Day sail....two operators to choose??

CRUIS4ME

Been looking into taking a snorkel/sail excursion while at St Thomas. Two companies...two different prices. Anyone have any experience with New Horizons or Rumbaba? With such a price difference, thought I would like to ask around a bit. Thanks

Been looking into taking a snorkel/sail excursion while at St Thomas. Two companies...two different prices. Anyone have any experience with New Horizons or Rumbaba? With such a price difference, thought I would like to ask around a bit. Thanks

We did the Rumbaba a few years ago and had a great day and the food was so good. Comfortable boat and the diving spots were the best.

New Horizons takes more than 6 and has a less fancy menu. New Horizons can have quite a few, but definitely not 100. It all depends on number of people who book that day. When I went there were about 15. Nice group.

We sailed with Rumbaba a few years ago and have booked with them again for March. It was by far one of the best excursions we've ever done. Here are some highlights:

• Warm banana bread and yummy Dirty Bloody Mary (their own recipe) upon boarding

• Raincoats to wear when it started to rain a little

• Snorkeling in 2 spots in Rendez-Vous Bay – saw lots of fish and 2 different kinds of rays

• Warm water, great snorkeling equipment, noodles to use when you just want to float

• We were the only 4 snorkeling in this bay – awesome for seeing fish & taking pictures!

• Fabulous appetizers & lunch on board – the best Mahi Mahi I’ve ever had grilled right on the boat plus grilled shrimp, a yummy mango cheddar dip, homemade bagel chips, etc

• All the beer we could drink plus a choice of island drinks (Rumrunners, Bushwackers, Margaritas and Dirty Bloody Marys)

• Sailing the whole time was a completely freeing, relaxing feeling – so much better than using a motor

• Only 4 people plus 2 crew were on board so we felt like we had the whole boat to ourselves

We enjoyed our day on New Horizons, we moored off Honeymoon Beach in Caneel Bay for snorkeling and then had a fantastic lunch consisting of an excellent Italian meatball dish, a green bean dish my wife got the recipe for, other salads and of course their Nooners and painkillers. They'll dingy you into the beach if the weather is good. Then moored off Great St James and returned to Sapphire. Great crew and a nice 65' sloop, we had 4 other couples with us that day. Sailing is very exhilarating and much more peaceful than motoring but tacking is required to get to your destinations.

Edited by blue_water

Rumbaba is fantastic. Did a snorkel trip with them in 2013 while vacationing in St. Thomas for a week. Booked them for our shore excursion in January when we are on our cruise. We love that it is a small amount of people (first time we had 6 in our party so it worked out great just family). This time there are 4 of us so only would be 2 others we wouldn't know but would get to know. The food, drinks, staff and everything is fantastic. Can't recommend enough.

• 2 weeks later...