Kids in hot tubs?!?!

mrobstad

So, I have read four pages of hot tub rules but don't have a true handle on this. I have a 13 and 10 year old. If we follow the rules, is there a hot tub for them to use?

Adding, to say we are on the getaway.

Do you really want your children in a public hot tub? They have to be nasty. In all my cruises I have yet to be in the pool or the hot tub. Although I try not to think about all the nasty things in the ocean :).

Is this in the same area as the large adult pool? We have only cruised Disney where anything "adult only" was in an area kids were not even allowed to walk through. Are kids allowed to walk around the adult pol (mid ship) just not swim?

They were on the Jewel. There was 2 adult only, and an adult only pool, then a family pool and 2 hot tubs by there, and then a kids only hot tub. I think the Breakaway has that adult only area that people pay extra for...

Umm, I going to sound completely wrong for this - You think a cruise line with a "Swim at your own risk" written policy on the sundeck, no life guards whatsoever and had how many publicized children drownings; CARES?!?![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Actually there are very few drownings. It is not NCL's job to supervise yru children while on a cruise. If someone chooses to bring children on any vacation they need to remember that being on vacation does not mean they don't have to be a parent still.

If someone is violating the rules then simply point it out to a crew member.

Actually there are very few drownings. It is not NCL's job to supervise yru children while on a cruise. If someone chooses to bring children on any vacation they need to remember that being on vacation does not mean they don't have to be a parent still.

If someone is violating the rules then simply point it out to a crew member.

Ghosts can't respond to you :)

My son enjoys getting in hot tubs -especially if the pool is cold. However, I tell him if he's in the hot tub, it's not a pool. He has to act like an adult when he's in there and basically just sit there. Even though I have a kid it bothers me when kids are in there splashing all around and "swimming". On that note, it surprises me when people get mad that kids are splashing and swimming in the pool. If you are going to sit by the edge of the pool, don't be too upset if you get splashed every once in a while.

I read several comments on this thread that people hate kids. I would be part of the crowd that hates the few parents that are not doing a great job watching their kids while I am around. I've never had children and have spent most of my life avoiding situations where I have to be around them. For the most part, parents are doing their best. Anyone that has ever been to church, Disney, or a cruise ship will see some examples of parents not doing their best.

Go to a dog park, any park that allows leashed dogs, or a campground. Most dog owners are doing a wonderful job with their dogs but there is always one owner that can't keep their dog on a leash, keep their dog away from me and mine, or pick-up after the pooch. (We have two little dogs)

Around me, parents seem to be doing a better job than dog owners. For now, dogs are not welcome on ships. Wait until NCL offers a "Bring your dog along for free" package. We will have dogs in the pools, hot tubs, adult quiet places, restaurants, and bars. The ship will be covered with dog poop. Threads will get started saying, why can't dog owners control their pets as well as parents control their kids. :D

Is this in the same area as the large adult pool? We have only cruised Disney where anything "adult only" was in an area kids were not even allowed to walk through. Are kids allowed to walk around the adult pol (mid ship) just not swim?

Yes, in the main (adult) pool area on Getaway I saw one hot tub labeled "adults only" and as far ad I could tell the other three could be used by anyone.

Umm, I going to sound completely wrong for this - You think a cruise line with a "Swim at your own risk" written policy on the sundeck, no life guards whatsoever and had how many publicized children drownings; CARES?!?![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Brutally honest and 100% correct.

Perfect response.

Nope Norwegian isn't Disney

No it isn't. But it does advertise itself as a family friendly cruiseline all the same.

I feel like this is a shutter shades 'deal with it' moment.

Edited by Tasm3n

Absolutely disgusted at all of the self-absorbed child haters on this site. If you hate kids so much, go to Holland America.

It's amazing to me how many people forget they were kids once too.

Agreed!

Sadly - we have also experienced this on NCL cruises......my kids (3 & 6) had nightmares after our last cruise of this nasty lady loudly barking at them as they were walking down the hall with us (quietly) after a show (before 9pm) - asking them "what the h*ll are you still doing awake" and then muttering to her husband about how the ship was infested with these nasty rugrats.

I honestly thought she was the exception to the rule and just brushed it off - but it sounds like there are others with this same aversion to children.

NCL - is a family cruise line. There are many others that are not. If you have an aversion to children - there are many other options.

Edited by jmae2002

There were so many kids in the hot tubs on the Gem a few years back they were standing wedged in. Not my idea of fun but hey I'm not a kid. We didn't let our grandson go in because it was marked adults only at least the one nearest us was that was our choice. He was only 4 so was easy to sway in another direction.That's fine I'm sure some cruises are worst than others for the amount of children if that's an issue with anybody they could try Princess. Very few children on these ships that we have seen.

Our first trip on the Gem we were in the Haven and that pool was small but so quiet morning, noon & night on our trip. However the one prior had a large number of badly behaved children according to one person on these boards. Parents nasty when this was pointed out.

Face it we are all on vacation and it's the chance you take with family oriented cruises. Hasn't stopped us from enjoying NCL and doubt that it will we can always find something to do in so many different areas of these ships.

Agreed!

Sadly - we have also experienced this on NCL cruises......my kids (3 & 6) had nightmares after our last cruise of this nasty lady loudly barking at them as they were walking down the hall with us (quietly) after a show (before 9pm) - asking them "what the h*ll are you still doing awake" and then muttering to her husband about how the ship was infested with these nasty rugrats.

And people talk about the kids being the rude misbehaving brats, eh?

I honestly thought she was the exception to the rule and just brushed it off - but it sounds like there are others with this same aversion to children.

NCL - is a family cruise line. There are many others that are not. If you have an aversion to children - there are many other options.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit worried about our upcoming cruise. We were super excited but now I worry. My daughter will be 8 at the time and is well behaved. She loves hot tubs and just sits there quietly in them. She likes the hot water.

We are staying Haven as well so that brings a whole other level of anxiety around 'entitled' others.

And as a parent, I'd have no problem telling you where to go!
I don't understand this attitude. Some areas are adults only. Would you also attempt to bring your children into the adults only pool area at Spice H20 (or the Solarium on RCCL ships)? Are you going to attempt to bring them into the adults only thermal suite in the spa? And are you going to tell the NCL staff "where to go" when they tell you your children aren't allowed?

I have two children myself, ages 9 and 7. I can perfectly understand why people wouldn't want children in a hot tub that is marked "adults only". I don't think it's a matter of people who don't want your kids in the hot tub being a child hater. I think it's just that NCL recognises that some people might want an escape from children sometimes and want to retreat to an adults-only area. Some of the people who want the escape likely have children themselves.

Sometimes we just need a break from our children. We put the kids in the kids club for two hours and love going to the adults-only pool area and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We just got off the Getaway. The issue is that the hot tubs are ADULT ONLY. They have the sign posted and are at the adult pool. The family pool and slide area does not have a hot tub.

But people do not care. There is no way you could tell them to go away because they were packed with kids every time I looked. NCL does not enforce the sign whatsoever. I can see why this would perturb people wanting to be in an adult only area.

I traveled just myself and my 10 year old. We did not use the adult pool or hot tubs. But I saw it all and thought it was wrong it wasn't enforced. They should at least take the adult only signs off so people will know what to expect.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit worried about our upcoming cruise. We were super excited but now I worry. My daughter will be 8 at the time and is well behaved. She loves hot tubs and just sits there quietly in them. She likes the hot water.

We are staying Haven as well so that brings a whole other level of anxiety around 'entitled' others.

Nothing to worry about, as long as your daughter doesn't go into any hot tubs that say adults only.

I just don't understand (not directed at the poster I quoted), why folks just don't abide by the rules. Just as adults don't want children in an adults only hot tub, pool or area, I'm sure parents would not want adults to all of a sudden start coming into the children's areas and sitting in the splash academy or kiddie pool. Think about it!

We just got off the Getaway. The issue is that the hot tubs are ADULT ONLY. They have the sign posted and are at the adult pool. The family pool and slide area does not have a hot tub.

But people do not care. There is no way you could tell them to go away because they were packed with kids every time I looked. NCL does not enforce the sign whatsoever. I can see why this would perturb people wanting to be in an adult only area.

I traveled just myself and my 10 year old. We did not use the adult pool or hot tubs. But I saw it all and thought it was wrong it wasn't enforced. They should at least take the adult only signs off so people will know what to expect.

If there are children in an adult area and staff won't ask them to leave, one should write a note to the Hotel Director asking why the rules are not being enforced.

DONT RESPOND... Rsullivan is a shill.

He/she will sue you if you post unfounded info.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Been around here quite a while and never been called a shill! That's new!! Thanks. I was just asking where all of these drownings were? Still no answer. Kids are welcome anywhere on the ship that does not say adults only. It's easy.

It is amazing to me that there are people who think that rules do not apply to them or their kids.

I never said once that my child would go in an adult only hot tub. The complaint seemed to be children IN GENERAL in the hot tubs as if they were adult only.

I agree. If something is marked adult only, children should not be there.

That said, if it's not, children can absolutely enjoy the amenity. A hot tub by virtue of its existence is not restricted to adult use only.

There was only one hot tub in the main pool area labeled "Adults only". The other three hot tubs anyone could go in. I very carefully looked for signs on each and only saw the sign on one. The main pool itself, however, is adults only.

I never said once that my child would go in an adult only hot tub. The complaint seemed to be children IN GENERAL in the hot tubs as if they were adult only.

I agree. If something is marked adult only, children should not be there.

That said, if it's not, children can absolutely enjoy the amenity. A hot tub by virtue of its existence is not restricted to adult use only.

And I didn't say you said that. The complaint was children in adults only areas. Further that some people would "tell others where to go" if those "others" asked their kids to leave the adults only area. A huge portion of the issues on cruise ships come from people thinking that rules apply to everyone else but them (reserving chairs beyond the one hour limit, smoking in non-smoking areas such as balconies, allow their kids to be in the adults only area, etc).

the difference is if i were in a hot tub labeled adults only when i was a kid my mom, instead of yelling at security for telling me to get out, would instead, beat my butt in front of everyone who could see for not following the rules. it's called learning things the hard way and i wish more parents these days were like my mom.

Edited by Computer Nerd