Question Regarding Early Saver and Price Protection Form

HLGW60

I have gotten price reductions several times since booking our May 2016 cruise last February. About a month ago we decided to upgrade to an Ocean Suite. We have paid in full for our cruise.

The last couple of times I have completed a price protection form I have noticed the savings are being seen as a credit under TOTAL PAYMENTS and CREDITS rather than the decrease in price showing up as onboard credit.

I thought I once read that if you had paid in full then a price reduction would show up as onboard credit. Apparently, that is not always the case. Right now I have a credit of $40 and On Board Credit of $430.

I know this is not such a big deal but just curious as to how they will handle the overpayment. Guess I will ultimately find out once I am on the cruise but wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how this works.

Edited by HLGW60

My experience with this was that I had PIF before final payment and when I got a price reduction they credited it back to my credit card. When I called about it the representative said that is what they do if you are paid before your actual final payment date. If I had received the price drop after that final payment date then it would be counted as OBC and put on the S&S account.

I don't know if this is how it works all the time but you may want to check the card you used to pay to see if you have a credit.

I have gotten price reductions several times since booking our May 2016 cruise last February. About a month ago we decided to upgrade to an Ocean Suite. We have paid in full for our cruise.

The last couple of times I have completed a price protection form I have noticed the savings are being seen as a credit under TOTAL PAYMENTS and CREDITS rather than the decrease in price showing up as onboard credit.

I thought I once read that if you had paid in full then a price reduction would show up as onboard credit. Apparently, that is not always the case. Right now I have a credit of $40 and On Board Credit of $430.

I know this is not such a big deal but just curious as to how they will handle the overpayment. Guess I will ultimately find out once I am on the cruise but wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how this works.

This is why I never pay the balance until final payment date - the money should be in your hands, not in Carnival's hands.

My experience with this was that I had PIF before final payment and when I got a price reduction they credited it back to my credit card. When I called about it the representative said that is what they do if you are paid before your actual final payment date. If I had received the price drop after that final payment date then it would be counted as OBC and put on the S&S account.

I don't know if this is how it works all the time but you may want to check the card you used to pay to see if you have a credit.

Thanks for replying. No credit on my CC yet but I will keep checking. [emoji3]

This is why I never pay the balance until final payment date - the money should be in your hands, not in Carnival's hands.

That's certainly one way of looking at it but I had a good reason for paying it off. My Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is currently running a special where I get 3 points for every dollar spent on TRAVEL related expenses. I needed those points to make a reservation for our pre and post cruise stays in Barcelona and Athens ......which are now made with points instead of cash which is a savings for me.

HLGW60 - Can you post again if/when you see a credit come through on your credit card? I booked Early Saver for a cruise next July and was thinking of paying it off when I get a bonus in a few months, but maybe I should leave a balance until the final payment is due...

Edited by ohiokate

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking to see if you've seen a credit yet.

No.....but I am $40 in the black in payments received. I really wouldn't use my experience as a guideline. We had originally only booked an interior back in Jan/Feb with several price drops and onboard credits. It was only when we upgraded to an Ocean Suite in October with 2 subsequent drops that this occurred as a cash credit rather than onboard credit. Since it is only $40.......hubby doesn't want to call Carnival yet again as he feels confident we will use the cash credit and all will work out to our satisfaction.