Opening safe while in room.

rt1092

Yes, you can throw a bolt like a hotel room.

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I just now saw these posts.

There have been a few cases of crew members entering and sexually assaulting passengers.

As for the bolt, I throw it but some crew members can open the door with that thrown.

I know there is a way to bypass the bolt, just like in a hotel room. The fact is, there is a bolt, just like a hotel.

I was not aware there was a way to bypass the bolts... Thanks for the information. I feel less safe but more knowledgeable than before. (wry grin)

I was not aware there was a way to bypass the bolts... Thanks for the information. I feel less safe but more knowledgeable than before. (wry grin)

There would have to be for simple safety reasons.

Imagine if you were in the cabin alone and had a medical issue (let's say heart attack just as example). You had locked the door and thrown the bolt and are in bed when the trouble starts. You are able to call for medical assistance, but you lose consciousness before help arrives. Because there are a limited number of people who have access to the override "keys" help is able to get to you and save your life. Now imagine if there was no such override "key" - medical's ability to get to you would be significantly hampered as they would have to use other, more time-consuming ways to get into the cabin, possibly costing life-saving minutes.

That said, the number of people who have the ability to do so is very limited.

Do things happen? Of course - any time you are dealing with people, things CAN happen. But do they happen OFTEN? No. I'd rather them have the ability in case of an emergency and live with the knowledge that something amiss COULD happen than them not have a way of access in case of emergency.

Just want to pass along something I learned on Cruise Critic a while back. After the recent fires aboard some of the ships.

When you come back to your stateroom's for the night/evening. Be sure to open your safe. If there is an emergency you don't want to be pushing buttons to open your safe.

Good idea except.:eek: I would probably forget to lock it in the morning!

There would have to be for simple safety reasons.

Imagine if you were in the cabin alone and had a medical issue (let's say heart attack just as example). You had locked the door and thrown the bolt and are in bed when the trouble starts. You are able to call for medical assistance, but you lose consciousness before help arrives. Because there are a limited number of people who have access to the override "keys" help is able to get to you and save your life. Now imagine if there was no such override "key" - medical's ability to get to you would be significantly hampered as they would have to use other, more time-consuming ways to get into the cabin, possibly costing life-saving minutes.

That said, the number of people who have the ability to do so is very limited.

Do things happen? Of course - any time you are dealing with people, things CAN happen. But do they happen OFTEN? No. I'd rather them have the ability in case of an emergency and live with the knowledge that something amiss COULD happen than them not have a way of access in case of emergency.

An officer (security) has to come with a manual key to open the bolted door.

The room stewards don't have this key.

*I* fully understand that. I was responding to someone who seemed upset to know that anyone had the master keys and explaining WHY it is a good idea that someone does.

That said, there HAVE been cases where master keys HAVE fallen into the wrong hands. I'm still glad that they have them though as the odds of them falling into the wrong hands is very small.

Whatever we keep in the safe, I have it all contained in one zip lock bag so nothing falls out or gets left behind. I found out that some of my jewelry sometimes escaped my jewelry holder and got separated. Now everything in one bag to grab in a hurry, including PP and extra cash.

That's a great idea! I'm always hunting and pecking around in that dark safe trying to find things. I will be doing that on future cruises as well!

How do you know that? Someone posted a complaint a couple of years ago that their room steward opened their bolted door. I don't recall which cruise line that was on.

Whatever we keep in the safe, I have it all contained in one zip lock bag so nothing falls out or gets left behind. I found out that some of my jewelry sometimes escaped my jewelry holder and got separated. Now everything in one bag to grab in a hurry, including PP and extra cash.

Love the idea of a zip lock bag and will for sure use that in May on our next cruise, Thank You! But I also have wonderful expensive jewelry from the past 43 years with my DH, and I leave that at home in the safe and bring out the costume jewelry for the cruise! All those lights on board make me sparkle just fine, without any worries! And no questions from customs on the way out! ;)