Royal Caribbean Air

luvsviola

I'm sure you can do much better pricewise with either AirTran or ATA. Plus you can pick your own flights that are convenient to you. Not sure about ATA but AirTran publishes their schedule about 6 months out and have sales every 2 or 3 weeks. The savings will probably be enough to take care of hotel and other expenses to fly down a day early.

We booked our air travel through RCCL. Does anyone know which airline they typically use? Do they just pick the cheapest one? We are flying out of Indianapolis, if it matters.

Thanks!

Kristen

It will be with whatever carrier that they have negotiated seats with - probably USAIR and possibly Delta. Generally they get you out first thing in the morning. The only thing about cruiseline air on the return is sometimes you get a late afternoon flight back which either leaves you hanging around the airport or you could do an excursion after the cruise and then they'll take you back to the airport.

I have done air both with the cruisline and without. If I'm doing air separately, I always try to fly out a day ahead of time. This time we are doing air through RCCL to San Juan and chose to customize it (pay the $50 fee) in order to choose a more convenient schedule. I just find it's less hassle if they do it all.

But I'm sure there are differing opinions out there......Either way, have a great trip!

Actually, surprisingly, RCCL was cheaper than I could find. They charged $190 for TWO ($95 a person). The cheapest I could find Dec. 18-Dec. 23 to Miami from IND was $225 each. I have tried very hard to replicate their prices and I can't, unfortunately. I question their fares slightly, but am assuming that since I made the final payment, they cannot raise them. For two-three hundred cheaper, I'll fly the 6:00 am flight any day! We did it last weekend to make a 4:00 wedding in NC and it wasn't so bad.

Can they raise the airfare after the final payment is made?

Kristen

Wow what a great price for airfare. And don't forget the RCI price includes the transfers so you've also saved that money too.

RCI generally has contracts with most of the legacy carriers. They've put me on Delta and American in the past. I've met others that flew NW, other USAir, and still others United. I can tell you that you won't be booked on Southwest, ATA, Jet Blue, Independence, or basically any low cost carrier. When they go to book flights, they'll put you on whatever airline has seats available at the contract rates that will get you there on time.

You won't know until you get your docs what airline or what flights you have.

Yeah, you'll probably be on one of those 5:45 - 6:15 AM flights out of Indy ... though at least you won't have to worry too much about lines at security ... :)

My last flight was USAir to connect in Charlotte and it was very empty and surreal.

Generally, the cruiseline will stick you with some pretty nasty flight times, but for the money you've saved, it's probably worth it.

Archived