Land itinerary help

LarryF

Hello folks,

Eight years ago, my wife and I did a week cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. We then rented a car and spent 8 days traveling and experiencing most sights in and near Seward, Whittier, Girdwood, Anchorage, Matanuska Glacier, Palmer (Hatcher Pass), Talkeetna and Denali.

We are looking to return the last week of May this year for a DIY land trip for 7 - 10 days. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the same sights, but would prefer to travel to new places. I'm looking for suggestions. We are in our mid 60s, in decent shape. We enjoy light to moderate hiking, kayaking, glacier trekking (not climbing), etc.

Thanks for your assistance...

Larry

We (DW and I) have done the DIY land tour of Alaska twice so far. We have visited Fairbanks and went to University of Fairbanks which has a nice museum of the north which is very nice. Also, in Fairbanks you can visit Pioneer Park with fresh salmon is served which we have not yet done.

A visit to Chena Hot Springs north of Fairbanks is a nice day visit if you are interested in alternative energies and hydroponics. They have a nice restaurant which has fresh vegetables from their garden.

You could visit the North Pole which is northeast of Fairbanks. North Pole is small town with shops filled with Christmas decorations and other souvenirs.

We did take a visit to Homer, small town and very little to do there, but the drive to Homer was breath taking.....gorgeous. To go to Homer, you would have to set a side at least three days just for Homer. It will take about a day to get there, and about a day to arrive at your other destination. Well worth the trip because of scenery getting to Homer.

David

There are hundreds of touring options. I suggested, on Trip Advisor, you might want to take a closer look at what else is available by heading to a library and considering looking at Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska, which are usually easy to find, and offer concise references. Take a look at a map. List, your priority areas of interest of your last trip, as you will likely be passing by some of those again.

I, multiple repeat my adventures in Alaska all the time. Even if I were to go to the exact same places every time, they are going to, always, be different experiences.

A way for YOU to find an itinerary that works for you, is for you to make lists of what you want to see and do, then keep working at fine tuning it.