RCI and other lines all in on China

Just read the article pertaining to a number of new ships being built specifically for the China cruise market and designed specifically toward Chinese passengers. That's a topic in itself.

People on CC were quick to ask why RCI was so quick to send Quantum to that market. Here's the answer. RCI is getting 35% higher stateroom revenue in China than it was here in the U.S.

No surprise then to read that Ovation will be in China as well and is being designed for Chinese passengers.

I hope I'm wrong but if my sources are right, Oasis will be joining them after her short PC tour.

Princess really went in considering their new ship will have both English and Chinese names.

These cruises are intriguing, but I've read too many horror stories to put one of these on my bucket list.

I hope I'm wrong but if my sources are right, Oasis will be joining them after her short PC tour.

My guess is that they'll wait until Oasis 4 begins sailing. That way they can send her right over to the States to replace the Oasis. Well at least that is what I hope they'll do, if Oasis really is going to China.

However, I remember hearing tons of things about Oasis going to China, but that seemed to stop after Ovation was deployed there. I was secretly hoping that she might've been switched out for the Oasis.

Is your info more updated?

P.s. Back to the original thread. NCL recently ordered a new ship that will also be built specifically for the market: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6580

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Is your info more updated?

It was about a month ago. Their track record is pretty clean with me. About a year ago, they were right about where Liberty and Majesty were headed. I dared not report Majesty! :rolleyes::D

But anywho, you know how source info goes. We never know if its true until it happens...or doesn't happen. They did give me bad info once...it was an idea of Explorer replacing Majesty for the 3/4 night cruises.

Edited by Aquahound

I can tell you, at least our experience, that Chinese passengers many of which do not speak English tend to stay together in groups. Our cruise was a South American cruise around the horn on Star Princess. Our first MDR dinner had us and our traveling partners and 4 Chinese seated together. English speaking tour guide kept coming over to talk through menu to them and order for them and to interact with us. For sure it was interesting. Next evening we had 4 Canadians and the 4 Chinese were a couple tables away within a group of about 10 tables having only Chinese passengers. I would guess the average age was 50-70.

Maybe if sailing around closer to China, the cruise cost may not be as high allowing maybe some younger Chinese to sail and they may speak English.

I don't blame Royal or anyone trying to make money. I ran a business for over 30 years and I had the same goal. With profits/cash flow, you can do lots of things for customers, employees, local community, shareholders and vendors.

I wonder what it would be like to be on a cruise where English speakers are the minority.

English is not my mother tongue, but we manage quite fine. I am sure persons with English as their first language will manage very well on a cruise where English speakers are the minority as well :)

..maybe we should start to expect 15% Norwegian language to be spoken onboard since 15% of the shares of RCI is owned by the Norwegian family owned company Awilhelmsen. :) :)