Need help!!! Should I take the upgrade???

luvs2beachit

Just received an email from TA saying that NCL was offering us an upgrade from our spa balcony cabin to the Haven Courtyard Penthouse for $500 pp.

Should we take it????????????

This is our 2nd offer. First was for $750 pp.

What do you think?:confused:

How many people in your party? If it were my family, a party of 3, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I'm curious, are you a frequent NCL cruiser?

I have an upcoming cruise I'd like to upgrade to just a balcony. No way to know how many guaranteed balconies are sold, but looks like an awful lot remain available. Was being cheap when we booked and feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse.

I upgraded from a spa balcony to a haven spa balcony and when i called the upgrade # they told me that I could not get the all the free style choices since it was a discount upgrade. So I called the reservations line and upgraded that way. The original price was going to be $1000 per person (by going through the upgraded department) and we got it $800 per person with all the free style choices included and $300 OBC (by calling reservations). Not sure why it was cheaper just to call and move rooms, but its worth a shot to call both and see which works better for you.

Thanks for all the feedback. The sailing is 11/8/15, Breakaway 7 day to the Bahamas out of NY. This is our 2nd upgrade offer.

After much discussion we have decided not to take the upgrade at this point for several reasons.

1) We already have a spa balcony cabin in a great location that we are very happy with. We got an excellent deal on this cabin through CAS and we have already paid to upgrade to this cabin.

2) The promos that are currently being offered with a Haven H5 cat booking do NOT come with this upgrade. The upgrade would only be the Haven cabin. (We would lose access to the spa which is important to us). We would keep the promo we received at the time of booking our ORIGINAL reservation. This is not really a deal breaker for us as we have the Ultimate dining package and the DOU card through CAS as well as priority boarding. I have already booked all our restaurants and shows so don't need special assistance with any of that.

3) We are traveling with 2 other couples who we like to spend time with. We are not attached at the hip but we frequently meet up during the day for lunch, breakfast or drinks and since they would not have access to the Haven for breakfast or lunch in Cagney's, in the end, we would be eating / drinking with them in the regular places and not using the Cagney / private restaurant benefit so much.

4) Since this is our 5th cruise this year what we like most about going out of NY is that there is no airfare for us! We go from home to the port in less than an hour. The money we save on the airfare will go towards the 2 cruises we have already booked for 2016. Upgrading for $1000 kind of negates the air savings.

Now having said all this I must admit that we are really still back and forth with our decision. There is part of me that is already regretting our decision. It sure would have been nice! But the logical part of me is saying it was the right decision for us. However, if they come back with a better deal I am thinking that logic will fly out the window and we would take the upgrade! Maybe # 3 upgrade offer will be the charm!

Again, thanks for all your comments.:)

Edited by luvs2beachit

MY view is when the offers come in you look at all the availability and consider alternatives including the price they are worth to you for each one.

You can then counter offer with something that works and leave your offer on the table.

current pricing for your cruise (before tx and choice grats) (grade-Avalalbe)

$1019 Spa balcony(B9-10)

$1179 Spa Mini (M9- 2)

$2049 Spa Suite(H9 - 5 availble)

$2299 Courtyard penthouse(h5-5)

Put an offer in for a Spa suite

And ask your friends if they are interested in upsell and put offers in for them as well

( I did that we got the offer, upgraded ourselfs and parents to suites near each other and got a discount for having 2)

Edited by insidecabin

I'm curious, are you a frequent NCL cruiser?

I have an upcoming cruise I'd like to upgrade to just a balcony. No way to know how many guaranteed balconies are sold, but looks like an awful lot remain available. Was being cheap when we booked and feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse.

Can you call NCL and ask for an upgrade?

OK, you may also want to check into this, but didn't someone post here that they had a spa suite booked for that week and were contacted by the Corporate office that the spa would be closed that week for repairs. If this is true that may also factor into your decision. I think the thread was titled something like "contacted by corporate office". Don't mean to panic you, but you may want to read it and check you see if it's for your sailing.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you do!

OK, you may also want to check into this, but didn't someone post here that they had a spa suite booked for that week and were contacted by the Corporate office that the spa would be closed that week for repairs.
That thread (click here) was about the previous week's sailing (BA 11/1/15), and the spa was supposedly only going to be out of service for that one week.

After much discussion we have decided not to take the upgrade at this point for several reasons.

I think you made the right decision, since you are traveling with friends. insidecabin as usual has great advice, but I think it would be hard to swing 3 upgrades (assuming that everyone is interested)…

MY view is when the offers come in you look at all the availability and consider alternatives including the price they are worth to you for each one.

You can then counter offer with something that works and leave your offer on the table.

current pricing for your cruise (before tx and choice grats) (grade-Avalalbe)

$1019 Spa balcony(B9-10)

$1179 Spa Mini (M9- 2)

$2049 Spa Suite(H9 - 5 availble)

$2299 Courtyard penthouse(h5-5)

Put an offer in for a Spa suite

And ask your friends if they are interested in upsell and put offers in for them as well

( I did that we got the offer, upgraded ourselfs and parents to suites near each other and got a discount for having 2)

I did try to bargain with the NCL rep. but she said she said she couldn't do anything more than what the current upsell price. I also did try for the spa suite but again the answer was no. She did however say that there could be another offering and she suggested that I continue to call and check. Never thought to bargain for our friends. That's an interesting thought.

OK, you may also want to check into this, but didn't someone post here that they had a spa suite booked for that week and were contacted by the Corporate office that the spa would be closed that week for repairs. If this is true that may also factor into your decision. I think the thread was titled something like "contacted by corporate office". Don't mean to panic you, but you may want to read it and check you see if it's for your sailing.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you do!

Thanks goldmom for passing on that info but I believe that the closure if for the week before our cruise and that according to NCL the repairs will be completed that week. If the repairs were for our week we would have taken the Haven offer.

Thanks goldmom for passing on that info but I believe that the closure if for the week before our cruise and that according to NCL the repairs will be completed that week. If the repairs were for our week we would have taken the Haven offer.

Great! Very happy for you that it's not on your sailing, I couldn't remember which sailing they had said was affected. Have a great cruise and since you're also traveling with friends, I think you made the right decision. Even though I'm sure it was a tough one!

Enjoy!