Glacier comparison

KoniBear

Hi Everyone,

Just booked an Alaskan cruise on CEL that visits Tracy Arm Fjord.

My question to those that have experienced Alaska is there a big difference between viewing Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Glacier? If so could you please elaborate why one is better than the other.

I received some great insight &I feedback pertaining to my previous cruise and would value some insight into Alaska.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

My question to those that have experienced Alaska is there a big difference between viewing Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Glacier? If so could you please elaborate why one is better than the other.

I received some great insight &I feedback pertaining to my previous cruise and would value some insight into Alaska.

Thanks!

Of those I only went to Glacier Bay, which has a variety of 4/5 glaciers, a prolonged stop bedside one of them and the benefit on on-ship park rangers who answer your questions and provide a "commentary" throughout the day. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

Glacier Bay is a National Park. It is rarely missed. It is a gorgeous day of sailing all day and requires a permit to go by the Park Service. Only 2 ships can get a permit per day. National Park rangers come onboard and narrate all day. You see many glaciers that day with the grand finale at the end.

Hubbard Glacier is one major glacier and calves more often than the rest.

Tracy Arm is a Fiord with twist and curves and if you make it through those (often blocked by ice), there are 2 glaciers at the end. Due to the difficulty in making it through the twists and turns, many ships don't make it. Some will go to Endicott Arm instead. I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and missed it all 4x. Twice have gone to Endicott Arm. On this, it is best to book a small boat excursion to get closer but it is still possible to miss this.

---

My ranking:

1. Glacier Bay (not missed)

2. Hubbard Glacier (can be missed)

3. Tracy Arm (often missed)

If it was my first cruise (and possibly only cruise) to Alaska, I would go to Glacier Bay. On my cruise to Alaska, we were scheduled to go to Hubbard and got within 9 miles of it (barely could see it). It was a huge disappointment.

Some itineraries offer 2 glacier days (maybe College Fiords in there). That would be my choice. First choice would be a combination of Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

There is no best, ALL these areas are well "worth" visiting. you are asking this question, after you have booked a cruise? Are you going to change your booking?

Coral, gives a very good description. I will add, in my opinion, it is "necessary" with a Tracy Arm itinerary- IF you have any priority to see a glacier- to book the add on ship excursion to Tracy Arm. Grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. Cruise ships, do not get any view of the North Sawyer glacier, and IF they get up to Sawyer Island, few go much past this area- where your view is distance and partial. A rough average is 25% of the cruise ships.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

This question is asked several times a season. It's like someone asking which is better, Apple Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie or Pumpkin Pie. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Budget Queen gave the best answer, they're all good just different. Our society is hung up with "the best" without consideration of individual preferences.

And for those who can't decide.... look for a Glacier Bay itinery ships and then see if it offers a small ship mid-cruise excursion that takes you into Tracy Arm. HAL and Princess offer this.

Juneau offers private tours that also take you to Tracy Arm return, however this option takes the entire day as it robs you of all your Juneau activities (Mendenhall? Whale watches? Glacier Gardens?). Juneau return excursions retraces 50 miles of ocean the cruise ship drives through. Thus mid-cruise departures are preferred.

Edited by xlxo

I'm close in my opinionw with both BQ and Coral.

Glacier Bay.

Best for first timers as it is an all day experience with several glaciers visible and is very rarely missed. Can be spectacular on the right day, most consistent viewing chances

Hubbard.

To me the most impressive overall Glacier and by far the biggest. If can be fairly active but your experience can vary greatly by how close the ship gets. I've been within 1/2 mile but my last three trips we were about 14 miles out, then 8-9 miles and then this year fogged out and skipped entirely. You take your chances here

Tracy Arm

In roughly 10 trips by cruise ship have never gotten closer than the island at the channel split which is miles away and only offers a glimpse of the glacier. That said I've done the Adventure Bound tour from Juneau 5-6 times (similar to the add on from the cruise ship) and if you get close I think the South Sawyer is my top choice. It is the bluest color and by far the most active I've visited. I do this every chance I get.

College Fjord

Used to be one of my top favorites but the glaciers have receded over the years and I haven't been closer than 9-10 miles in 10+years. Still nice to visit but for me no longer a top choice.

There are many more you can visit on the small boat trips out of either Seward or Whittier, I'll defer to BQ for her expert opinions here

Is there a big difference? Yes, there is. Which one is better? None is better than the other. I like the pie analogy stated above, and I agree with the descriptions above. I wanted to add that for me a small boat tour will always beat out a view from the cruise ship. The small boat can get you in closer. For that reason, I think you did well to book a trip that goes to Tracy Arm. Now you just need to be sure to book the small boat tour.

And for those who can't decide.... look for a Glacier Bay itinery ships and then see if it offers a small ship mid-cruise excursion that takes you into Tracy Arm. HAL and Princess offer this.

This looks awesome!!! Why are the only HAL ships that offer this the 7 day cruises? It doesn't exist for mine.

As mentioned in another thread.... I think your trip has time for a full day in Tracy Arm.

I believe the shorter 7 day trip is trying to do a compressed itinery featuring Glacier Bay... the Tracy Arm small boat is for those who want to do extra, while giving a partial day in Juneau.

This looks awesome!!! Why are the only HAL ships that offer this the 7 day cruises? It doesn't exist for mine.

If you are doing a cruise tour - you are doing a Princess one way. They have 2 glacier days anyway. And depending on your direction, if you are doing a Northbound, you can do AdventureBound out of Juneau to Tracy Arm. Though it takes up all day.

Edited by Coral

On our first Alaska cruise, through Princess, we visited Glacier Bay and College Fjord, which provided spectacular glacier views. Our last Alaska cruise was with Celebrity, which went to Tracy Arm. I had read that most ships don't make it very far, due to ice. We cruised in late Aug. and were able to make it very close to the glacier. It was gorgeous. If you are going late in the season, you probably have a better chance making it closer to the glacier in Tracy Arm. If not, you will probably have a better chance of viewing it on one of the smaller boats.

On our first Alaska cruise, through Princess, we visited Glacier Bay and College Fjord, which provided spectacular glacier views. Our last Alaska cruise was with Celebrity, which went to Tracy Arm. I had read that most ships don't make it very far, due to ice. We cruised in late Aug. and were able to make it very close to the glacier. It was gorgeous. If you are going late in the season, you probably have a better chance making it closer to the glacier in Tracy Arm. If not, you will probably have a better chance of viewing it on one of the smaller boats.

Your speculation isn't accurate. some cruise lines simply do not sail past Sawyer Island and have tighter time frames. They don't get any further in August. Disney routinely gets closer, a high percentage of the time, Carnival and NCL rarely do. It depends on the capt.

Your speculation isn't accurate. some cruise lines simply do not sail past Sawyer Island and have tighter time frames. They don't get any further in August. Disney routinely gets closer, a high percentage of the time, Carnival and NCL rarely do. It depends on the capt.

Well, thanks for so politely pointing out that my speculation isn't accurate. I was just basing it on information that I read hear from other cruisers before I went to Tracy Arm. Many stated that they weren't able to get close to the glacier due to ice. Whether they were right or wrong, I have no idea. Just sharing what I read on here and my own experience.

I went in mid to late August this year on Princess. I was glad I listened to the advice here to book the small boat excursion. The ship did not make it very close to the glacier. I heard from numerous people who stayed on the cruise ship that they were disappointed. That small boat excursion was one of the best excursions I took in the 2x I've been to Alaska. I'd rank it right up there with dog sledding on a glacier and seeing Denali. The icebergs coming off the glacier were a marvelous shade of blue. We learned this is because they are new. As the icebergs age they lose the deep blue color. We got very close in the small boat. Plus I fulfilled my dream of seeing mountain goats. Those who stayed on the cruise ship missed out.

I went in mid to late August this year on Princess. I was glad I listened to the advice here to book the small boat excursion. The ship did not make it very close to the glacier. I heard from numerous people who stayed on the cruise ship that they were disappointed. That small boat excursion was one of the best excursions I took in the 2x I've been to Alaska. I'd rank it right up there with dog sledding on a glacier and seeing Denali. The icebergs coming off the glacier were a marvelous shade of blue. We learned this is because they are new. As the icebergs age they lose the deep blue color. We got very close in the small boat. Plus I fulfilled my dream of seeing mountain goats. Those who stayed on the cruise ship missed out.

I can't book what doesn't exist.

I'm sorry but whoever told you the blue ice is new new was give you a line. The simple answer is blue ice is due to compression of snow. As it compresses, air is expelled leave the ice blue amount many possible hues. Below is the wikipedia definition:

A blue iceberg is visible after the ice from above the water melts, causing the smooth portion of ice from below the water to overturn. The rare blue ice is formed from the compression of pure snow, which then develops into glacial ice. This can be seen around the moraine of Columbia Glacier near Valdez.

Icebergs may also appear blue due to light refraction and age. Older icebergs reveal vivid hues of green and blue, resulting from a high concentration of color, microorganisms, and compacted ice.[5] One of the better known blue icebergs rests in the waters off Sermilik fjord near Greenland. It is described as an electric blue iceberg and is known to locals as "blue diamond".[6]