truffle recipe

3GrayCats

I looked in two of Chef Rudi's cookbooks and did not find it in either. I haven't checked elsewhere.

Someone here posts they have many of the HAL recipes but I never had success with any of them. The quantities are huge and when doing simple arithmetic to decrease the number of servings, I have found all the recipes I tried to be unsatisfactory. (.... I'm told I'm a very good cook. :) )

Would anyone have the truffle recipe featured on the Voyage of the Vikings? I misplaced it, and would appreciate getting a copy of it. Thanks

As one who has most of HAL's recipes, here is what I have for chocolate truffles:

CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE

Ingredients: 1 Liter Heavy cream

2.5 Kilo Dark Chocolate

250 Grams Butter

200 Ml Grand Marnier

100 Gram Praline

Boil the cream and ad the rest of the ingredients, mix till all are melted don’t let it cook any more else it will split up.

Cool down in the refrigerator.

Shape to your liking and dust them with icing sugar or cacao powder.

Enjoy

Martin Groenendijk

Executive Chef Ms. Ryndam

The Quote function has quit working for me, so here's the best I can do :D

Crew News said

Are those the recipes that IRL_Joanie used to have on her site?

Since he is my hubby, yes:) But that is one that was not on my site. And since it came from the Ryndam's Chef, I do not believe it would be in Chef Rudi's books. It was given to me (read us) by Herr Tom Riger, if I remember correctly, on the Zuiderdam.

Joanie

Lol, lizzie! I'm with you there! I've seen some of them...i'm not a math wiz...I can't imagine taking time to convert into "normal" quantities.

I love the scalloped potatoes served in the Pinnacle at lunch and had the recipe . Have made it for Easter and Christmas Eve. Since we moved end of May, that recipe file has not surfaced.

A number of our HAL recipe collection foods have been prepared in our kitchen. Unlike some, I enjoy cooking new things. Making large batches of yogurt, bagels, Greek pastries, chocolate candies, etc. to share with others is fun.

I attend as many of the cooking classes that I can manage on each cruise so I have a nice collection of the class recipes, as well as a stack of aprons. The recipes taste great when replicated by the PG chefs so after learning the techniques, most of the cooking-class recipes (sans habaneros) have been prepared by me at home.

I didn't notice where it says quantity that recipe makes?

Well, with rough "ballpark" conversions to conventional measurements, it uses a quart of cream, over a pound of chocolate, and about a cup of butter. Just imagine piling all of that into a bowl. That would make a lot of truffles.

Well, with rough "ballpark" conversions to conventional measurements, it uses a quart of cream, over a pound of chocolate, and about a cup of butter. Just imagine piling all of that into a bowl. That would make a lot of truffles.

Just a clarification. 2.5 kilos is around 5 1/2 lbs. This recipe will make a lot of regular-sized truffles (or a few really REALLY enormous ones ;) )

oops, you're right. It's 2.2 pounds to the kilogram and I did the conversion "backwards." :o

No problem :D I just wanted people to get a really good idea of how much chocolate is being discussed :D Lots and lots of chocolate :D (I'm Canadian, so I have learned how to work in kilograms.)

Just a clarification. 2.5 kilos is around 5 1/2 lbs. This recipe will make a lot of regular-sized truffles (or a few really REALLY enormous ones ;) )

That's what I mean about these bulk, commercial recipes.

IMO, though I have done a great deal of quantity cooking and baking, these recipes are not very useful for the home kitchen.

I say this only as a heads up to those who try to break them down to manageable size and could face lots of waste, work and be disappointed.

If someone is successful with them, please share how you are able to adapt them aside from simple arithmetic.

That's what I mean about these bulk, commercial recipes.

IMO, though I have done a great deal of quantity cooking and baking, these recipes are not very useful for the home kitchen.

I say this only as a heads up to those who try to break them down to manageable size and could face lots of waste, work and be disappointed.

If someone is successful with them, please share how you are able to adapt them aside from simple arithmetic.

I agree with you that they aren't intended for the home kitchen. As Innlady suggested, it is probably better for a home cook/confectioner to use a recipe that is already scaled.