?'s for anyone just off the Oosterdam

themerle

if you have just returned from cruising the southern Caribbean on othe Oosterdam, I have a few questions. When were the Gala nights? Did you pre-book the thermal spa or did you have to wait till you boarded? What was the cost for the ten days? What was the cost for a couple? Was there an embarkation lunch for Mariners? Time, if there was? Was there a Blues Club? Thank you for any answers!

Just got off the Oosterdam today:( The gala nights where 2nd night after Turks and second to the last night at sea. We booked the spa right after we boarded and it was $249.00 for a couple for 10 days. Not sure if there was a boarding Mariners lunch, but did receive an invite for a Mariners brunch during the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!! We sure did!!

if you have just returned from cruising the southern Caribbean on othe Oosterdam, I have a few questions. When were the Gala nights? Did you pre-book the thermal spa or did you have to wait till you boarded? What was the cost for the ten days? What was the cost for a couple? Was there an embarkation lunch for Mariners? Time, if there was? Was there a Blues Club? Thank you for any answers!

Yes, BB King blues club and the band was great!!

You will so enjoy it. They work off the crowd and the one night there was a couple that had an anniversary and they're family had surprised them by having band play song to them. It was so sweet. Go to as many as you can. Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just got off the Oosterdam today:( The gala nights where 2nd night after Turks and second to the last night at sea. We booked the spa right after we boarded and it was $249.00 for a couple for 10 days. Not sure if there was a boarding Mariners lunch, but did receive an invite for a Mariners brunch during the cruise.

Thanks for answering!

Was there an embarkation lunch for Mariners? Time, if there was? Was there a Blues Club? Thank you for any answers!

I think the dining room was open for all on embarkation day, not just Mariners. We skipped it though because the menu didn't look good at all.

They did a champagne reception in the Crows Nest and Northern Lights, depending on Star level.

As for BB King, you're going to hear a bit of a different opinion from me. Yes, they were an excellent band but truth be told, they're just a cover band. I'd hardly call it Blues. Also, they spent more time applauding and introducing themselves than they did singing. I gotta say though...the female singer nailed Witney Houston. I'd say she was too good to be singing on a cruise ship. Just my opinion, of course.

Just off Oosterdam, only Neptune/Pinnacle suites get the shopping bag. Heard lots of complaints from passengers that did get one because of room booked.

Only stayed in Neptune suites, don't know if this is something new.

Sandipalms

What shopping bag are you talking about? The blue logo bag? If so, I got one in my room and I was in a standard veranda room.

I think the dining room was open for all on embarkation day, not just Mariners. We skipped it though because the menu didn't look good at all.

They did a champagne reception in the Crows Nest and Northern Lights, depending on Star level.

As for BB King, you're going to hear a bit of a different opinion from me. Yes, they were an excellent band but truth be told, they're just a cover band. I'd hardly call it Blues. Also, they spent more time applauding and introducing themselves than they did singing. I gotta say though...the female singer nailed Witney Houston. I'd say she was too good to be singing on a cruise ship. Just my opinion, of course.

How did they "divide" the stars between the two Mariner reception areas? And what time was the reception?

How loud was BB King? Last winter on Westerdam, they were so loud that the hallway outside was too loud for my comfort. And if they have BB King, that means no Neptunes?

Was this the 10-day seafarer? What time did you leave Grand Turk?

Hi, sounds like you had a GREAT time on the Oosterdam! (who wouldn't?)

I am booked on the Nov 16th Oosterdam trip and 20 days away, the excitement is building.

Can you elaborate on the $249 Spa Package you purchased on the first day?

Exactly what does that include? I checked the HAL Brochure and it didn't really say. THANKS in advance for your reply!

How did they "divide" the stars between the two Mariner reception areas? And what time was the reception?

How loud was BB King? Last winter on Westerdam, they were so loud that the hallway outside was too loud for my comfort. And if they have BB King, that means no Neptunes?

1-2 Stars were in Northern Lights and 3+ Stars were in Crows Nest. For the life of me, I can't remember what time they did it, but it was just prior to sailaway.

They were pretty loud. I could hear them from the atrium area. As for Neptunes, I have no idea who they are....so I guess that means they weren't on board. One thing about BB King though.....something I used to love about HAL cruises was the guitarist/accoustic singer in the Crows Nest in the evenings. There wasn't one on Oosterdam. We were told they did away with the accoustic player due to the cost of having the BB King venue.

Hi, sounds like you had a GREAT time on the Oosterdam! (who wouldn't?)

I am booked on the Nov 16th Oosterdam trip and 20 days away, the excitement is building.

Can you elaborate on the $249 Spa Package you purchased on the first day?

Exactly what does that include? I checked the HAL Brochure and it didn't really say. THANKS in advance for your reply!

I think the Spa package for $249 being referred to is the Hydro Pool and Thermal beds access. That price is about the norm as I recall.

What you get is unlimited access to the Hydro pool (a small swimming pool sized jetted pool, much like a hot tub but not as hot) and the Thermal beds area - including about 6 thermal beds that are in the shape of a lounge chair but have tiles on them plus a couple of special showers and saunas.

We totally agree about BB King! They are way too loud and as a result of 8 ppl in this Group they did away with The Neptunes and the Guitar Player. We would pop into the Queens Lounge to see them and stay but a few minutes because of how loud they are and many must feel the same way as there was never that many people in there listening to them.

We just got off of Eurodam and sailed Nieuw Amsterdam in April and The Band replaced Hal Cats and the Neptunes. The Band played in Ocean Bar and although good Musicians there is no Singer and they just stare at their Ipads reading the Music. They are BORING! Also, no Guitar Player in Crow's Nest anymore and as OP mentioned it was due to BB King. It makes us want to shy away from booking Vista and Signature Class Ships unless they improve the Lounge Music!

IMO, they could replace them with a good 4-piece Filipino Band and bring back The Neptunes and the Guitar Player for the money they are spending on BB King.

We totally agree about BB King! They are way too loud and as a result of 8 ppl in this Group they did away with The Neptunes and the Guitar Player. We would pop into the Queens Lounge to see them and stay but a few minutes because of how loud they are and many must feel the same way as there was never that many people in there listening to them.

We just got off of Eurodam and sailed Nieuw Amsterdam in April and The Band replaced Hal Cats and the Neptunes. The Band played in Ocean Bar and although good Musicians there is no Singer and they just stare at their Ipads reading the Music. They are BORING! Also, no Guitar Player in Crow's Nest anymore and as OP mentioned it was due to BB King. It makes us want to shy away from booking Vista and Signature Class Ships unless they improve the Lounge Music!

IMO, they could replace them with a good 4-piece Filipino Band and bring back The Neptunes and the Guitar Player for the money they are spending on BB King.

I really enjoyed the Neptunes a couple years ago on Maasdam. This time on Veendam, they were good musicians, but they played mostly dance music. On Maasdam, they'd played jazz, with just one set designated for ballroom dancing, which I think they were told they had to do. One funny thing about the Neptunes on Veendam, they did a salute to Cole Porter. In her narrative, the keyboard player/singer said he went to Harvard. NOOOO, he went to Yale! If my Yale-grad friend had been with us, it could have been ugly!!!!

I wonder what sort of feedback HAL is getting about BB King. For all that it's a connection to a "name," I don't notice any ads promoting them.

Hi again! Thanks for the quick reply. The Spa Retreat sounds so delicious! I just called HAL Ships Services and signed me and my travel companion up for it. Cost was $499 for two of us for the 11 days. Now, my roommate said, if one could just order Room Service to deliver to the Spa, we can call it Nirvana!! (The feeling, not the grunge group!)

Was that $249 per person or per couple? I'm asking because of the post where someone paid $499 for two people for 11 days, booking in advance. Is there an embarkation day special price?

Was that $249 per person or per couple? I'm asking because of the post where someone paid $499 for two people for 11 days, booking in advance. Is there an embarkation day special price?

Most of the time the price is less if booked onboard. The price will vary depending on length of cruise and class of ship (since the Hydro pool is MUCH smaller on the R and S class ships).

Most of the time the price is less if booked onboard. The price will vary depending on length of cruise and class of ship (since the Hydro pool is MUCH smaller on the R and S class ships).

Cheaper to book on board. They will refund you the difference on board if you booked on line at the higher price.

Cheaper to book on board. They will refund you the difference on board if you booked on line at the higher price.

So glad I read the follow up on the Thermal Spa Package that I paid $499 for two people. I will make sure I get to the Spa on the first day to get the reduced price. Thank the poster who clarified this. I just love cruising and all the helpful HAL posters.

Keep Calm and Cruise On -- Deb