Please tell me why the shows on Breakaway are not for kids???

takeadip

Hello All,

For those of you who have been on the Breakaway and more importantly attended any of the shows on board that are adult only...not recommended for small children please shed some light..

1. Why specifically are there shows not suitable for all on board?

2. Is there certain shows that use profane language?

3. Is there an over abundance of female/ male nudity featured?

4. Is there cuss words that are said?

5. Is there suggestive dancing/ movements meant to titillate the crowd?

i keep hearing that kids should be kept away...but no one says why...i am starting to think that the people posting these warnings just want a "kid free" environment.

Please help me understand these adult shows..

Best,

Mark

There are shows/events that are suitable for kids and there are some that are not. It's called variety. For example the late show of the comedy show might have bad language or rock of ages could have a slight sexual nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock of Ages, and late night second city shows are adult orientated and not for children.

You would not want your small child to "lick" a lollipop like they will see in the show, even though they do not understand it.....

Safe sailing

Takeadip -

You can go to youtube and search for any of the shows on Breakaway and determine yourself if they are appropriate for your kids.

We have been on an RCL cruise and an NCL cruise and I think its really a parent/child decision (Meaning you as the parent know your child and whats appropriate for them)

On RCL the magician had assistants dressed like show girls from Las Vegas. We stayed and watched the show and our ten year old asked why the girls were dressed "Trashy" for a magic show. So those types of discussions can be generated by the costumes and language used in some of the shows. We asked her if the magic show was any good, she said "not really" and we said well...when performers are not really good at performing, sometimes they think that inappropriate attire make the performance more interesting.

My wife and I watched one of the shows on the NCL Star on our last cruise and the costumes were fine. The plotline of the show was a couple that fell in love and then separated and the Man was faced with all kinds of advances and had to decide how to deal with them. We had met one of the performers earlier and he had invited us to see it. While we enjoyed the dancing and acting, the plot was thin and really not something that interested us nor was it something I'd want my kids watching (our kids were not on this cruise). It was all set to Burt Bacharach music and really other than the sexually based plot it wasnt bad. Just not for us and we didnt stay for more than 3 or 4 numbers.

So its really a personal decision. My wife and I are pretty good about "prescreening" before letting our kids watch anything. We dont want to hide them away from all the world has to offer but there are certainly things they don't need to learn about until their little minds reach a certain level of maturity.

-Sean

thank you all...it makes sense.. i dont think we will be attending the shows labeled for adults...our son will be 6 when we cruise...definitely a NO.

plus the shows seem to be pretty late in the evening...usually after dinner we try mini golf or something low key then its off to bed...cause our little guy is usually exhausted from all the activities...

much appreciated,

-Mark

The show Rock of Ages is widely Shelley and you can read reviews and plot lines and make your own decision.

There are shows that are clearly marked for 18+ In the daily program later at night. This mostly centers around direct and suggestive dialog and profanity. No nudity. Clearly not a kids show.

And there is everything in between. The Not So Newlywed game done in prime time may ask questions about the first time, last time, most memorable time you made woopie. Clearly suggestive, but not right out sexual. The Mr and Ms NCL contests at the pool often feature guest in their finest string bikinis and speedos with provacstivel poses to get higher scores. Again, you choose what you want to expose your kids to.

Maybe focus on the kids shows during the day. All featuring [not Nicalodian] characters. And family activities like make your own pizza.

I've seen Rock of Ages twice on the BA. There are kids in the audience at every show, but there are some sexual references that are made numerous times. It really depends how old the kids are and if you/them are comfortable with it. The Comedy has different showings for 18+. If your kid is 6 Rock of Ages may go over their head, but maybe not.

Rock Of ages is definitely adult oriented. I saw a number of parents ignore the warnings, and there are several. It only took a few minutes before they were leaving.

I had to hand it to them though. We stayed for about 50 minutes before we left, for a different reason. The songs we love, and have seen the original bands performing them many times. They destroyed just about all of them. I kept hoping it would get better, but it was not to be. Neat show, with a cruise ship cast, unfortunately. My wife tried to tell me. In the end, I had to admin Tom Cruise was a better singer.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

When I was on the GA in the comedy club late show the comedian mentioned a couple times that there was a family with 2 young kids so he couldn't do his normal jokes.

Why would a comedian curtail his act because of dumb parents.

Any comic worth standing at that mic would have done there set without restraint. What a HACK!!!

Any comic worth standing at that mic would have done there set without restraint. What a HACK!!!

Could not agree more, why let a few ignoring the warnings ruin it for the many?

Slightly off topic, we attended the opening night of Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical on the Epic tonight. There were multiple warnings in English and Spanish that the subject matter of the show (drag queens) was not appropriate for children and sensitive people.

Even with the admonishment, there were families with small children. The show played to a completely full theater with standing room only. Very limited profanity. Some suggestive statements, outside of the general topic.

BTW it was a great show and got a prolonged standing ovation. A few first night jitters and small technical glitches, but errors were unnoticed by most.

We took out 13yr old to Rock of Ages and it was fine, yes there is the F word used and some other words but we've raised him to know right from wrong and he knows what he can say and cants.

The late night comedy shows are marked 18+ only and kids are not permitted in those shows, even Howl at the Moon will keep it clean until 10 then they add adult content into their show.

Hello All,

For those of you who have been on the Breakaway and more importantly attended any of the shows on board that are adult only...not recommended for small children please shed some light..

i keep hearing that kids should be kept away...but no one says why...i am starting to think that the people posting these warnings just want a "kid free" environment.

Best,

Mark

1. The adult shows are Rock of Ages and Second City (late shows); the reasons they are labeled for adults is because of the language used and adult themes (sex and drugs).

2. Rock of Ages and Second City and Howl at the Moon use profane language.

3. None of the shows have nudity.

4. Yes, curse words are used in these shows.

5. Rock of Ages uses suggestive dancing/acting. Burn the Floor also has suggestive dancing, but no more so than Dancing with the Stars.

Hello All,

Best,

Mark

At one showing, I saw families bringing their little kids and then walk out in disgust, shaking their heads. They didn't have a leg to stand on as there were numerous warnings/announcements that the show was adult focused. It's a personal choice, but I do not think it's appropriate for anyone under 13-14 or so. A few F bombs and the "sex in bathroom" inference is a bit much for a kid. Actually, I saw a few seniors walk out too due to the loud music. (I'm no prude/stick in the mud and enjoy a good raunchy joke, I am just wearing my parent hat)

The later comedy is adult focused as well and should be. Any one wanting a 1030pm kid free environment in a comedy club and a few adult laughs doesn't make them a big anti kid meanie! Empty Nesters should have the right to fun too! ;)

At one showing, I saw families bringing their little kids and then walk out in disgust, shaking their heads. They didn't have a leg to stand on as there were numerous warnings/announcements that the show was adult focused. It's a personal choice, but I do not think it's appropriate for anyone under 13-14 or so. A few F bombs and the "sex in bathroom" inference is a bit much for a kid. Actually, I saw a few seniors walk out too due to the loud music. (I'm no prude/stick in the mud and enjoy a good raunchy joke, I am just wearing my parent hat)

The later comedy is adult focused as well and should be. Any one wanting a 1030pm kid free environment in a comedy club and a few adult laughs doesn't make them a big anti kid meanie! Empty Nesters should have the right to fun too! ;)

I agree with you completely, during the day time is definitely appropriate for kid friendly entertainment. After a certain time the adult entertainment starts. What I think it is and I have said this before, a lot of parents bring their kids on a cruise that's fine but at the same time they want to enjoy the adult things, you just can't do that. If you have somebody willing to watch your kids in the room then great awesome wonderful. But don't expect to bring your kids on the cruise and be able to fully enjoy yourself on adult time, that's not fair to the other cruisers. Some people realize that and that's why they get a babysitter before they go on a cruise, if you want family time on a cruise and then it should be family time 24/7.

because those that ignore warnings would also be the first ones to sue NCL saying the show's material damaged their kids to the point of needing thousands of dollars in therapy...............:rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, we attended the opening night of Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical on the Epic tonight. There were multiple warnings in English and Spanish that the subject matter of the show (drag queens) was not appropriate for children and sensitive people.

Even with the admonishment, there were families with small children. The show played to a completely full theater with standing room only. Very limited profanity. Some suggestive statements, outside of the general topic.

BTW it was a great show and got a prolonged standing ovation. A few first night jitters and small technical glitches, but errors were unnoticed by most.

And to further this off topic comment, the Epic is showing Percilla the movie on its movie channel.

N

Good question. I got the feeling it was because NCL told him to tame it down when kids were around. Or he was personally uncomfortable with the kids being there.

N

Good question. I got the feeling it was because NCL told him to tame it down when kids were around. Or he was personally uncomfortable with the kids being there.

I think most parents will realize what is appropriate and inappropriate for their kids. There will always be a few that are clueless. It's the same as those who go on a "booze cruise" with their toddlers in tow. The vast majority of parents are responsible people, at least in my experience, but there are always a few losers mixed in. Now I'm single so I don't speak from personal experience here, but if I had my kids with me I sure as hell wouldn't want them too see me get crocked. (Maybe that's why I'm still single?:rolleyes:). To the OP, there are plenty of family oriented activities on board the ship, especially on one like the Breakaway. Leave the grown ups to have their fun too. :)

N

When we have been on the BA (or any NCL ship) late night-each venue clearly stated it was an adult only show. Before any adult only jokes / language was used, they warned the audience again, then went on with their show as planned...nothing held back. If parents with children left, they commented to them " You were forewarned- adult only", but nobody changed or held back on there routine. We would of been highly upset if we went to a adult only show, and it had to be "G" rated due to children, who do not belong there at that time, being there.

Safe sailing