Magic Dry Dock 2.0 Upgrades

Violets Mommy

We are on the March 6th sailing of the Magic. That's exciting, but I'm a little nervous. There should be a lot of new things to enjoy but I've heard of other nightmare stories of cruises right after dry dock that didn't have all the projects completed, and work going on during the cruise. Should we be nervous? Is there a possibility it would get cancelled if they couldn't finish all the upgrades (asking because I don't have insurance and thinking I might want to get it). We already received an itinerary change and also a notice that we don't leave port until 7 pm on embarkation day.

We are on the March 6th sailing of the Magic. That's exciting' date=' but I'm a little nervous. There should be a lot of new things to enjoy but I've heard of other nightmare stories of cruises right after dry dock that didn't have all the projects completed, and work going on during the cruise. Should we be nervous? Is there a possibility it would get cancelled if they couldn't finish all the upgrades (asking because I don't have insurance and thinking I might want to get it). We already received an itinerary change and also a notice that we don't leave port until 7 pm on embarkation day.[/quote']

I understand your fears...I'd be hesitant to book the cruise RIGHT after drydock. BUT, on the plus side, Guys and Blue Iguana should be open and that's some good food.:D:D

Maybe a few construction obstacles, but I'm guessing you'll have a great cruise. Beats being at work, or home cooking and cleaning, right?:D

Enjoy!

I found the following about the 2.0 upgrades.

The upgrades are from 2011 and extended through 2015.

It shows what ships will get what and for the Magic, it's listed they will get all except ( #3 and #4 ) Guy's and Blue Iguana.

I think their partnership has ended.

http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-fun-ship-refurbishment-schedule/

We are on the March 6th sailing of the Magic. That's exciting' date=' but I'm a little nervous. There should be a lot of new things to enjoy but I've heard of other nightmare stories of cruises right after dry dock that didn't have all the projects completed, and work going on during the cruise. Should we be nervous? Is there a possibility it would get cancelled if they couldn't finish all the upgrades (asking because I don't have insurance and thinking I might want to get it). We already received an itinerary change and also a notice that we don't leave port until 7 pm on embarkation day.[/quote']

We cruised the Legend right after its dry dock. There were a couple of things not quite finished but overall it wasn't a bad experience.

It shows what ships will get what and for the Magic, it's listed they will get all except ( #3 and #4 ) Guy's and Blue Iguana.

Yea but that was published back in 2011. Really hoping JH is right since his is recent, and they should be finalizing upgrades to do at 6 months out.

I doubt it will get Guy's and Blue Iguana. The last ship to get Guy's was the Freedom back in July of 2014. Ships since then have gone through the 2.0 upgrades but did not get Guy's.

The Breeze has it because it was built when they were adding them.

I think it has something to do with the contract negotiations but it's just my opinion, nothing more.

I hope I'm wrong because I LOVE Guy's burgers!

I thought the Pride got Guys and Blue Iguana in early 2015. Am I remembering wrong?

I dont buy it. How come Breeze has the deck space & magic not? they should have known beforehand ...

It's not about deck space. All of the Guy's and Blue Iguana's have gone into the current burger stations on the Lido deck.

In my previous post, I meant to say Vista not Breeze( I know Breeze has it) is getting it because it was negotiated in the original build plans.

Again, this is my opinion based on timelines and other ships in dry dock not getting Guy's and Blue Iguana.

It's not about deck space. All of the Guy's and Blue Iguana's have gone into the current burger stations on the Lido deck.

In my previous post, I meant to say Vista not Breeze( I know Breeze has it) is getting it because it was negotiated in the original build plans.

Again, this is my opinion based on timelines and other ships in dry dock not getting Guy's and Blue Iguana.

There's no one to negotiate with concerning Blue Iguana. It's a brand, like Red Frog, that Carnival made up as part of the 2.0 experience. They own it. They can put it on any ship they want.

I think the reason some of the ships didn't get Guy's or the Cantina during dry dock is because neither generate revenue. Something like Alchemy Bar does.

I would also think they are being added to Magic because she will be in competition in Port Canaveral with the Oasis of the Seas, so they are going to throw some money into her.

Well it looks like the Magic will get:

Guys burger

Blue cantina

Blue iguana tequila bar

Red frog rum bar

Pizzeria relocate

Deli relocate

Fat jimmys bar-b-que

Alchemy bar

The dry dock is only 2 weeks. Can they really do all these things in 2 weeks?

There's no one to negotiate with concerning Blue Iguana. It's a brand, like Red Frog, that Carnival made up as part of the 2.0 experience. They own it. They can put it on any ship they want.

I think the reason some of the ships didn't get Guy's or the Cantina during dry dock is because neither generate revenue. Something like Alchemy Bar does.

I would also think they are being added to Magic because she will be in competition in Port Canaveral with the Oasis of the Seas, so they are going to throw some money into her.

The current burger stations don't generate revenue either, however I would bet Guy's and Blue Iguana Cantina would be preferred overall so why not just add them to the existing space?

I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

The dry dock is only 2 weeks. Can they really do all these things in 2 weeks?

They did the Conquest in two weeks and added 8 cabins to the front of the ship above the bridge, including two captains suites.

The good thing is most of the venues are right there on Lido so they are easy to get supplies to.

I was looking at Magic's Lido Deck and looks like what John is saying makes sense. Looks like Pizzeria has to make place for Blue Iguana Cantina, and Deli has to make place for Pizzeria. Guy's Burger will replace Grille and my educated guess is that Deli will be incorporated somewhere in Lido Market Place. Beach Bar on the starboard side will become Red Frog's Rum Bar & the one on the port side Blue Iguana Tequila Bar. Lots of changes but they are all on the Lido deck.

Edited by Topo Gigio

So we are relying on a third party website to confirm Carnival upgrades to their ships? Boy I sure do love Cruise Critic.