Cautionary tale

pizzadog

When my husband and I were in Venice we naively sat at one of the outdoor cafes in St. Marks Square. We each ordered a piece of pie and a cup of coffee. The bill was the equivalent of $60 Canadian. It was the first time I have ever not left a tip in a restaurant. I'm sure it wasn't the server's fault but I was so angry at being taken advantage of that I wasn't parting with another cent in that place.

I didn't tell my husband what the bill was until after we had left the restaurant.

It was way back in 1984 when we were in Venice and decided to have a drink at one of those outdoor cafes on St. marks Square - and yes - the menu listed the surcharge for "the music". It was not a scam or being taken advantage of: refreshments and services rendered at a publicly displayed price.

Now we were scammed at a strip joint in Hamburg earlier in that trip but we were young and naive. We learnt our lessen quickly!

Edited by Boytjie

Sorry, but I don't think you were ripped off. It's a tourist area and they will get as much as possible.

Just reread my original post. Nowhere did I say we were ripped off. The intent of the post was simply to alert other travellers to the folly of not checking menu prices etc. first. I took responsibility for not having done so. Not everyone is as well travelled and experienced as some other posters. We have learned a valuable lesson and hope we have helped others do so as well.

Just reread my original post. Nowhere did I say we were ripped off. The intent of the post was simply to alert other travellers to the folly of not checking menu prices etc. first. I took responsibility for not having done so. Not everyone is as well travelled and experienced as some other posters. We have learned a valuable lesson and hope we have helped others do so as well.

I found your post to be very helpful. I'm guilty of not looking at the menu prices in Venice a few years ago. Boy, was I sorry when the bill came.

Amsterdam got us.Sat down for casual dinner,we saw people at table next to us with freshly squeezed orange juice.We ordered 2,the glasses we small so we ordered 2 more......

15 euros a glass.We spent 60 euos on oj......

Always check prices....

OP I know you never said it was a rip-off..I said it & I still standby what I said!

If you think this a rip-off price, then please never visit London or Europe. Two marghritas may cost in excess of $36 in London even if the tortilla are complimentary and the bar looks a bit seedy.

It is all relative. What one tourist considers to be a rip-off price, another tourist will find reasonable.

As for following a man to a bar....... I am surprised we not heed our advice to our own children when telling them never to talk to or follow strangers.

I've been to London probably 20 times as well as Paris, & even drove throughout Italy, Belgium & Holland, as I 'm retired from an International Airline & I would never compare Huatulco, Mexico with your beautiful cities.. I've travelled extensively & know the prices in Europe, Australia, Africa, & the Far East but I also know Mexico.. I standby my original post! The OP was ripped-off.. I've been to many Tourist Towns in Mexico.. Now if the OP had been in Tokyo, I might have said they were not ripped off, but heavens this is Mexico & unfortunately they did not look at the menu..

I have to laugh at those comparing it to London or indeed anywhere in Europe. This is Huatulco in Mexico we are talking about. Seedy beachfront (because there's nowhere else) cafes.:rolleyes: and aggressive vendors everywhere.

You've got it right, Lizzie..:eek:

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. Although I've had the good fortune to traveling to many countries over the years, I could see myself not thinking to check the menu before ordering a drink and some snacks.

I think the prices were a little over the top, not a rip off (I know that the OP did NOT say this -- I'm addressing those who did). They certainly took advantage of their convenient location and the pull of "free" Wi-Fi!

Again, thanks for the reminder to ask for a menu or the prices -- and not be afraid of what the waiter might think of us for doing so! :)

Thank you for your post OP

I'm in the $36 ain't bad for a tourist spot with Wi-Fi so here's my question -

If you had read the menu prices , what would you have done ?

I would have stayed having spent more for less .

While I don't feel the price is unreasonable... the bottom line is buyer beware.... every where, always ask up front. We have made the same mistake, even in the USA... once it was raining very hard in Ft Lauderdale, we got a taxi to go a short distance, we did not ask the minimum fare... we paid.