What to do after Maho Beach??

MikeACY

We will be in St. Maarten for approx 8 hours in November. We want to visit Maho Beach and maybe have a drink or two at one of the bars. I have been reading that it isn't a place to spend the entire day. So any suggestions on another beach not too far from Maho or the cruise port that has nice sand, beach chairs, rest rooms, etc etc?

PS: Crowds don't bother me...

Thank you!

Mike

My husband and I usually go to Maho Beach first thing to see the low planes coming in and then go to Orient Beach in the late morning for the rest of the day.:)

Humm.... I just quickly checked it out.

Is it a "nude" beach?

How far from Maho?

Thanks

Mike

Orient could take up to a hour to reach. I would go to Mullet Bay beach which is in walking distance to Maho. Only the beach and pool area around Club Orient is nude but sometimes they like to go for a walk down the beach. :eek:

I would plan for at least 45 minutes, Maho - Orient. Yes, it could take an hour.

Can't argue with Mullet Bay Beach.

Where is the pool at Club Orient?

Club Orient Resort and their beach are Clothing OPTIONAL, you can be nude or partial or not at all. No one cares. There is another mile of beach at Orient Bay that is not 'nude'.

The planes arriving at Maho before mid-day will all be little island-hoppers. 11- 3 will have the bigger guys arriving.

gary

I would plan for at least 45 minutes, Maho - Orient. Yes, it could take an hour.

Can't argue with Mullet Bay Beach.

Where is the pool at Club Orient?

Club Orient Resort and their beach are Clothing OPTIONAL, you can be nude or partial or not at all. No one cares. There is another mile of beach at Orient Bay that is not 'nude'.

The planes arriving at Maho before mid-day will all be little island-hoppers. 11- 3 will have the bigger guys arriving.

gary

Thanks for all your replies...a few more questions.

1) Which beach is closer to where the cruise ship dock...Orient or Mullet Bay?

2) Are the beaches "free"?

3) Does both beaches (Orient/Mullet) have chairs, lounges, rest rooms..etc?

Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Mullet is the beach beside Maho. It is a short taxi ride or 15 minute walk away. On a cruise day I would recommend Maho/Mullet over Maho/Orient myself. On your next visit go to Orient. There is so much to do there you could easily spend the entire day.

Mullet is the beach beside Maho. It is a short taxi ride or 15 minute walk away. On a cruise day I would recommend Maho/Mullet over Maho/Orient myself. On your next visit go to Orient. There is so much to do there you could easily spend the entire day.

Thanks ...I think that is what we will do Maho/Mullet

Thanks!!!!

I see a possibility of miscommunication here. :(

The 'short taxi ride or 15 minute walk away' might be interepreted as from the Cruise Facility????

As we know, Mullet is close to Maho, not the Cruise Facility, so they would have to get to Maho first, before the short timeframe kicks in.

I think that by road miles Orient and Maho/Mullet are actually about equidistance from the Cruise Facility, but travel time could be double or triple to and from Maho/Mullet compared to Orient.

All beaches are 'free' to visit. Chairs, umbrellas and such are additional, anywhere on the island.

Orient has a number of beach bars/restaurants, many with bathroom facilities. Mullet has two, with one Porta-Potty as the only bathroom facility on our last visit.

gary

We will be in St. Maarten for approx 8 hours in November. We want to visit Maho Beach and maybe have a drink or two at one of the bars. I have been reading that it isn't a place to spend the entire day. So any suggestions on another beach not too far from Maho or the cruise port that has nice sand, beach chairs, rest rooms, etc etc?

PS: Crowds don't bother me...

Thank you!

Mike

This is the post #1. Maho was already decided upon. :) The OP was choosing between a Maho-Orient or Maho-Mullet day. I talked about Maho and the beach over being Mullet so I think he got what I was talking about but I can see how others might get confused though if they didn't read the OP's first post.

We have done Mullet/Maho twice on recent cruises. I'd suggest getting off the ship as soon as it docks and taking a cab to Mullet. There are chairs there, and a bathroom, and one beach bar/snack place. It's empty if you arrive early. Spend a few hours there. You can certainly walk to Maho. You will know how to get there because you will pass it on the way to Mullet. The walk will take about 15 - 20 minutes. And it can be hot - but it ends at a beach, right? :)

The posters saying that the big planes come in later are absolutely correct. I wouldn't bother getting to Maho before noon. The Sunset Grill at Maho (to the left if you're facing the water) caters to the airport crowd. They list all the flights for the day on a big surfboard outside, and keep a radio in the bar tuned to the airport tower. You can sit there and eat/drink, then run out onto the beach for planes, then come back in and continue eating.

The traffic back to the cruise port can be terrible. Allow a good hour. There is an endless procession of cabs from Sunset Grill back to the port, and if there should by chance not be one sitting there, they'll call one for you.

Have fun! Mullet is gorgeous, and I will never tire of watching the planes come in at Maho!

We have done Mullet/Maho twice on recent cruises. I'd suggest getting off the ship as soon as it docks and taking a cab to Mullet. There are chairs there, and a bathroom, and one beach bar/snack place. It's empty if you arrive early. Spend a few hours there. You can certainly walk to Maho. You will know how to get there because you will pass it on the way to Mullet. The walk will take about 15 - 20 minutes. And it can be hot - but it ends at a beach, right? :)

The posters saying that the big planes come in later are absolutely correct. I wouldn't bother getting to Maho before noon. The Sunset Grill at Maho (to the left if you're facing the water) caters to the airport crowd. They list all the flights for the day on a big surfboard outside, and keep a radio in the bar tuned to the airport tower. You can sit there and eat/drink, then run out onto the beach for planes, then come back in and continue eating.

The traffic back to the cruise port can be terrible. Allow a good hour. There is an endless procession of cabs from Sunset Grill back to the port, and if there should by chance not be one sitting there, they'll call one for you.

Have fun! Mullet is gorgeous, and I will never tire of watching the planes come in at Maho!

Great info. I will add that between the beginning of March and the beginning of November the big KLM from Amsterdam is scheduled around 11 a.m..