Splendor or Glory: Ocho Rios vs. Belize/Mahogany Bay

Caraec

Thank you for those of you who responded to my first question on the CC boards. I really appreciate your help. I think I am going with Western Caribbean from Miami, and my choices are between the Splendor (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios) and the Glory (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay). Splendor has only 3 ports vs. 4, but what about the quality of the ports themselves? Would you choose Ocho Rios over both Belize and Mahogany Bay? I think that's what it's coming down to for us, as the 6 nights vs. 7 nights and ship vs. ship are Ok with us either way.

We really love the Belize and Mahogany Bay ports.

In Belize we have done both of the Mayan ruin excursions and had an awesome time. There is also a ferry you can take to an island which our friends did on their own and had a wonderful time on the beach.

In Mahogany Bay we always go to the west end of the island to a beach that is simply amazing. I think its called West Bay beach. Any taxi will take you there. There is snorkeling right off the beach but we always scuba dive with Bananarama. Lots of bars for food and drinks and you can rent a chair if you want one.

On an earlier cruise on Carnival Freedom we visited Ocho Rios and were not impressed. DW decided to make it a ship day, relaxed on the Serenity deck, and never got off. I did leave but did not wander far from the pier. The only excursion that might have been interesting was Dunns River Falls, but we didn't really want to do that.

Later this year we will be visiting Mahogany Bay and Belize for the first time. So I can't say for sure if these ports are better, but it wouldn't take much to be an improvement over Ocho Rios. We are looking forward to visiting some Mayan ruins in Belize. We're still deciding what to do in Mahogany Bay. At any rate, the cruise will be an escape from early winter.

Have fun no matter what you decide!:)

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for beaches, parties, no excursion needed, and that "hey guys I'm in Jamaica" feel, then do Splendor. If you're looking for the history, natural sights, and underwater exploration, then do Glory. Personally, I would do Glory. She has 2.0 (Love Splendor with my whole heart but I really missed my Blue Iguana for breakfast last cruise!), it's an extra day, plus Mahogany Bay and Belize can be really amazing ports if you take the time to get an excursion. But if time or money is short, Splendor is also a good choice. Experience though, I'd choose Glory.

Make sure you report back and let us know what you chose! :D

Our favorite port was Ocho Rios, the second and third were Belize and Roatan. Interesting is that Jamaica and Belize receive lots of negative reviews. I will say Belize is probably the worst port to just walk around. But if you get a tour guide and go somewhere, Belize has a huge variety of stuff that you won't find in other places. In fact, all of these places were just excellent because we had a local tour guide. Look at the port of call boards for recommendations for tour guides and enjoy whichever itinerary.

I would go with Glory and Belize. 1st Glory has all the 2.0 upgrades such as guys and blue iguana cantina. 2d we love Belize!!! I know some don't, but we are snorkelers. The reef is gorgeous. Plus we love ruins and the ruins there are great. We're even thinking about a land vacation there. We love Caye Caulker!

I would do whichever cruise has more port stops! Honestly every port has plusses and minuses. So I would prefer to have more stops regardless.

My wife and I did the Splendor last year (2014) and the reason we chose that cruise is because we visited four ports while some of the other cruises were just three ports.

Grand Cayman was my favorite port because we could walk to an incredibly beautiful beach with excellent swimming and snorkeling and didn't pay a dime to anyone. But it sounds like the itineraries have changed.