So Many Choices.....friendly advice please

Lois R

I have been to the Caribbean many, many times over the years but

it has been a long time since my itinerary included Antigua.....Yes,

I know how to use the search feature;) and I have used it ALOT.

I have my St Lucia and Barbados days all booked. Now for Antigua....

do you suggest an excursion? Or a beach? And if a beach? Which beach?

AND I can't remember how the dock area is set up....can I get off the

ship and find cheap transportation to the beach?

Thanks for any help and please be nice:)

I have been to the Caribbean many, many times over the years but

it has been a long time since my itinerary included Antigua.....Yes,

I know how to use the search feature;) and I have used it ALOT.

I have my St Lucia and Barbados days all booked. Now for Antigua....

do you suggest an excursion? Or a beach? And if a beach? Which beach?

AND I can't remember how the dock area is set up....can I get off the

ship and find cheap transportation to the beach?

Thanks for any help and please be nice:)

I know many of the beaches near the port may be crowded?....I prefer going somewhere a bit less populated....you can try Scenic tours of antigua - they have a pineapple east tour - (the one without the day pass) which takes you on a mini tour on the way to the beach and is very reasonable at $20 per adult - which is probably the same or less that you would pay for your own transportation there and back?

http://scenictoursantigua.com/v2/online-bookings/tour/pineapple-east-tour/

Otherwise I am sure you can just grab a taxi to a beach - darkwood, valley church and turner's are often mentioned....

I know many of the beaches near the port may be crowded?....I prefer going somewhere a bit less populated....you can try Scenic tours of antigua - they have a pineapple east tour - (the one without the day pass) which takes you on a mini tour on the way to the beach and is very reasonable at $20 per adult - which is probably the same or less that you would pay for your own transportation there and back?

http://scenictoursantigua.com/v2/online-bookings/tour/pineapple-east-tour/

Otherwise I am sure you can just grab a taxi to a beach - darkwood, valley church and turner's are often mentioned....

Hi, thank you for the reply:)...when they take you on the tour,

if I only want to stay at the beach 2/3 hours......is it set up for them

to come back at a certain time? I like the look of that area but

have no desire to be gone for 7 hours:eek:

I guess the best thing would be to call them and find out the timing

of the tours:)....will do that tomorrow. It says 9-4...I don't want

to be gone that long.

Edited by Lois R

WOW...I just called....spoke with a guy named Shawn and he said

taxi's in Antiqua have a minimum of 4 people:eek:.....and so if you are a

single person (ME).....I would have to pay the total of what would be

all 4:rolleyes:........

I ended up booking an excursion through the cruiseline....1/2 day

of sightseeing and some beachtime....this will be just fine for me:)

The ship docks right in downtown St. John's. If you want a cheap and interesting ride, walk out of the port and turn right on the main drag, 10 minutes to the bus station on your right. Buses are all minivans so you squash in with the locals who will be friendly. Fare is not more than USD $2, driver will take US or EC. He pockets the cash and doesn't give you a ticket. It's his bus! Can't remember which route number goes down the coast but it will be easy to find. There's a string of beaches south of St. John's. I always enjoyed Turner's - long, wide, glorious sand and a nice bar/restaurant. You might even find that Mr. Turner comes out to talk to you. Yes, there is a Mr. Turner. It will be the last one by which time everybody else will have crowded the nearer ones, some of which are a bit of a hike from the road and have been oversold. Turner's isn't.

The ship docks right in downtown St. John's. If you want a cheap and interesting ride, walk out of the port and turn right on the main drag, 10 minutes to the bus station on your right. Buses are all minivans so you squash in with the locals who will be friendly. Fare is not more than USD $2, driver will take US or EC. He pockets the cash and doesn't give you a ticket. It's his bus! Can't remember which route number goes down the coast but it will be easy to find. There's a string of beaches south of St. John's. I always enjoyed Turner's - long, wide, glorious sand and a nice bar/restaurant. You might even find that Mr. Turner comes out to talk to you. Yes, there is a Mr. Turner. It will be the last one by which time everybody else will have crowded the nearer ones, some of which are a bit of a hike from the road and have been oversold. Turner's isn't.

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply:)

• 2 months later...

Hi Doug,

Are the mini buses frequent? I have a rental car reserved but I would prefer to travel by bus. I need to get to the zip line location, and I have read that the taxis are quite expensive in Antiqua. I would also like to travel around the island. Thank you.

Cindy

Ah Cindy, not sure that any bus goes past the zipline location although I may be corrected on that. The zipline is in the middle of Fig Tree Drive (fig trees are banana trees) which is a very thinly populated, mountainous area. The bus service is really for the locals going to work and school, mainly in and out of St. John's. Tourists are welcome, of course. I think if you want to do the zipline and see more of the island then stick with the rental car. Once you are at the zipline you are most of the way towards Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour etc.

Ah Cindy, not sure that any bus goes past the zipline location although I may be corrected on that. The zipline is in the middle of Fig Tree Drive (fig trees are banana trees) which is a very thinly populated, mountainous area. The bus service is really for the locals going to work and school, mainly in and out of St. John's. Tourists are welcome, of course. I think if you want to do the zipline and see more of the island then stick with the rental car. Once you are at the zipline you are most of the way towards Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour etc.

Doug, we're going in March on Celebrity and have booked the catamaran & snorkel excursion, which ends around noon. We're (4) planning on taking a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard and have a couple of questions: 1. how far is it (never been to Caribbean so I have nothing to judge by) 2. how much would it cost and 3. are there nice local restaurants at the dockyard. How much time should we figure spending there....ship sails at 5.

The island is not very big - about 10 x 10 miles overall but then the roads are not very fast. From the port to Nelson's Dockyard should be 30 minutes at the most. Fares are controlled. It would be USD $24 for four people one way. You won't have a lot of time. Personally, with a 5:00 sailing we aim to be back on board at 4:00, just in case. That means leaving Nelson's at 3:30 and it was probably around 1:00 when you got there. Time for lunch only maybe. Lots of restaurants in the area but my personal favourite is Catherine's Cafe, run by a charming French couple. Not cheap and you would need a reservation for sure. Best plan is to do a deal with the taxi driver to wait at Nelson's and take you back to the ship. Pay when back at the ship. These guys do this all the time. I think it would be awfully tight trying to do the dockyard itself and lunch, other than a quick sandwich.

A few years back we went with Antigua Paddles and had a great time (http://www.antiguapaddles.com/). A relaxing kayak trip through the mangroves and then some beach/snorkeling time. Excellent hosts and guide.

We will be in Antigua for the first time on our next cruise and this looks like a good option for us. Do you remember how much it was?