Prince William Sound cruise

travelnut4

I will be cruising the 7 day Southbound with Princess next summer leaving from Whittier, and am interested in taking a Prince William Sound cruise the day of departure. I had researched and was ready to book a Major Marine Surprise Glacier cruise, but it is not available the day I wanted! Now to decide between Phillips 26 Glacier, or the shorter Blackstone Cruises from either company. I am hesitant about the fast speeding Phillips 26 glacier boat, racing to get to the next glacier area...BUT it goes so much further than Blackstone Bay. Would I really be missing a lot by taking the more relaxing and slower Blackstone cruise? Would love to hear from those who have experiences both!

Philips does an excellent job with their boat tour. You are overthinking the "fast" worry, in my opinion. This tour would be taken because you want to go further and see more glaciers and sights. Going to Blackstone- is equally worthwhile with multiple glaciers also being seen, you do have more opportunity for seeing calving, since the boats linger longer at glaciers. Up to you what your preference is.

Philips does use a larger boat, and is the ship contractor.

Either tour is a great choice- which ever one you choose you are missing the other. It doesn't matter how I or anyone else ranks them, frankly.

I will be cruising the 7 day Southbound with Princess next summer leaving from Whittier, and am interested in taking a Prince William Sound cruise the day of departure. I had researched and was ready to book a Major Marine Surprise Glacier cruise, but it is not available the day I wanted! Now to decide between Phillips 26 Glacier, or the shorter Blackstone Cruises from either company. I am hesitant about the fast speeding Phillips 26 glacier boat, racing to get to the next glacier area...BUT it goes so much further than Blackstone Bay. Would I really be missing a lot by taking the more relaxing and slower Blackstone cruise? Would love to hear from those who have experiences both!

I just did the 26 Glacier Cruise on August 29 before boarding the Star Princess. It was fantastic and the catamaran isn't really racing from glacier to glacier. We lingered in many areas to view marine life so you don't need to worry about being on a racing boat ;) It really is the right pace and most stops are close together so you aren't always covering a long distance - except going out and back.....

The cruise gets great reviews so don't hesitate - book it! You won't be disappointed :D

If you get a chance take the Alaska RR from Anchorage. It leaves at 9:45 am and takes you right to the harbor where you just walk a short distance to Phillips Cruises for checkin. You check your bags with the RR in Anchorage (with Princess tags on) and they are delivered right to the ship. Just carry a day bag and enjoy!

I just did the 26 Glacier Cruise on August 29 before boarding the Star Princess. It was fantastic and the catamaran isn't really racing from glacier to glacier. We lingered in many areas to view marine life so you don't need to worry about being on a racing boat ;) It really is the right pace and most stops are close together so you aren't always covering a long distance - except going out and back.....

The cruise gets great reviews so don't hesitate - book it! You won't be disappointed :D

If you get a chance take the Alaska RR from Anchorage. It leaves at 9:45 am and takes you right to the harbor where you just walk a short distance to Phillips Cruises for checkin. You check your bags with the RR in Anchorage (with Princess tags on) and they are delivered right to the ship. Just carry a day bag and enjoy!

Have you also gone to Blackstone Bay?

Thanks for your words of experience! This is what we will be doing as well, along with the train. Now hoping for a beautiful sunshiny day! :)