na pali coast on POA

sjmbruce

Does the cruise ship do a nice float past the Na pali coast? I was looking at a small boat tour of the coast that includes snorkeling but am not sure if it'd be worth it if the cruise ship will sail by the same scenery.

Yes, after the ship leaves port at 2:00 on Friday it heads for Napali. We were viewing the coastline for hours. I don't recall how long it took to reach the Na Pali area, but the sun was starting to set at around the time the ship made its turn, headed farther out and then back down the coastline. This was in late August so it would have been around 7:00 PM.

Although the sail by is spectacular, I will say that the experience in a small boat is still worthwhile, IMO, as it gets you much closer than the cruise ship does. We did this once in a cat from the Hanalie area on a land vacation. Not sure what month you are cruising, but the north shore of Kauai gets big surf in the winter months. It can be very rocky on a small boat and maybe not ideal for snorkeling.

And of course if you do a copter tour, you will fly down this coast and back up into the valleys.

thanks for the input! the coast looks so pretty it seems worth it to see it more than once.

here's my dilemma - i also really want to take a helicopter ride in Kauai. i'm in port from 10am wednesday to 2pm thursday. i was planning on doing the na pali coast small boat tour on wednesday, then the earliest helicopter ride on thursday. on one hand, i've heard to make the helicopter reservations on the first morning in case its cancelled, that way there is a chance of rescheduling. however, i've also read that the earlier in the morning, the better the weather. on wednesday we wouldnt be able to book until 11:30, while on thursday we could go on the 8:30 flight.

any thoughts on my plans?

Yes, after the ship leaves port at 2:00 on Friday it heads for Napali. We were viewing the coastline for hours. I don't recall how long it took to reach the Na Pali area, but the sun was starting to set at around the time the ship made its turn, headed farther out and then back down the coastline. This was in late August so it would have been around 7:00 PM.

Although the sail by is spectacular, I will say that the experience in a small boat is still worthwhile, IMO, as it gets you much closer than the cruise ship does. We did this once in a cat from the Hanalie area on a land vacation. Not sure what month you are cruising, but the north shore of Kauai gets big surf in the winter months. It can be very rocky on a small boat and maybe not ideal for snorkeling.

And of course if you do a copter tour, you will fly down this coast and back up into the valleys.

IMO, the best small boat tours are in RIBs (e.g., Zodiacs) though the ride in the southwest direction is generally smoother than the other way in a round trip. That said, if you only have time for one event, take the longest helicopter ride you can afford (with a major focus on NaPali).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer