Fun farewell party?

racheltineo

Typically on my four Carnival cruises (2012-two weeks ago), the activities staff will gather at the Lido pool with a DJ. They will ask if everyone is ready for fun. The DJ will play the Curley Shuffle, the Cupid Shuffle, and the Wobble. They will then disappear and the DJ will play a few more songs.

Free drinks. . . water, iced tea, and lemonade.

The farewell party was cancelled a few years ago. For those who don't know what this party was, it was a party at 5:00 on the final day, and free drinks were included. This was the replacement for the captain's cocktail party which preceded the first formal dinner. That captain's cocktail party was always very packed. So they replaced it with the farewell party to save on how much alcohol they had to give out. To make sure that attendance was cut down, they didn't advertise the farewell party, except for one line hidden in the Fun Times, with no description as to what it was. This limited participation, which is what they wanted. Then, they said they were cancelling it for lack of participation,:rolleyes: even though they wanted a lack of participation. It was replaced by the free drink coupon, which has since been cancelled, probably "due to lack of participation".

Edited by k2excursion

The farewell party was cancelled a few years ago. For those who don't know what this party was, it was a party at 5:00 on the final day, and free drinks were included. This was the replacement for the captain's cocktail party which preceded the first formal dinner. That captain's cocktail party was always very packed. So they replaced it with the farewell party to save on how much alcohol they had to give out. To make sure that attendance was cut down, they didn't advertise the farewell party, except for one line hidden in the Fun Times, with no description as to what it was. This limited participation, which is what they wanted. Then, they said they were cancelling it for lack of participation,:rolleyes: even though they wanted a lack of participation. It was replaced by the free drink coupon, which has since been cancelled, probably "due to lack of participation".

You got it EXACTLY correct.......just more of those ol' cutbacks if you ask me!!! :eek::confused::(

What a bummer. Not that I'm looking for freebies lol, but do they do any sort of event or activities where you could snag a free cocktail?

Only if you're platinum. They used to have a past guest party, then a few years ago, it was limited to gold (25+ days) & up. Now, it is limited to platinum (75+ days) & up. I wonder sometimes if people would actually be more offended by the price of a box of Cheerios going up than the box shrinking in size to keep the price the same.

What a bummer. Not that I'm looking for freebies lol, but do they do any sort of event or activities where you could snag a free cocktail?

Only if you're platinum. They used to have a past guest party, then a few years ago, it was limited to gold (25+ days) & up. Now, it is limited to platinum (75+ days) & up. I wonder sometimes if people would actually be more offended by the price of a box of Cheerios going up than the box shrinking in size to keep the price the same.

Also, if you go on a Journeys cruise they have the Captains Party with free drinks.

You can also go to an Art Auction for free champagne. If you are Gold, you get a free drink coupon too.

Just an FYI, there is another group that is invited to the Platinum DIAMOND last day party. They are called Diamonds with 200+ days sailed on Carnival.

You nailed it:(

Amazingly they even managed to cheapen the capts celebration.

Instead of one for early and one for later dining they now have a one size fits all at 7 30.

Only problem is promenade is mobbed with about 50 people on line to take picture of capt and another large group for picture with CD.

We saw this after dinner, shook our heads and went off to comedy club.

Since they dont save any money doing it this way still shaking our heads on this one.

Also, if you go on a Journeys cruise they have the Captains Party with free drinks.

Whats a journeys cruise?

A Journeys cruise is like the ones that start in Galveston and end in Puerto Rico, then the next cruise goes back to Galveston. 21 days in total, a 10-day & 11-day cruise. You can do just 1 or both. Those have looked very interesting, as they go to some great ports, ones that Galveston & New Orleans would never be able to reach on just a 7 or 8-day roundtrip cruise. I had no idea that they reintroduced the Captains Cocktail Party on those. That's good to know.

In response to GatorGirl57, I thought I heard that the free drink coupon was recently replaced with a bottle of water. I haven't sailed since a year ago, but that's just what I had been reading.

Edited by k2excursion

The drink coupon became a bottle of water.

And that is how a cocktail party became a drink of water.

That's so sad... ;-( I'm super disappointed

I know:( There have been a few disappointments along the way since I started cruising on Carnival in 2000. But it does not stop me from having a good time, actually a great time on my cruises. My biggest disappointment was being barred from the "past guest party" when they brought that change in earlier this year. I know, it is only a 45 min party, but I always looked forward to it, attended it, and enjoyed it. Now gold tier vifp are no longer allowed, but get a free drink after 5pm on the last day of the cruise. How fun!!!

I am still going to enjoy my Carnival cruise next week, even though, I am no longer worthy of being invited to a past guest party after 6 cruises. I will enjoy my cruise and will also try to overlook that we also do not get lobster tails on cruise elegant night on cruises less than 6 days.

But, OP please do enjoy all the other fun stuff, and most of all just enjoy your cruise, less the stuff we all used to love and enjoy, but now is gone. Have a great cruise.

Edited by SMSACE6