Problems at Princess Cays???

Island Dog

I wonder why Princess would be skipping Princess Cay? Anyone???

I just got off the Royal.

As mentioned, the sept 30 port call at Princess Cay was due to hurricane Joaquin. Ditto Oct 2. The ship, under Capt. Oliver, had to bypass due to high winds and seas. Then on Oct 20 we skipped it again!! More high winds and 13 ft swells. Capt Sagani pulled as close to the anchorage as possible to see if the island would provide enough calm seas to tender. It was very rough. I cannot imagine loading tenders under those conditions. Just way to dangerous for pax and crew. So we had another sea day, cruising very slowly back to Ft Lauderdale.

Currently on Emerald Princess and we called at Princess Cays on Sunday. No damage at all. We spoke with one of the guys who works there and he confirmed that Joquin missed them. Betty

I was also on this sailing. We made our stop and no hurricane damage.

The design of the cove area where the tendors dock makes it subjective to problems with wave height. The entrance to the dock area is rather narrow and shallow. Any wave action and you can get the entrance low enough to ground tendors during wave minimums. That is why you often have ships skip the stop when the wind and waves are from the wrong direction, even if they do not seem bad at the ship.

Edited by RDC1