt bad for leaving people hanging, I may go back and finish just for the sake of it.

Anyway enough rambling-thank you all again! Happy cruising to all of you lucky upcoming travelers!

Stacey

How did I not notice that you had other reviews? I can't wait to read them even though I don't have any future plans for the ships. FYI. I am doing the Dawn out of NOLA over Christmas week and we are staying at French market inn. My brother and family have visited Nola many times and he did a lot of research and stayed there over the summer so we will all be staying there. He really loved It and it is about 3 blocks from Cafe de Monde. Stay tuned for my review at the end of Dec/early Jan. I work from home so not sure how quickly it will get done with 3 kids off of school. Another reason I am so excited about the free UBP...3 girls ages 11,11, and 12....mommy needs her wine and then some!!

How did I not notice that you had other reviews? I can't wait to read them even though I don't have any future plans for the ships. FYI. I am doing the Dawn out of NOLA over Christmas week and we are staying at French market inn. My brother and family have visited Nola many times and he did a lot of research and stayed there over the summer so we will all be staying there. He really loved It and it is about 3 blocks from Cafe de Monde. Stay tuned for my review at the end of Dec/early Jan. I work from home so not sure how quickly it will get done with 3 kids off of school. Another reason I am so excited about the free UBP...3 girls ages 11,11, and 12....mommy needs her wine and then some!!

Oh wow, it sounds like our ships might be sailing partners that week! Are you leaving on 12/20 and going to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel?

I saw the French Market Inn in my research, think it was sold out. I was going around circles with Priceline bidding and guessing and finally decided to do Embassy Suites right before and after the cruise.

3 girls in one year apart? How cool! I can see where you may need a break though-enjoy the UBP! I will have to check out your reviews as well-I see that you've been to some of these ports before,so I'm immersing myself in all of the Dream/western Carib. reviews right now!

Oh wow, it sounds like our ships might be sailing partners that week! Are you leaving on 12/20 and going to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel?

I saw the French Market Inn in my research, think it was sold out. I was going around circles with Priceline bidding and guessing and finally decided to do Embassy Suites right before and after the cruise.

3 girls in one year apart? How cool! I can see where you may need a break though-enjoy the UBP! I will have to check out your reviews as well-I see that you've been to some of these ports before,so I'm immersing myself in all of the Dream/western Carib. reviews right now!

Yes, exactly, but also Costa Maya as well. I really wanted to do the next week, but it was about 3x the price. I don't know why I thought you were sailing in January. We will have to wave to each other as we sail out!

I am the crazy planner but since my brother had already researched NOLA and the only experience I have in NOLA is from college drunken weekends, I went with his suggestion for a hotel. However, I am the cruise director for the ports, which reminds me that I need to send an email to everyone with updates.

We are following in Mitsugirly's footsteps for two ports on this cruise and doing Little French Key in Roatan and Blue Kay in Costa Maya. Then back to Chankanaab in Cozumel because we loved it so much the other time we went. And a snorkeling excursion in Goff's Caye in Belize. It's a tiny island, but you can snorkel from the beach, and we wanted something cheap and easy from that port since LFK will be pretty pricey. I'm looking at how small the island is so I hope I didn't make a mistake. I have read dozens of great reviews on it, though.

Excited about your review of Dream. We have been traveling with my parents and brothers and their families, and they all love to sail out of NOLA, and Carnival is the only line that sails out of there in the summer. Not sure why more lines don't sail out NOLA.

Yes, life is crazy around here...twins (surprise!!) and a singleton that is 19 months older than them (that was an insane first year...I cried a lot, not lying). The 12 year old will be 13 in February, but I'm not ready to have a teenager so she will be 12 in my mind until her birthday.:)

Happy sailing!!

Edited by mickev99

HI all!

sunbird21 ~ just finished reading your review & enjoyed it very much.:D

I did the Breakaway inaugural & wasn't that impressed. I kept comparing it to Epic which I'd done 3 times & am doing again for Christmas.

It'll be like a new ship with the changes that have been made on it.

Dream was my 1st Carnival ship & I loved the Carnival vibe! Went on to do Breeze twice & am itching to do Sunshine or Vista.

Looking forward to your Dream cruise review at Christmas. Have a great time with your Mom.

~ Jo ~ :)

Stacey,

By the way I am Penny, I feel like I sort of know you from your review. We have not booked our room, I am headed to my hometown this weekend to pick Mom up for the week and meet with the cruising crew to book that room! I have been to NOLA 4 times previously and have stayed at the Marriott Convention Center, and Marriott Canal Street. I have no loyalty to Marriott other than our cruising friends have loads of points with Marriott, I enjoyed both Hotels the last one I stayed in was the Canal Street location. We were in the Quarter in August and was tackled by a drunk man on Bourbon Street it was 7:00pm, not my favorite way to start a cruise!!! His friends were very sorry but he probably didnt remember a thing. This time I think we are NOT staying in NOLA but in Slidell. I live in N. AL and the rest of the group is in East Tn so we are driving. Considering we are driving down from AL Slidell La is on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain so it is on our way. We have not booked excursions yet either, I think I will get them to start looking at that this weekend. It will be interesting taking my Mom and her Sister with us- I have them booked into a Cove Balcony room, have you ever stayed in one of those? We are a few decks up in a regular Balcony room, the Cove balconies look interesting to me. I have to tell you that my Dad's home health nurse became family to us and I appreciate the hard job you do.

Stacey,

By the way I am Penny, I feel like I sort of know you from your review. We have not booked our room, I am headed to my hometown this weekend to pick Mom up for the week and meet with the cruising crew to book that room! I have been to NOLA 4 times previously and have stayed at the Marriott Convention Center, and Marriott Canal Street. I have no loyalty to Marriott other than our cruising friends have loads of points with Marriott, I enjoyed both Hotels the last one I stayed in was the Canal Street location. We were in the Quarter in August and was tackled by a drunk man on Bourbon Street it was 7:00pm, not my favorite way to start a cruise!!! His friends were very sorry but he probably didnt remember a thing. This time I think we are NOT staying in NOLA but in Slidell. I live in N. AL and the rest of the group is in East Tn so we are driving. Considering we are driving down from AL Slidell La is on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain so it is on our way. We have not booked excursions yet either, I think I will get them to start looking at that this weekend. It will be interesting taking my Mom and her Sister with us- I have them booked into a Cove Balcony room, have you ever stayed in one of those? We are a few decks up in a regular Balcony room, the Cove balconies look interesting to me. I have to tell you that my Dad's home health nurse became family to us and I appreciate the hard job you do.

Hi Penny!! I know,it seems like such a small world on here,people have been on a lot of the same ships, and get to know everyone here:) My mom and I had the same cruise planning session last night via phone, we bought our flights,hotels within a few hrs. I feel bad for her b/c the fare from Phoenix-NOLA was pretty bad. I'm not particular to any hotel chain, I like a lot of them the same, and traveling 2-3 times a year doesn't rack up a lot of points, so I just take whatever the best deal is. Most recently, the PL site has done well for me- think I've cracked the code at figuring out their "express deals."

I haven't stayed in a cove balcony, but saw one on the Epic, it actually seemed kind of nice, more private and seems like it could block out some rain. It does block out the direct water view sitting down, but still better than no balcony at all.

Thanks for the compliments on nursing, esp home health-it can be crazy, and a lot of charting at night,hence the slow down on the reviews.

If you want, email me at sgombar21@gmail.com if you want to chat about any other cruise planning sometime-I love to collaborate and my current roll call is kind of quiet! I have a feeling there will be A LOT of families on this cruise.

Stacey

Thank you Mainepaddler!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Thank you retiring soon!! I'd love to read about your week on the new Epic and hear what changes I have to look forward to! I would also love to try the Vista, very hard decision between that and Epic for spring-but the double perks and price got me. Plus, I think I'd like to attempt to splurge on the Havana cabana for the Vista and its an outrageous price right now in Europe.

Yes, exactly, but also Costa Maya as well. I really wanted to do the next week, but it was about 3x the price. I don't know why I thought you were sailing in January. We will have to wave to each other as we sail out!

I am the crazy planner but since my brother had already researched NOLA and the only experience I have in NOLA is from college drunken weekends, I went with his suggestion for a hotel. However, I am the cruise director for the ports, which reminds me that I need to send an email to everyone with updates.

We are following in Mitsugirly's footsteps for two ports on this cruise and doing Little French Key in Roatan and Blue Kay in Costa Maya. Then back to Chankanaab in Cozumel because we loved it so much the other time we went. And a snorkeling excursion in Goff's Caye in Belize. It's a tiny island, but you can snorkel from the beach, and we wanted something cheap and easy from that port since LFK will be pretty pricey. I'm looking at how small the island is so I hope I didn't make a mistake. I have read dozens of great reviews on it, though.

Excited about your review of Dream. We have been traveling with my parents and brothers and their families, and they all love to sail out of NOLA, and Carnival is the only line that sails out of there in the summer. Not sure why more lines don't sail out NOLA.

Yes, life is crazy around here...twins (surprise!!) and a singleton that is 19 months older than them (that was an insane first year...I cried a lot, not lying). The 12 year old will be 13 in February, but I'm not ready to have a teenager so she will be 12 in my mind until her birthday.:)

Happy sailing!!

Mickey, I posted my email above, if you want to chat as well,even though we are on different ships, feel free to contact me. We cruise directors need to stick together. I read your Jewel review, it was very entertaining! I look forward to your new one as well.

I agree, I love NOLA, actually went to school there for my first year, got homesick and transferred back, but still love the city. I'm going to hit up Café du Monde first thing for some beignets. I hope the weather is decent for sailaway!

Yes, I am also following Mitsugirly's recommendations for LFK and Cozumel debating which place right now. She was actually on the same BA cruise as me(hence her review), saw her twice but chickened out on approaching her...feel bad b/c I told her this on another post and she said that she likes meeting fellow cruisers, so my bad.

And hey, if your 12 year old is still 12, nothing wrong with keeping that age(although I'm sure she is rapidly trying to round it up to 13). Three babies at once, I don't think anyone would blame you for the year of crying! I'll bet you have fun with them now though.

Stacey

SquishtheWhale- Thank you!!! It definitely had its crazy moments. I'm envious of your Epic trip, it is still my favorite ship! If its your first cruise ever, I hope that you LOVE it, its an awesome ship, so much to do. Where does it go in January?

I did include links to my two Epic reviews if anyone's really interested (or bored LOL) They're a bit rough, but detailed, and the photo ratio isn't quite to what it is here(I'm improving with each review) but I do have some interesting tales of solo cruising in each.

I'm also now feeling inspired to go back and finish my Carnival Valor review from last year-I had a family death in the middle of writing it, so naturally didn't get back to it for awhile, and there were some negative comments when I did get back and check, so I slunk away, but I felt bad for leaving people hanging, I may go back and finish just for the sake of it.

Anyway enough rambling-thank you all again! Happy cruising to all of you lucky upcoming travelers!

Stacey

In Jan we are going to Morocco and the Canary Islands! I'll defo wrote a review from the perspective of a first time cruiser so I hope you'll read it :)

I'll defo check out your Epic review!