Jewel OTS California Coastal Review 10/3/15

One positive than I can mention is that when we got off the ship they allowed us to go on the buses that were parked inside the "terminal" rather than make us walk down the street to the official stop. They had Big Buses inside the terminal because that was the company assigned to the royal excursions. I assumed that they might make us go outside because we bought our tickets on our own. We rode around for close to an hour before the first place that we wanted to get off.

IMG_3488_zpspfcaufos.jpg

IMG_3490_zpsm3ozyltt.jpg

IMG_3494_zps5ivwqqgc.jpg

IMG_3496_zps4c6hihyb.jpg

IMG_3482_zps0sohcgq0.jpg

Great review..have been following along. Funny, I went to Solveng when I was a child, about 1979 probably. My grandmother was half Norwegian and wanted to go there as part of a long trip we were on with my grandparents. I haven't thought of that in years, so thanks for the memories:)

Your son is adorable,btw. :)

We got off here because I wanted another picture in front of the Painted Ladies. I grew up watching Full House as a kid, so these houses always looked so cool to me. The grass was in pretty bad shape, I am guess it is from the drought?

IMG_3508_zps3m8ogrev.jpg

IMG_3513_zpsdzttigq8.jpg

IMG_3515_zpsrkzhgvgm.jpg

DS spotted the playground. We let him play for 20 minutes because most of the trip was focus on things we (DH and myself) wanted to see, we made time to let him burn off some energy in between stops. This was the 1st of three playgrounds for the day!

Next up was the Golden Gate bridge, I already shared the photos when explaining my disappointment in the bus stops. But I was able to get a nice shot while we were riding over the bridge.

IMG_3533_zpspseuelzq.jpg

I wanted to get off a Lombard Street to show DH the curvy street. Except that Big Bus doesn't stop anywhere near that section. It drive through a regular street with nothing to see. So we ended up staying on the bus until we got to Chinatown. There we walked through some shops, ate lunch, and then we found another playground!!

IMG_3567_zpsgmt2rqy2.jpg

IMG_3575_zpsn14w7uga.jpg

IMG_3577_zpsujvqrbev.jpg

I saw a sign for this "tea" that I like. It goes by various names: Milk Tea, Bubble Tea, Boba Tea, etc. I was excited. There aren't many places back home that serve it. People have always told me it is better out on the West Coast. So I ordered one. Ugh! The lady that made it must have thrown a bunch of stuff in a cup without measuring. It was way too sweet, gritty (too much powder), and just not the same. I was let down :(

BobaTea_zpsintlsvxl.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

Once we finished our wanders in Chinatown, we hopped back on the bus and took it back to the ship. This final bus we boarded was the only one with a live guide on it. The other buses had the tape recording. On our short trip back to the ship we passed the waterfront and we got a glimpse of the new Terminal. This is where the Crown Princess was docked the day before.

IMG_3586_zpsif0soa36.jpg

We attempted to nap the little guy, but it was useless. So we hung out on our balcony and then headed up to the Windjammer around 6pm. I wanted to go up on deck for our second sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, but we were too tired. We actually had a less hectic and nice view from in the Windjammer.

IMG_3593_zpszvpocfxw.jpg

IMG_3601_zpsgxqjicfc.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsst1f03mi.jpg

We also had the opportunity to see a few whales. It was great. DS was the one who kept pointing them out so us. I think I saw more whales this evening than we did on our entire Alaskan cruise a few years ago!

IMG_3606_zpshbqvdcjd.jpg

Enjoying your review. It worked out great with the parks for your little one to play.

At first I wasn't thrilled when he spotted the park in Alamo Square. But later in the day I realized it was a saving grace. it let him burn off some energy in between the sights we wanted to see. I forgot to mention the third playground was located between Pier 39 and where the Jewel was parked. He played on it when we got off the HOHO bus. I also just found out that my dad took him to this same park the night before when DS hung out with him while we ventured off to Alcatraz.

We spent a long time in the Windjammer that night. Went for round two of dinner before departing at nearly 8:30pm!

You may be wondering why I haven't mentioned much of the ship so far. We didnt do much in the first half of the week because the cruise was so port intensive! We spent most of our days ashore. Came back on, ate dinner, and retreated to our rooms. We did explore more on the sea day + our day in Ensenada.

The next day was Monterey. I was excited for this stop. Princess doesn't stop here so it was a nice treat to go somewhere that normally does not get cruise ship guests. On our agenda was a nice walk along the coast to the Aquarium. We took the Monterey Bay Coastal Trail. It was beautiful!!

IMG_3614_zps5smftapu.jpg

IMG_3615_zpsl2vrjvow.jpg

IMG_3618_zpsodolosor.jpg

IMG_3619_zpsrx6rdh2l.jpg

Before I leave you for this evening I have a question for everyone following along.

What do you think happens when you dress your 2.5 year old in this shirt for the day???

LittleGentleman_zpssy115cav.jpg

My guess is either every woman you passed over the age of 30 stopped and commented on it or said 2.5 year old decided to prove his parents wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ding Ding Ding. Answer B is correct.

He decided this was the day to make his parents look incompetent. As soon as we arrived at the aquarium he began screaming. Nothing made him happy. Holding him, strolling him, offering food, etc. NOTHING! I was not about to waste the $75 we had just dropped on buying the tickets to get in. We walked over to the food court to eat and perhaps calm him down. Sometimes he acts out when hungry and he doesn't know why he feels like crud.

The food court is nice. They have healthier options than most places which was nice.

IMG_3645_zps0l6dwuok.jpg

IMG_3646_zpsmsvmjwzv.jpg

After the cool down session we decided to embark on our adventure through the place. We found kid friendly areas, there were plenty! So we let DS play to burn off some steam, again in hopes of calming him down. I call the last one "Short Kid Problems"

IMG_3657_zps9pxyjakr.jpg

IMG_3678_zps2kzx96f5.jpg

IMG_3667_zpszbiukkcf.jpg

He behaved during the time we were in the kid areas, but the moment we moved on to other things he broke out in tantrum after tantrum!

The aquarium is awesome. DS has been to the "big ones" Shedd (I was not impressed) and Georgia Aquarium, so we make it a point to bring him to aquariums everywhere we go. We actually liked the Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine Texas, small be really nice. He loves fish and animals in general so it just makes sense.

The back of the aquarium has a large deck area that affords some amazing views of the bay. We spent quite a bit of time out there looking for otters and other animals. It was a beautiful day for us. We came from Florida where it's in the 90s, so the upper 60s/low 70s was blissful.

IMG_3683_zps9sysh61l.jpg

IMG_3681_zpsy3k8cduy.jpg

IMG_3680_zpsws6cyhdi.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

We explored the touch tanks for a bit. My son kept petting the drain instead of the animals. It was kinda funny. We kept telling him that it was not an animal and he insisted on petting it. Okay, you're not crying at this point, whatever makes you happy!!!

IMG_1535_zpsl9n4au0b.jpg

As a kid 23 years ago I remember the jellyfish section being amazing. It's still beautiful to this day!

IMG_3648_zps4f8qa8hp.jpg

We then made our way to the back room area with the large tank full of sharks, sardines, and other large sea life. DS was enthralled with it for a few minutes until the naughties came back!

IMG_3655_zps1yzivva9.jpg

IMG_3652_zpsel4tk58u.jpg

As soon as I snapped this picture of him, he took off running. Full speed. Back through the jellyfish exhibit. I took off after him through the crowd. He didn't look back for a second to see if we were even following him. Generally he will check to make sure DH or I follows. Not today.. He was on a mission. Now if you've ever been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium you may know that the jellyfish exhibit is very dark. Good luck catching a 2 year old running through there! I finally caught him in the entrance where the sardines swim in circles above. He was cracking up laughing when I caught him. Thats about when I threw up the white flag ad surrendered. We left to make our way back to the ship at this point.

I lacked a lot of photos from the aquarium because I was busy chasing, calming, and disciplining DS. It was not a good day for us. I am sad because I wanted to get more photos of it.

The story of your DS sounds like our DD. We can have days and days of nothing planed but the second we toss money down on something is the day she says "nope today I'm going to fully act like a brat." Along with my favorite "I'm going to make sure that EVERYONE knows that I'm not happy with you!"

The story of your DS sounds like our DD. We can have days and days of nothing planed but the second we toss money down on something is the day she says "nope today I'm going to fully act like a brat." Along with my favorite "I'm going to make sure that EVERYONE knows that I'm not happy with you!"

We are fortunate that his doesn't do this often, but he does choose to do it at the most inoppotune times. Monterey Bay happened to be one of those. Since becoming a mom I always feel for those who are stuck in a tantrum with their child in a very public place. I know that most people are looking on with disdain, as I am sure people did to us that day.

I almost want to carry little card in my pocket to give at those moments that say "I 100% understand how you feel, take a deep breath and ignore everyone around you! My kid does it too"

As luck, or Murphy's Law, would have it: DS fell asleep within seconds of leaving the aquarium. We decided to walk through Cannery Row and along the trail again to make our way back to the ship.

IMG_3694_zpsxfredmeh.jpg

IMG_3687_zpst8nqnof9.jpg

IMG_3689_zpspt7km53f.jpg

IMG_3699_zpsjurg1qix.jpg

It was peaceful and a great way to unwind from the chaos of the day. It's a shame that Florida weather isn't conducive to beautiful walking trails. We only have a handful of cool days in our "winter" that would allow for a nice long walk. Most other days it's far too hot or rainy!

We chose to ride on the top of the tender for the ride back to the ship because it was nice out.

IMG_3706_zpsugmcdefv.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

Once back onboard we went to the top deck to hang around. We watched tenders come in little by little. Finally it was time for the last tender to be pulled up the side of the ship. They were struggling. We watched the poor guys circle over and over. They could not get the tender to line up right. Finally we saw someone in the bridge wing maneuver the ship over to help. They finally got the last tender onboard. It was at least a 30 minute ordeal!

IMG_3732_zpsf4xsqwmw.jpg

IMG_3735_zps5jzijr4n.jpg

What happens to naughty little boys at the end of the day? They pass out, face first, on a lounge chair up on deck! Misbehavin takes a lot out of a kid!

IMG_3728_zps8i3ruwia.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

A little bit of both. Hehe. We had a good cruise but would have appreciated the nursery on a night or two for some adult only time!

I'd enjoy reading about your experiences and seeing your pictures. Also, interested what you did at each port.

Looking forward to more of your review.

We went down to the Windjammer for dinner, as usual. We decided that because the next day was a sea day we might as well get off our butts and do something on the ship. My dad thought that mini golf would be fun for my son. We werent sure he'd be in to it. It was chilly out, so I ran back to the room to get sweatshirts for us while everyone else headed up to Jewel Dunes.

What do you know... DS LOVED mini golf. I think we went around the course 3 times that night. Being that he is a 2 year old he does play his own version of the game. He places the ball where he wants to shoot from.. about 2 feet from the hole. He was persistent in making it and he even celebrated everyone else's success!!

IMG_3740_zpszp4ejpr1.jpg

IMG_3751_zpsigkug73t.jpg

IMG_3746_zpssjftntu0.jpg

It was windy but surprisingly the balls stayed in place.

Edited by smileyperry

Really enjoying your review. We were on this cruise. Never saw you guys. Thought of doing our own review but there are already three great reviews. I have very little to add. We had a great time BTW. Thanks for the review. :)