Soda prices in the Caribbean

dawnb72413

Now that Carnival has changed it's rules regarding bringing cans of soda onboard at ports of call, can anyone tell me how soda prices compare in the Caribbean? Is a 12-pack of Coke more or less expensive in Cozumel or Jamaica than in the US? I'm trying to decide if I want to do Bottomless Bubbles or just stock up when we're in port. Thank you! :)

There aren't many markets or gas stations in cruise ports so finding bulk (multiple boxed/packaged) items won't be as easy as you think.

Well, shoot! Okay, how about individual can prices? If they're more than $2, we might as well just order a soda onboard. Unless we want to try something that we can't get on the ship or at home, of course.

Cozumel is your best choice. We had rented a jeep so we had to fill the jeep back up at a gas/food mart and we were able to replenish my stock of mountain dew. Sorry can't remember the cost but it didn't matter because Carnival didn't sell Mountain Dew. I know it wasn't outrageous or I would have done without, and we used US Dollars.

I even think there is a gas station within walking distance of the port also.

Not sure, but what I remember when they limited carry on non-alcohol beverages to 12 oz cans only (no bottles) and 12 per person, it applies to embarkation only.

You may not may able to carry on additional cans from ports as they may be confiscated and not returned to you.

*** Just read a thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2269456

saying they have changed their mind and we can now bring small amounts (12p/p) of cans on in ports.

Edited by tandemcruzr

Not sure, but what I remember when they limited carry on non-alcohol beverages to 12 oz cans only (no bottles) and 12 per person, it applies to embarkation only.

You may not may able to carry on additional cans from ports as they may be confiscated and not returned to you.

Rules changed today to allow cans (up to 12 per person) to be brought on at all ports of call. per John Heald

Soda is other countries does not taste the same. I never like a can of Diet Coke when I buy them at a port.

Sometimes soda is mixed and bottled directly on the island. In 1987 I spent a week on Barbados and enjoyed the old style coke made with syrup in those iconic glass bottles.

Brought back memories of soda jerks mixing syrup and soda water at the counter and the conical paper cup that fit in the metal holder. I used to swivel on the red leather stools.

Stopped drinking most soda soon after that Barbados vacation.

Cozumel is your best choice. We had rented a jeep so we had to fill the jeep back up at a gas/food mart and we were able to replenish my stock of mountain dew. Sorry can't remember the cost but it didn't matter because Carnival didn't sell Mountain Dew. I know it wasn't outrageous or I would have done without, and we used US Dollars.

I even think there is a gas station within walking distance of the port also.

Do you happen to know if the Mountain Dew was made with real sugar or high fructose corn syrup?