Where to start?

Mirrasi

I am looking to do an Alaskan cruise next year and just starting to research. Someone once told me to book a smaller vessel to get in closer to things. But Ive always had good advice here.

It's just me and a 10 year old. My son is introverted and prefers quiet over noisy crowds. He doesn't like the kids clubs. The size of the ship doesn't matter. Normally he just likes to swim on the ship so this will be quite different. We actually preferred the NCL Getaway over Disney. Even though the ship was larger, it was less noisy. I am not loyal to any specific brand and this time money is an issue. We just prefer relaxing, laid back cruises. He wants to see snow if possible.

Any suggestions on where to start? I don't mind it being cold, we live in Florida and usually do carribean cruises so looking for something different. My parents went on the Princess Ruby last year and loved it. I just wondered if smaller cruises were really better. And if there is a downside to going earlier verses June-July. Any experiences would be nice to hear. Im not even sure what we want to see or do yet. Something cold! lol

Thoughts...

• to clarify... does he want to see falling snow or just snow on the ground? There are excursions that take you up to the glaciers to walk around. If your itinery includes Vancouver.... a day trip to Whistler will have a patch of the white stuff at the peak left overnight by Queen Elsa.
  • May will offer savings, but you'll see more snow from winter. Depending on how early in May, some excursions may not be available.
  • June will see warmer temperatures, getting hotter in July.
  • You might want to shortlist your boats that includes a day Glacier Bay if you want to see the glaciers. Tracy Arm offers wildlife, but there may be ice congestion limiting a meet with Sawyer.

I am looking to do an Alaskan cruise next year and just starting to research. Someone once told me to book a smaller vessel to get in closer to things. But Ive always had good advice here.

It's just me and a 10 year old. My son is introverted and prefers quiet over noisy crowds. He doesn't like the kids clubs. The size of the ship doesn't matter. Normally he just likes to swim on the ship so this will be quite different. We actually preferred the NCL Getaway over Disney. Even though the ship was larger, it was less noisy. I am not loyal to any specific brand and this time money is an issue. We just prefer relaxing, laid back cruises. He wants to see snow if possible.

Any suggestions on where to start? I don't mind it being cold, we live in Florida and usually do carribean cruises so looking for something different. My parents went on the Princess Ruby last year and loved it. I just wondered if smaller cruises were really better. And if there is a downside to going earlier verses June-July. Any experiences would be nice to hear. Im not even sure what we want to see or do yet. Something cold! lol

Think about Holland America's smaller ships that will be doing Alaska. Volendam from Vancouver and Amsterdam from Seattle are both doing 7-day round trips in May and June. They have covered pools ;) (there is a sliding dome over the pool which can open or close depending on weather).... and are smaller and overall quieter than most other mainstream lines doing Alaska. I'm presuming you want a round trip, but could be completely wrong on that ;)

The down side to May is that some excursions may not be available yet, and fewer wildlife sightings. The up side is that there will mostly likely be snow on the mountains. Does your son want to play in and feel snow? Or is seeing it from a distance what he wants?

Do you want a round trip or one way?

Are you thinking 7 days?

Have you looked at any of the ports, to see which ones you might want to visit? (That'll help you choose itinerary)

Any ship would meet your quiet requirements. Alaska sailings are vastly different than sailing the Caribbean, no party ships. IF swimming is your priority, then you need to verify the covered pools and start your elimination list there.

Even with being on a budget- make good use of your port time, and determine what you want to do, in ports early in your planning.

With your "snow" priority- you need to consider going in May. You would have easy access to snow, just go up the Mt Robert's tram (although pricey) or rent a car and drive out of Skagway- I recommend to Emerald Lake and return. IF even a remote interest in doing this- reserve this car early.