Qm2 queens grill #11151 overhang

4ever_cruisin

Hi, was wanting opinions of those who have stayed in the Queens Grill Q5 Category cabin 11151 on deck 11 or one close by re the overhang I have read about from deck 12. Want to know if balcony is in total shade all day and how people found it to be. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, have traveled on QM2 before but never on Queens Grill - will we find much difference from when we traveled in a Princess Grill? Thanks in advance.

Hi, was wanting opinions of those who have stayed in the Queens Grill Q5 Category cabin 11151 on deck 11 or one close by re the overhang I have read about from deck 12. Want to know if balcony is in total shade all day and how people found it to be. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, have traveled on QM2 before but never on Queens Grill - will we find much difference from when we traveled in a Princess Grill? Thanks in advance.
I've not had a QG Deck 11 cabin, but have had a Britannia grade Deck 11 one some years back.

The overhang meant that, except at the beginning or end of the day, direct sun never reached the balcony.

For some this would be an advantage as certain people like to sit out of direct sunlight and in the shade when the sun is fierce.

And if someone wished to sunbathe directly in the sun, then the Deck 11 "Grills only" deck is very handy, only feet away (this deck is immediately aft of the four Deck 11 QG cabins).

You'd have the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Personally, it would not worry me for one minute having the balcony in the shade, there is so much open deck space to enjoy, being able to retreat to a shaded balcony when the sun was too strong, would be an advantage in my book.

The views from my Deck 11 cabin balcony, beneath the overhang, can been seen here:

QM2 the view from a DECK 11 BALCONY looking aft

and here:

QM2 the view from a DECK 11 BALCONY looking forward

Hope these help.

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Thank you also for your opinion - I agree 100% per cent. The photos were much appreciated, as I now understand fully what others meant by 'overhang'. I need not worry about it and am happy with our choice of suite after reading your posting and looking through your photos. As you say, we can get sun on the grills deck that is so close by and retreat to our suite if we want to enjoy the outdoors under shade in the privacy of our balcony. I also read that the overhang gives protection against wind which will also be a bonus. Thanks again for resting my mind about our choice!

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Thank you also for your opinion - I agree 100% per cent. The photos were much appreciated, as I now understand fully what others meant by 'overhang'. I need not worry about it and am happy with our choice of suite after reading your posting and looking through your photos. As you say, we can get sun on the grills deck that is so close by and retreat to our suite if we want to enjoy the outdoors under shade in the privacy of our balcony. I also read that the overhang gives protection against wind which will also be a bonus. Thanks again for resting my mind about our choice!

Thank you 4ever_crusin,

Another advantage of choosing one of the four Deck 11 QG cabins is the ease of getting to the Queens Grill Lounge and (more importantly) the Queens Grill Restaurant.

For breakfast, lunch or dinner (and pre-dinner cocktails) you step out of your cabin, the "D" lift lobby is almost in front of you, down to Deck 7 and you'll find yourself almost directly outside of both Queens Grill restaurant and lounge, so easy :) , no walking almost the entire length of the ship for either!

Have the most wonderful time.

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks Pepper! Had not even thought about the handy location of the lifts so good to know. Have always gone to the Commodore's Lounge for pre-dinner cocktails in the past. I noted you mentioned pre-dinner cocktails - are they also served in the Grills lounge? I know they serve afternoon tea in the grills lounge (which by the way we always found was of a higher quality than the afternoon tea served in Brittania) but was not aware of pre-dinner cocktails being served there? We love the view from the Commodore's lounge so wonder if there is any advantage of going to the grills lounge pre-dinner? Are drinks served with canapes perhaps??

We had 11128 on a crossing last December. The overhang was never a problem and provided some protection from rain and wind. On one very warm sunny spell, we had the perfect balance of sun and shade.

And access to the Grills Lounge for tea and after dinner drinks (very easy to stumble home :)) was also a plus.

Enjoy your trip.

ImageUploadedByForums1445701231.616069.jpg.8ab1d8c2302fd99c5eb83cc6a9bd4038.jpg

We have stayed in two of the 4 Q's Grill cabins on deck 11. They are my favorites! Huge balcony, shaded from the sun and the Q's Grill terrace is about 3 long strides away, complete with hot tub and hand served "snacks". They can range from little sandwiches, to ice cream! You can also get bar service or complimentary iced tea, etc. Unfortunately we're on the November Caribbean run and couldn't get (nor afford) our beloved deck 11 location. We're going to have to tough it out in the Q's grill "hood", on deck 9. Ah, such is life! LOL!

You'll be happy with your cabin choice!

Although I have never had # 11151, last year we met a couple who had that stateroom. As you can see from the new deck plans it is directly below the kennels. The occupants of that room were furious because the dogs did not sleep at night and kept them awake. They complained to the purser's staff every morning. No other accommodation could be found for them. They were, however, offered ear-plugs. The deck plans for that year - and I believe the plan still on the Website as "before 21 June 2016" - does not show the location of the kennels. These well-travelled people said they would never have booked that stateroom if they knew it was beneath the kennels.

If you are on a cruise as opposed to an Atlantic crossing that won't be a problem. On a crossing the two staterooms on the port side (#11128 and 11130) would be a better choice.

Edited by david,Mississauga

Hi RemPuck,

Thanks for your post. I see your suite is directly across from 11151 so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Looks like we made a good choice! It will be our third time on QM2 but first time in QG, only having experienced PG before. Would love to hear about some of the 'perks' you experienced in QG that will be new to us :)

Hi Mudhen,

Good to hear from a well seasoned QG traveller on the QM2. After reading Deck 11 QG are your favorites I will not give our cabin choice a second thought. Thank you! The close proximity to the Q Grill Terrace is what drew us to choosing it - having experienced it as a PG passenger we loved it - as you said just a few strides away: we won't need to go far to reach our favorite spot :) Sounds like we were lucky to have got it as it was the only QG left on Deck 11 at time of booking. As you say, most of them are on Deck 9 - I'm sure it won't be too tough to take on your next upcoming cruise!!!

Edited by Help@

Hi David,

My heart stopped beating when I started reading your post! Paying all that $$ only to be kept awake by barking dogs at sea : could not think of a worse nightmare!! Your poor friends - ear plugs just would not cut it! Would certainly be a deal breaker for us!

Having never done a crossing before this did not even cross our minds - Thankfully once again we are on part of the world cruise so will not effect us. We are going on Brisbane to Hong Kong in March next year. You certainly brought up a good point though and will keep it in mind if we ever do a crossing especially since I have read QM2 will be adding another 5 kennels during the dry dock in June! Sounds like even more people will suffer!!!

The QG Lounge is open pretty much all day and night. There are lovely, comfy sofas by the windows. It's a good spot to just hang out and read the paper or a book. The bar is open for afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks and after dinner drinks. Before and right after dinner, it's very lively. The Commodore Lounge has the views, but after they close the shades at night and there are no views, the QG Lounge is just as nice. There is music. The alcohol is not free. They do run a bar tab. You have to spend the onboard credit somewhere.

The Concierge's Lounge on Deck 9 has coffee and tea all day long. They will also have tea sandwiches or biscuits on a tray. If they aren't busy, it's fun to talk to the folks on the concierge's desk about the ships business. It's faster than calling your butler for hot water. I don't like to bother them when I can do it myself, they are working so hard on the rooms.

The QG Dining experience is truly customized. They really want to provide for you whatever you desire. They do it with such grace and hospitality. It's not for everyone, but if you appreciate the effort involved in providing such a product, you can't help but be amazed and pleased.

The problem with the QG dining is it's so good, you never bother with the rest of the ship. Be sure to rouse yourself for a breakfast in the dining room. It's casual and very sparsely attended. That's when you get to know the staff. They have the time to stop and chat. Lunch has a slightly more energetic vibe. Standby for dinner. They turn down the lights, change into even more formal uniforms and put on a show.

Thanks Orvil for all of that information. Will certainly make use of the QG lounge, as you say you have to spend the onboard credit somewhere, especially since I read the in-room bar is also complimentary although not sure if that includes in-room wine?? Am very much looking forward to experiencing the QG dining experience too - by the sound of it we are in for a treat 😀

Not to worry, you're gonna love it! Orvil pretty well nailed it! Also make a list of anything special you might like to have for dinner. Last year we had a list of special things (alaskan king crab, dover sole, steak tartare, etc) and it was pretty lengthy. We had every single one of 'em! Like I said, you're gonna love it!

Hi Mudhen, Nice list you had :) You are getting me really excited about experiencing QG!! So does your waiter ask for any special requests at the start of the cruise or how does it work? Can't believe how spoilt we will be if that indeed is the case! Also, did you ever entertain in your suite and if so, can the butler arrange canapes or other nibbles etc for 4 people for no extra charge - thinking it would be a lovely thing to do on the balcony on a seaday afternoon perhaps.

Hi 4ever...we had a small group to our room pre-dinner on the last formal night. Our butler arranged an assortment of canapés (the spring rolls are really tasty). We used the bar fixings (wine, gin, champagne) and the full thing was "complimentary" (included in our fare). It was a crossing so we were just in the suite but still very nice. The butler came by to drop the canapés at the time I requested but he didn't stay for the party.

In the QG dining room, almost anything goes. My husband's birthday fell mid-trip and he really wanted duck. The duck is a whole roasted duck, for 2, but I don't like duck. Not an issue - he was presented the full duck, offered as much as he wanted and I had something else. He didn't finish the duck but it wasn't an issue. I'm sure some staff had some tasty leftovers!

My favorite spot to read during the day was a sofa along the windows in the Grills Lounge. Quiet, comfortable and relaxing.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by RemPuck

Thanks RemPuck, My birthday will co-incidentally also fall within our cruise so I will put my thinking cap on for my 'favourite birthday dinner' treat - I am getting really excited reading all the great privileges that come with QG : did not know the half of it when we booked!

Small gathering in the suite sounds like fun - I will be sure to include spring rolls in my request, thanks!

Thanks to all who expressed opinions about the overhang, we have been allocated a bc cabin on deck 11 for the 28 day cruise on 5th Nov and wondered about this. After reading about the grills they sound lovely, very tempted raid the piggy bank.:)

Thank you 4ever_crusin,

Another advantage of choosing one of the four Deck 11 QG cabins is the ease of getting to the Queens Grill Lounge and (more importantly) the Queens Grill Restaurant.

For breakfast, lunch or dinner (and pre-dinner cocktails) you step out of your cabin, the "D" lift lobby is almost in front of you, down to Deck 7 and you'll find yourself almost directly outside of both Queens Grill restaurant and lounge, so easy :) , no walking almost the entire length of the ship for either!

Have the most wonderful time.

We kind of liked walking the length of the ship. With all the great food the Queens Grill had to offer, you pretty much really needed to.

Thanks to all who expressed opinions about the overhang, we have been allocated a bc cabin on deck 11 for the 28 day cruise on 5th Nov and wondered about this. After reading about the grills they sound lovely, very tempted raid the piggy bank.:)

Well worth it.

To follow on after reading your comments, when you arrive your butler will ask what you want for the bar. If you don't want liquor, you can request wine instead. That's what we did. We ended up not even opening the wine and just left it. You can also ask for champagne, if that is your preference. I understand that if you ask for Veuve Cliquot nicely, you may get it. I think I will order the champagne on the next trip with some orange juice and make mimosa's.

I could have done without the canapés in the cabin. I usually ended up leaving them. After tea sandwiches and scones with clotted cream, it was too much. Dinner was only two to three hours away.

In the QG dining room, it will indicate on one of the pages of the menu the five or six most common special request meals. I seem to remember them as Dover sole, Beef Wellington, Duck L'orange and there was another one I can't remember. Let your waiter know at breakfast or lunch so they can have it prepared. They take time to execute. The maitre'd will come by the table to confirm.

Some of the chefs have an Indian background. I took advantage and asked them to make a sampler platter of their favorite Indian dishes. It was lovely.

One of our table mates was Vietnamese. She was having a hard time with the sea state one afternoon. She requested that they prepare her a plain rice gruel with a plate of steamed vegetables. She thought that the simple food would help her queasiness. My husband, the health nut, saw the plain steamed vegetables and began to order them, too. They became fast friends with their fruit platters and steamed vegetables. The staff was very concerned that she should feel better.

If you want a special dessert, this is the time to ask, as well. The first night a couple asked for cherries jubilee with the full flambé. Not to be outdone, I asked for Bananas Foster the next night. I think they can do baked Alaska if you ask. The sky is the limit for table side dining presentation. You don't see waiters that are skilled in the art much any more. So, take advantage of it. The cheese cart is abundant with a huge wheel of Stilton.

I am already dieting for my trip in January. Thank goodness there is a promenade deck, a gym, ballroom dancing and I never take the elevator, it's all stairs. You have to take every opportunity to burn calories so you can pig out at the next meal. I've chosen formal gowns with expanding waists. Got to think ahead.

To follow on after reading your comments, when you arrive your butler will ask what you want for the bar. If you don't want liquor, you can request wine instead. That's what we did. We ended up not even opening the wine and just left it. You can also ask for champagne, if that is your preference. I understand that if you ask for Veuve Cliquot nicely, you may get it. I think I will order the champagne on the next trip with some orange juice and make mimosa's.

I could have done without the canapés in the cabin. I usually ended up leaving them. After tea sandwiches and scones with clotted cream, it was too much. Dinner was only two to three hours away.

In the QG dining room, it will indicate on one of the pages of the menu the five or six most common special request meals. I seem to remember them as Dover sole, Beef Wellington, Duck L'orange and there was another one I can't remember. Let your waiter know at breakfast or lunch so they can have it prepared. They take time to execute. The maitre'd will come by the table to confirm.

Some of the chefs have an Indian background. I took advantage and asked them to make a sampler platter of their favorite Indian dishes. It was lovely.

One of our table mates was Vietnamese. She was having a hard time with the sea state one afternoon. She requested that they prepare her a plain rice gruel with a plate of steamed vegetables. She thought that the simple food would help her queasiness. My husband, the health nut, saw the plain steamed vegetables and began to order them, too. They became fast friends with their fruit platters and steamed vegetables. The staff was very concerned that she should feel better.

If you want a special dessert, this is the time to ask, as well. The first night a couple asked for cherries jubilee with the full flambé. Not to be outdone, I asked for Bananas Foster the next night. I think they can do baked Alaska if you ask. The sky is the limit for table side dining presentation. You don't see waiters that are skilled in the art much any more. So, take advantage of it. The cheese cart is abundant with a huge wheel of Stilton.

I am already dieting for my trip in January. Thank goodness there is a promenade deck, a gym, ballroom dancing and I never take the elevator, it's all stairs. You have to take every opportunity to burn calories so you can pig out at the next meal. I've chosen formal gowns with expanding waists. Got to think ahead.

I'm so looking forward to enjoying the amenities of the Grills. Posts like yours are a wealth of information and I am so grateful to those of you who share what is possible and possible if you ask nicely :)

Wow, thank you for all of that information. Am very grateful for all the inside knowledge you and other past Queens grill passengers have passed on. Will be sure to be nice to our butler! You have me very excited and also fully aware I need to diet prior to stepping on board! Better start right now!!

I'm so looking forward to enjoying the amenities of the Grills. Posts like yours are a wealth of information and I am so grateful to those of you who share what is possible and possible if you ask nicely :)

I too am very grateful for all of the responses - it is really good to get genuine good advice from past passengers who have experienced Queens Grill. You have me very excited and also have armed me with the knowledge that I need to go on a diet before I step on board :)

Travelled in Q5 11153 last May .overhang oppressive and restrictive but also immediately below kennels which on our transatlantic was a big problem sleeping with one dog starting all the others off

Edited by tonyalgarve
Typo