My health Ins plan stinks

Anniam6

I have coverage through my husband's work and it's awful. Doesn't cover a single thing until we meet the deductible which never happens.

I am buying trip ins because I know my primary ins won't kick in until we spend a few thousand more and then it resets in Dec.

My question is : Does it matter if the trip insurance says the medical is primary or secondary if my health ins won't cover anything?

Also, does any trip ins cover the ship breaking down or anything like that?

Thanks. I live in the US if that matters.

I have coverage through my husband's work and it's awful. Doesn't cover a single thing until we meet the deductible which never happens.

I am buying trip ins because I know my primary ins won't kick in until we spend a few thousand more and then it resets in Dec.

My question is : Does it matter if the trip insurance says the medical is primary or secondary if my health ins won't cover anything?

Also, does any trip ins cover the ship breaking down or anything like that?

Thanks. I live in the US if that matters.

I paid $25/pp to make my trip insurance primary. The reason is I don't want to have to submit to my insurance, they take a couple of months to say no, then I can file with the trip insurance. If the trip insurance policy is primary, I can submit to them immediately. If it is secondary, even though you're not covered by your regular insurance you still must wait to be declined by them...as I understand it.

Regarding the ship breaking down, you have to read the full policy provisions to see if that's included in your coverage or not.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

There are different parts to travel insurance: medical, medical evacuation/repatriation, cancellation or delay, interruption, lost luggage.

Some people buy all, some buy just parts, all depending on their needs.

In your example, you should buy primary coverage. As the previous poster said, with primary you don't have to wait for your home health insurer to decline coverage first before a secondary trip insurer will pay.

Also note with either primary or secondary a lot of travel insurance medical policies are "indemnity" policies. Which means "you pay" the doc first and file a claim for reimbursement when you get home.

If its a serious enough condition and you're staying for awhile some facilities will accept a letter of guarantee from the insurer, but that will take time to process. This is what happened to my uncle a few years back.