Danube on Gate 1 feedback needed and help with optional excursions

ninaks

We are looking at taking a river cruise with Gate 1 next year. We have done 2 cruises with Viking on the Rhine and in France and loved them, but Gate 1 is much less expensive. It would be on a brand new ship on the Danube in September. They offer a choice between Linz and Cesky Krumlov. Can anyone recommend which would be a better choice? Also, has anyone recently been on a Gate 1 river cruise. I found several reviews, but most are several years old. Not worried about a review of the ship since we will be no a new one, but the staff, food, tours, etc. Thank you for your help!

Have not done a river cruise with Gate 1 but did a land tour in 2014 that visited Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava, Prague with a stop in Cesky Krumlov (it was spectacular).

Was very impressed with "value for money" with Gate 1 e.g. stayed 3 nights at the Hilton in Vienna. FYI, on some of our excursions we kept meeting river cruise groups on excursions so it seemed like our tours were very similar.

All of our tour guides were knowledgable, friendly and fluent in English.

I have looked at Gate 1 for a river cruise but they didn't have the itinerary that I was looking for.

Judy

Good to hear that you have had a good experience with Gate 1 tours. Everything I read about them seems to be very positive.

Did not have single hiccup or negative. Would recommend them to anyone. We also did a couple of optional tours that were first class all the way.

We've done five tours with Gate 1, including their China land/river cruise combo, have our sixth set for 2016, and have enjoyed each and every trip. They are not five star, nor are they priced to be five star, instead I would say they are three star+, with the occasional four star experience, delivering, IMO, excellent value for the price paid.

Our China river cruise with Gate 1 was four nights/five days on the Yangtze. The ship was clean, but far from new, and the amenities pretty basic compared to what I see on dedicated river cruise line ships. It looks like the ship you are considering is newer, larger, and a bit fancier than what we experienced in China, so on paper it looks good.

What might be different, knowing Gate 1, is there will be less happening on on board the ship, particularly at night, compared to other dedicated river cruise lines.

Edited by Tamara2cruise

Thank you for the information. The new boat looks amazing and has lots of amenities if it comes out like they describe it. For myself, in the evenings after dinner, we usually go right to bed having been worn out from the day so I don't mind less evening activity. I think you are so right, that if you know what level to expect going in, you won't be dissapointed. We went ahead and booked for the Danube next September and already I can't wait. For us it was important to go to Salzburg and they were the only ones who offered it for a week long cruise. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thank you for the information. The new boat looks amazing and has lots of amenities if it comes out like they describe it. For myself, in the evenings after dinner, we usually go right to bed having been worn out from the day so I don't mind less evening activity. I think you are so right, that if you know what level to expect going in, you won't be dissapointed. We went ahead and booked for the Danube next September and already I can't wait. For us it was important to go to Salzburg and they were the only ones who offered it for a week long cruise. Thanks again for the feedback.

Have a great trip.

Judy