Vietnam/Cambodia Mekong Delta Cruise - Sept 2016

EastOntCpl

Hello everyone,

Fresh off our first river cruise; Amsterdam>Budapest we are now looking forward to our second river cruise in September 2016; we will be returning with Emerald Waterways on their Highlights of Vietnam & Cambodia and Mekong Cruise. This will be aboard the Mekong Navigator which is a new 'lease' next year for Emerald. Our departure is September 19/2016.

I've done some cursory searching here on Cruise Critic, but would like to ask anyone with experience on this itinerary to offer up any words of wisdom, tips, advice. Everything is appreciated from;

-advice on currency

-advice on packing

-advice on potential weather during this period

-advice on specific ports or parts of the Mekong (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Cai Be – Sa Dec, Tan Chau, Phnom Penh, Tonle Sap River, Wat Hanchey – Kampong Cham, Kampong Cham – Siem Reap)

-advice on electrical current on the Mekong Navigator or in hotel rooms

-general advice for those that have been on the Mekong Navigator

Just looking to pick brains, any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by EastOntCpl

use search engine above and will link you to lots of posts,etc. I used this for my trip 2 yrs.ago and all the info there was very helpful.Also, can look under AMA posts and reviews.Put mine there.

Also ,get a guidebook, do online research,etc. We LOVED it, but a fair warning its quite a physical challenge.Lots of walking,climbing,heat,etc. Some older folks had difficulty keeping up. I was 69 at time,but tried to get in best shape possible and SO glad I did.

Lots of info on packing,food,sidetrips,etc. Also, look at videos on you tube .

advice on currency

Take a stack of US $1's and $5's. Use for tuk-tuks, big markets (not the markets just for locals), just about everywhere.

-advice on packing

Comfortable, quick drying. I took several Columbia shirts in various colors. There are similar styles in other brands.

You may be changing after lunch.

I packed sturdy Teva walking sandals that could be rinsed clean. Wore them every day.

-advice on potential weather during this period

Cooler in the north. Expect hot in the south. Always be ready for rain and mud.

-advice on specific ports or parts of the Mekong (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Cai Be – Sa Dec, Tan Chau, Phnom Penh, Tonle Sap River, Wat Hanchey – Kampong Cham, Kampong Cham – Siem Reap)

Fav restaurant Hanoi: Green Tangerine

Fav restaurant Siem Reap: Nest Angkor

Siem Reap has many great restaurants.

Go to Doctor Fish in downtown Siem Reap. It's fun and they give you a free beer.

Bring prescription for eyeglasses for quick, relatively inexpensive glasses in Saigon. There is a row of optometrists across one of streets from Ben Thanh market.

Have a drink at the rooftop bar of the Rex Hotel.

-advice on electrical current on the Mekong Navigator or in hotel rooms

Power Plugs and Sockets in Vietnam

Look here for all things Cambodia.

Now --- that's just to get you started. We loved our experience with Amawaterways so much that we have been back on separate trips to both Vietnam and Cambodia.

Let me follow up on some previous advice.

The info on US dollars was spot on. In Cambodia, you will find restaurants and shops and bars pricing things in USD, not the local currency. That stack should be in a lot of small bills. Tuk tuk in Siem Reap - $1. Beer at Angkor Wat = $2. Beer elsewhere - $1. Restaurant meals, massage -- priced in dollars. I tend to take plenty of cash but would suggest at least $50 in ones and $200 in fives, plus some tens and twenties. I'd take double that, just so I don't run short. And you can always re-deposit it back in the bank when you are done.

In VN, you can sometimes use USD, especially in the Ben Thahn market. Best to get Vietnamese Dong from an ATM. Note that most all prices in VN drop the last thousand....in other words, if the menu says 160, it means 160,000 VND (appx 22,000 to the dollar). You'll also see a number with a dash after it...that dash is for the three zeros dropped.

Most of the markets are for bargaining. Ben Thanh has some places with fixed prices that are posted. Otherwise, be sure to low ball your first offer because their first offer is at least 2 to 4 times what they will actually sell for. You need room to negotiate back and forth. And be willing to walk away - it's amazing how they will then take your price.

Beers are cheap in both VN and Cambodia, spirit prices moderate and wines pricey. Try the local beers in all places - refreshing after a day in the heat. There is also a VN product called "fresh beer". It's a bit lower in alcohol content and it is non-pasteurized. Made to be drunk on the day that it's delivered to the restaurant/bar, it's the bargain beer of the world. Really good. Last visit, a small mug ran about $0.22 (5000 dong)

Advice on eyeglasses is spot on. I always get them in VN - both Hanoi and Saigon have some streets where every shop sells glasses. In Saigon, on Northeast side of Ben Thanh (Le Thanh Ton street). In Hanoi, at NW "corner" of the Hoam Kiem lake in the center of town.

It will be hot.

Try lots of the local foods. The combination of French and Asian influences makes for great flavors. Foreign Correspondents Club in Phnom Penh & Siem Reap is good. http://fcccambodia.com/ Madame Thien in Hanoi. Try Back of the Bike Tours in Saigon for a great food tour. And if you don't want to ride on a bike, they can arrange for a car at a small cost.

Taxis are plentiful and cheap. In VN, look for either the Vinasun (white) or Mailinh (green) taxis - reputable and will not overcharge. Don't just go by the color, look at the name. Taxi will be clean and driver dressed in uniform.

Most of all, have fun. It's an amazing part of the world and worth the effort to get there.

I'm on this itinerary with Uniworld in December and will report back (and blog in great detail).

For those of you that have already been, did you get any garments made for you in Vietnam? We have a good amount of days in Hanoi and may want to get some suits/dresses.

CORRECTION: It is Madame HIEN in Hanoi, not Thien. Sorry.

Have had some stuff made in Hoi An. Decent but not spectacular. Of course, YMMV. And since I notice you wearing eyeglasses, definitely take your prescription. (I make 4-5 copies and just leave it at the shop). Progressive lens glasses should run between $65-100 dollars, single vision in the $35-45 range. Overnight service.

Are these nice looking, stylish glasses? I ask because I already have 3 pair. They're single vision and I get them for $95 from Warby Parker, so while that's a deal it may not entice me to expand my already larger-than-normal collection.

Thanks for the response re: clothing. I've seen quite a few people exclaim about the amazing quality and wonderful, custom fit of their clothes ... but maybe they're not used to nice clothes? Or maybe the found a better tailor? I suppose it's a risk you take. I wonder if our Uniworld rep will have a connection (that's not based solely on commission for them).

Are these nice looking, stylish glasses? I ask because I already have 3 pair. They're single vision and I get them for $95 from Warby Parker, so while that's a deal it may not entice me to expand my already larger-than-normal collection.

Everything from black plastic "basic nerd" styles to stylish metals. If you have plenty of regular glasses, let me suggest prescription sunglasses. Or a yellow tint for night driving. Also, I have a prescription from my doctor for my vision at 34 inches...the distance from my eyes to my computer monitor. Perfect correction for that in between range between "distance" and "reading". You'll have the time - if nothing else, browse and see if there's anything you like.

The clothes were nice and worth the money. Definitely less than what you would pay for off-the-rack in the USA. Most places want a deposit of roughly 50% at ordering...don't just get overnight service, you will want at least 1 or 2 fittings after initial measurements. My own evaluation clue -- the sooner they bring up, and want to sell on price, the less favorable I view them. Good places sell on quality of fabric and workmanship and charge a fair price. They don't need to sell on price only. YMMV.

The other thing is that for ladies clothes, you might want to bring photos/magazine pages of what you want. They are pretty good at copying if you show a photo rather than trying to describe in in English. Otherwise, you should stick to what styles they have on display and select your own fabrics.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Our planning was greatly helped by member reviews of La Marguerite (Amawaterways). These reviews will help you even if you are using a different line. Most of the stops are the same, and the city information is the same.

Check out:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80735

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91848

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=100199

I copied the review from 2fltravelers into a Word doc and added paragraphs. Makes for much easier reading.

The most negative review complained that there was poverty, rain, heat, and "unpleasant" sights in the market. Guess she was expecting the luxury of Crystal and the Disneyland version of southeast Asia.

For us it one of several "trips of a lifetime". Go with a spirit of adventure and joy in interacting with other cultures.

Great tip if you have independent time in Hanoi: use Hanoi Kids for a guide. They are students who give free tours. A small gift such as a T-shirt is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we won't see you in Hanoi then. The hotel there looks great, should get things started in suitable style :)

Amalotus looks like an interesting ship, larger than I would have expected on the Mekong, but it does look very nice.

All three of the Sofitels are excellent properties. Be sure to catch a photo of their classic car in Hanoi.

Sadly they don't use the Citroen for airport pick-ups or I would have booked it.

We'll just have to make do with the 7 series BMW :)

There are some very unique items to be found. In Siem Reap, there are purses made from old fishing nets. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Our hotel had them in the gift shop. I bought a black one and have used it almost daily for 2 years. The silver village has some beautiful items and they take US dollars. The silk village has a variety of scarves--I bought polysilk. In the market in Saigon, there are cooking utensils made of wood from the coconut tree. Also the pantaloons--so comfortable and lightweight. Enjoy. Pat:D

• 1 month later...

We have our visas all sorted now and just a month left before we leave ... :)

Carefully monitoring our flights, we booked our own and although we are already safely in business, I'm still watching for any inventory in first opening up.

Nothing else left to do now, except wait and let the anticipation build...

• 2 months later...

We leave 9/22 for the Viking Magnificent Mekong trip. Doing the Pre and Post extension trips in Bangkok and Ha Long Bay. Just starting to comb these threads for information. When we went with Viking to China, the information here was invaluable. If anyone has found a particularly informative thread, please let me know. Thanks!

We leave 9/22 for the Viking Magnificent Mekong trip. Doing the Pre and Post extension trips in Bangkok and Ha Long Bay. Just starting to comb these threads for information. When we went with Viking to China, the information here was invaluable. If anyone has found a particularly informative thread, please let me know. Thanks!

I guess I really should finish up my report on our recent Viking Mekong trip, I'll bump the thread and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I highly recommend arriving at least a day or 2 prior to embarkation. The flights are long and the time change daunting.

If arriving pre cruise, book a more reasonable hotel than the Sofitel. Their rates are ridiculous and they are taking advantage of the river cruise customers. We stayed at the Oriental (highly recommend; in Old Quarter) which charged us 55 us dollars a night. That included breakfast. The cab fare to Sofitel was less than $2 Whenever we were in the lobby we were addressed by name and they bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable.

Book a tour with Hanoi Kids. You only pay for admission to sites and lunch. We brought them T shirts and some stationary I made. we went to the Museum of Etiology which was fantastic.

In Hanoi Eat at local restaurants.Our tab for 4 of us with $1 beers would come to about $20-25. Stay away from the americanized restaurants which hike up their prices. Hanoi is very safe. Don't be afraid to go out at night.

Bring plenty of sun screen. September tends to be rainier and hot.

Cambodia (Siem Reap) had the best prices. Take tons of $1 and $5 bills. I had about $180 in ones. Make sure they are as crisp as they can be with no tears or ink on them.

Elephant pants are the rage.In Siem Reap you can get them for about $3-4 a pair. T shirts at the stalls in the temples are $2-3 dollars. Negotiate.

we also took an elephant ride at one of the temples during our free afternoon. Our cruise manager got us a tuk tuk to take us there. Make sure to negotiate the price before you get on a tuk tuk.

this was one of the best trips I took. So many wonderful memories. You learn a lot of the culture of these 2 countries.

Edited by krillsister