MITSUGIRLY BREAKAWAY's 1 last time for the year-review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review! I know it is time consuming but it means a lot to those of us who need a fix when we haven't been cruising for awhile.

I am taking a Mother-Daughter cruise in December and I have already checked out the links you have on the ports of call we will be visiting. Very Helpful!

This would be the night that I would try so many of the various drinks offered on the ship in order to find out which I liked best for the remainder of the cruise.

PA040277%20copy-L.jpg

One of my favorites is always the dirty banana. You can never go wrong with that.

PA040278%20copy-L.jpg

In the end, I discovered that I now have a new favorite drink...Toasted Almond=heaven. I would drink it most of the time during the cruise and the girls also agreed with me on my new favorite drink.

At one point we decided to go bowling. Once we arrive at O'Sheehans, we found that the price was $5 PER PERSON! Not per game. After trying to add that up in our booze filled heads, we decided it would probably not be a wise investment at this time for something that is not even real bowling, but a mini-version. After all, we had already tried it out on the Getaway, so we weren't missing much.

Instead the kids decided to play games. Kolin and Kenny challenged each other to a game of air hockey. The scores went back and forth and it was always a big deal when one of them scored on the other. Drunken air hockey between brothers with family spectators...nothing beats it. I think the most points were scored by them hitting it in their own hole. LOL

PA040274%20copy-L.jpg

Courtney playing games. She ended up with quite a bit of tickets but we had no idea what you are supposed to do with the tickets??? Anyone know?

PA040273%20copy-L.jpg

Kolin played a few rounds of basketball, but I can't seem to locate the pictures for it. Just know balls were flying out and I'm sure you can picture it.

We continued on around the ship to various bars and decided to pick up the kids and fill our bellies with more food.

Since it was late, our options were limited and we headed to the buffet where we would again find our tall tables available for all of us to sit at.

PA040240%20copy-L.jpg

Courtney knows I love my crapes and she come around the corner with a smile on her face with her newly made crape in hand...waving it in my face. Oh, it's on! Off I went to go get mine!

PA040241%20copy-L.jpg

We wondered the same thing about the tickets in the arcade (as my husband and I played a few games of Skee-Ball and accrued a fair amount of tickets as well)! On the Dawn anyway, and I would imagine on other NCL ships, there was a machine in the arcade where you could insert your tickets and then choose from various "prizes" based on how many tickets you had.

As always thanks for the review. I feel for the kids with motion sickness. We were on a ship that had to slow down for hurricane Katrina. I have never been on seas so bad, luckily I took the stuff they give you at guest services and was ok. But it was brutal with with stuff flying everywhere because of the waves.

Also have to say Sakari has inspired me to try the ropes course when we're on Breakaway in March. Of course I may have to do one of those fireball shots first

[quote name=mitsugirly;48101771

Yep' date=' it sounds really pretty and I know that Sakari would love seeing the different animals. It's definitely something I would have to look in to and decide which one to go on. I know there's 2 different places to go and one is better than the other, but of course it comes with a HUGE price tag compared to the other. So that may factor which one we decide to do as well.

I would go fully expecting not to swim and definitely no beaches. :( Different mind set...different mind set. :o[/quote]

I made a mistake in typing and I should have said that the glaciers calve in the SUMMER and not the winter as I wrote. Only some cruises go into Glacier Bay, others go to Sawyer glacier or Tracy Fjord. If you are going to spend the money to see Alaska, definitely go a cruise that goes into Glacier Bay. Because it is a protected area, only a certain number of ships are allowed in each season. I did not do this, but they say the way to really enjoy Alaska is to take a one way cruise, instead of the round trip inside passage, and then do a land tour. Of course this is really expensive, and I think your little ones would enjoy it more when they were older.

Your daughter Sakari is so cute and talented. It must seem really odd to have a grandson and daughter just about the same age. Your whole family is a gift to you, and you have a very attractive family. It is so nice you can spend so much time together and enjoy so many great times together.

Edited by CAC104

The Gem does more than the Bahamas. We are going down to San Juan, St Marten, Tortola in January. They also cruise in the fall from San Juan to the southern Caribbean. The Gem is similar to the Jewel, the Jade and the Pearl. Not the epic shows but easier to just walk around.

Edited by jjikids

Yay! I get to read another one of your awesome reviews! I've enjoyed reading all of them, and they seem to get better and better with each one you do. I'm glad you got to stay at an Embassy Suites, I've stayed with one before two out of three cruises and really love them, especially their breakfasts. I'm going to be in the Gem November of next year when she will be home porting out of Puerto Rico, and I was really hoping you would sail her before me so I could get a preview of what she will be like before I go lol :p:D. Or maybe we'll end up on a cruise together since she will be running a southern Caribbean route at that time! I'm so excited that you're on the Breakaway though, because I'm considering her for a Bermuda cruise sometime in the distant future. Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into your reviews for us all to enjoy and gain information from :).

Thank you so much for the comments and glad you enjoy the reviews. Who knows, I may just end up on the Gem. I was just really hoping it would have something leaving from the states. I'm not so sure I want to fly to PR to board. :(

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review! I know it is time consuming but it means a lot to those of us who need a fix when we haven't been cruising for awhile.

I am taking a Mother-Daughter cruise in December and I have already checked out the links you have on the ports of call we will be visiting. Very Helpful!

Thanks for the comments and kind words. I really appreciate it.

I hope you find something that you'll like in the ports from my reviews. Have a wonderful mother-daughter cruise! :)

We wondered the same thing about the tickets in the arcade (as my husband and I played a few games of Skee-Ball and accrued a fair amount of tickets as well)! On the Dawn anyway, and I would imagine on other NCL ships, there was a machine in the arcade where you could insert your tickets and then choose from various "prizes" based on how many tickets you had.

Since you mentioned "arcade", I'm wondering if maybe there's something in there that you cash in the tickets and get something? I don't recall seeing anything in there but yet again I didn't really check things out and just went in for pictures. Maybe I'll take a better look at my pictures and see if I see anything.

I absolutely love all of your reviews!!! Great review so far as always!! My fiance and I are getting married on the Breakaway in April, you're review is getting me even more excited!! Cant wait to read the rest!!!

Aww, thanks so much. Glad to have you here and wow, getting married on the Breakaway sounds amazing! Congrats!

As always thanks for the review. I feel for the kids with motion sickness. We were on a ship that had to slow down for hurricane Katrina. I have never been on seas so bad, luckily I took the stuff they give you at guest services and was ok. But it was brutal with with stuff flying everywhere because of the waves.

Also have to say Sakari has inspired me to try the ropes course when we're on Breakaway in March. Of course I may have to do one of those fireball shots first

Thank you for your comments. My son did end up going to the desk and got some of the medicine, but they told him you can't take it once you are already sea sick. You have to take it before. I think he saved it for the ride home. LOL

Definitely try the ropes course. It's a lot of fun! LOL at the fireball shot first. :D:p

I made a mistake in typing and I should have said that the glaciers calve in the SUMMER and not the winter as I wrote. Only some cruises go into Glacier Bay, others go to Sawyer glacier or Tracy Fjord. If you are going to spend the money to see Alaska, definitely go a cruise that goes into Glacier Bay. Because it is a protected area, only a certain number of ships are allowed in each season. I did not do this, but they say the way to really enjoy Alaska is to take a one way cruise, instead of the round trip inside passage, and then do a land tour. Of course this is really expensive, and I think your little ones would enjoy it more when they were older.

Your daughter Sakari is so cute and talented. It must seem really odd to have a grandson and daughter just about the same age. Your whole family is a gift to you, and you have a very attractive family. It is so nice you can spend so much time together and enjoy so many great times together.

The Gem does more than the Bahamas. We are going down to San Juan, St Marten, Tortola in January. They also cruise in the fall from San Juan to the southern Caribbean. The Gem is similar to the Jewel, the Jade and the Pearl. Not the epic shows but easier to just walk around.

Yep, I did know that she also goes out of PR. But I was really looking for something coming out of the US like FL or NOLA. I'm not so sure I want to spend the $$ flying to San Juan and having to stay at a place there. It's probably expensive.

Yep, I did know that she also goes out of PR. But I was really looking for something coming out of the US like FL or NOLA. I'm not so sure I want to spend the $$ flying to San Juan and having to stay at a place there. It's probably expensive.

Flying to SJ is about the same price as flying to FL... At least out of NYC. Love sailing out of there since you automatically start your vacation in 80 degree weather. Hotel prices are also not bad if you shop around and use Hotwire or Priceline. Really enjoying your review!

Since you mentioned "arcade", I'm wondering if maybe there's something in there that you cash in the tickets and get something? I don't recall seeing anything in there but yet again I didn't really check things out and just went in for pictures. Maybe I'll take a better look at my pictures and see if I see anything.

Yes, there are two vending machines that you insert all of your tickets in and you get a prize. I don't really remember what kind of prizes they had, but Melissa redeemed her tickets for a set of "gold" bangle bracelets. :D

Thank you so much for the comments and glad you enjoy the reviews. Who knows, I may just end up on the Gem. I was just really hoping it would have something leaving from the states. I'm not so sure I want to fly to PR to board. :(

Thanks for the comments and kind words. I really appreciate it.

I hope you find something that you'll like in the ports from my reviews. Have a wonderful mother-daughter cruise! :)

I admit it is kind of inconvenient flying to PR, but after My mom and sis and I took a cruise out of there with RCI back in September, it is AWESOME starting a cruise in the Caribbean. It just made the vacation seem that much longer to me :p

Edited by New2cruise1483

Loving your review! We will be on the BA in 2 weeks. It will be our 3rd time so when reading the posts I am getting a double treat.........reliving memories and building up our anticipation!

Regarding PR: as someone else posted its about as expensive as flying out of Fl or NY. There is lots to see and do in Old San Juan the costs nothing or next to nothing. There are plenty of local places where you can eat at a reasonable cost. We went there last year and thru Priceline we got the Sheraton Hotel, which is right across the road from the pier for $75 a night. Hotel was decent.

I am looking forward to your next installment. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

I'm enjoying your review and pics. I'm going to be on the Breakaway next year October. The same time frame of your sailing. I hope we do not have to deal with rough seas, because my BF is prone to seasickness. I would hate for him to get sick since we will be celebrating his Birthday in Bermuda.

I can't wait to see what adventures you all had in Bermuda. :)

Chelle

Edited by Chelleum

Enjoying your review! Thanks for taking the time out of your life to do this.

Thank you. :)

Flying to SJ is about the same price as flying to FL... At least out of NYC. Love sailing out of there since you automatically start your vacation in 80 degree weather. Hotel prices are also not bad if you shop around and use Hotwire or Priceline. Really enjoying your review!

I will have to check prices and see. Thanks for the info. :)

Just wanted to say great review so far and can't wait for the next installment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much.

Yes, there are two vending machines that you insert all of your tickets in and you get a prize. I don't really remember what kind of prizes they had, but Melissa redeemed her tickets for a set of "gold" bangle bracelets. :D

Ahh, ok. Courtney had a bunch, although I'm sure it probably takes A LOT to get anything. We just brought them home with us and they will become part of my scrapbooking for the Breakaway. :D

I admit it is kind of inconvenient flying to PR, but after My mom and sis and I took a cruise out of there with RCI back in September, it is AWESOME starting a cruise in the Caribbean. It just made the vacation seem that much longer to me :p

Good point for sure! :D

Loving your review! We will be on the BA in 2 weeks. It will be our 3rd time so when reading the posts I am getting a double treat.........reliving memories and building up our anticipation!

Regarding PR: as someone else posted its about as expensive as flying out of Fl or NY. There is lots to see and do in Old San Juan the costs nothing or next to nothing. There are plenty of local places where you can eat at a reasonable cost. We went there last year and thru Priceline we got the Sheraton Hotel, which is right across the road from the pier for $75 a night. Hotel was decent.

I am looking forward to your next installment. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

That does sound tempting. I'm really thinking about checking it out now. I have several friends from PR that gave me advice on places to go and things to do if we were to cruise there (was looking at a cruise that stopped there earlier this year), but we decided not to go on that cruise and the things we wanted to do would be too far and take too long to do on just 1 day in port. Maybe flying there is the thing to do instead. :D

I'm enjoying your review and pics. I'm going to be on the Breakaway next year October. The same time frame of your sailing. I hope we do not have to deal with rough seas, because my BF is prone to seasickness. I would hate for him to get sick since we will be celebrating his Birthday in Bermuda.

I can't wait to see what adventures you all had in Bermuda. :)

Chelle

I hope you have a wonderful time next year on the BA. We only had the rough seas because of the hurricane. But, this time of year is hurricane season, so you just never know. :o

DAY 4

PA220569%20copy-L.jpg

PA220570%20copy-L.jpg

PA220571%20copy-L.jpg

I woke up at 8am today and I'm not sure why. I knew we weren't going to be in Bermuda until around 2pm, according to the Captain, so I could have slept in. But, it was rise and shine for me.

I turned on the tv and looked at the map:

PA070038%20copy-L.jpg

It definitely looked as if we were there. I ran to the balcony and all I could see was water.

I woke the family up and I'm sure we went to eat breakfast at this point, but obviously I forgot to take my camera. So, I have no idea where we actually ate at. I do remember trying to call the kids and not one of them would answer. So, I guess they were able to accomplish what I couldn't...sleeping in. :cool:

The Captain came on and said that he was way ahead of schedule and that we would probably be in Bermuda around 12 noon instead of 2pm. WHAT?!? But I just redid all of our plans and mapped everything out and.....geesh. Ok, 2 extra hours, I'm not complaining. I'm just frantically trying to rearrange our plans again.

While I'm frantically dialing the kids rooms, while also texting them on the iConceige, I also have all the maps out along with the bus and ferry schedules trying to come up with a new game plan. IF we dock at this time and IF we are cleared by this time, MAYBE we can make the bus or ferry at THIS time. We'll get to HERE by this time, will get to spend THIS much time here. Then we'll have to catch THIS to HERE. Ugh, for a planner like me, this is a nightmare. LOL But a nightmare I'll definitely take with extra hours.

At 10am we were passing by St George. I may be wrong, but I believe this is the opening for the ferry that goes into St George.

PA070039%20copy-L.jpg

PA070041%20copy-L.jpg

The beautiful pastel houses in the area.

PA070042%20copy-L.jpg

Then I seen a familiar beach...St Catherines Beach. This was pretty neat to see in from a distance knowing that we were just there in June.

I know they were busy building a shack there that looked like it was going to be a place to get food and drinks (this has been confirmed since we were there back in June) and it looks like it might be completed now. (By the color of the shack being painted)

Also in this picture, it shows you just how close Achilles Bay is to St Catherine. Actually, just on the other side of each other. The blue building you see on the hill is to Achilles Bay.

PA070044%20copy-L.jpg

Of course on the opposite side of Fort Catherine's is Achilles Bay, which we had also went to back in June and had a great meal and a good time snorkeling. Here you can see the bay area.

PA070048%20copy-L.jpg

The kids were up. I told them to get dressed, head for breakfast and go down to the excursions desk and buy a 2 day pass. After all these changes, late arrival, early to leave, I just didn't even want to mess with the "cheapest" way to travel using coins, passes, tickets and so on. Just buy the pass and we won't have to worry about it anymore.

The passes were purchased and we were set no matter what we were going to do.

PA220582%20copy-L.jpg

We were pulling in. Bermuda here we come!!!

This picture was taken at 11:27am and we were already being tied off!

PA070050%20copy-L.jpg

PA070051%20copy-L.jpg

It was a beautiful and sunny day. WOO HOO! And there was HEAT!

PA070053%20copy-L.jpg

PA070054%20copy-L.jpg

Then we hear THIS.... can you see it? It has lights. It makes noises. I spotted and heard it coming all the way up by the prison.

PA070055%20copy-L.jpg