Drink pkg/port drinking

We're cruising out of San Juan on a port intensive trip (only 1 sea day). Was wondering if it would be more economical to not purchase the ship's drink package and take advantage of all the ports and drink on land. Guess I'm asking if beer, cocktails, wine are very expensive in St Croix, St Kitts, St Maarten, Dominica, & Barbados.

We'd be willing to spread out our drinking throughout the day and enjoy only moderate drinking at night including the wine we bring onboard.

Also, which liquor is best for the islands I'm visiting? Learned the hard way years ago that some kinds of liquor are very expensive in ports compared to others. Thanks for any info you can supply!

FWIW, we just canceled our premium packages for Oasis in 3 weeks. We are on a 7-day with 3 port days. When we started thinking about it, we realized that we're not 'losing' anything by not buying the package, but we may just come out ahead paying as you go. The package doesn't give you discounted drinks. But on the ships, often there are 2-for-1 drinks, drinks of the day, etc... and certainly in the ports there are always drink specials. We figured the drink package for our cruise was going to be $800 for the two of us. I highly doubt we will drink $800 worth of alcohol on the ship. And if we do, the only difference would be that we pay our bill on board versus having it prepaid.

you have a good point, when you have a cruise without too many sea days you may not want to do drink package, I also really like drinking at local bars, we found a nice bar on beach recently walking distance from port in St Croix. Rum and local beer would normally be the cheapest things to drink, St Marteen has some great restaurants and bars on the beach.

I am doing the same cruise in April...but even with lots of ports I will still do the package....as I don't spend all day in the port, there is still lots of time to enjoy drinks on the ship.....and during the evenings...but this will be my first port intensive cruise with a drink package so will be a trial experience for me.

We're cruising out of San Juan on a port intensive trip (only 1 sea day). Was wondering if it would be more economical to not purchase the ship's drink package and take advantage of all the ports and drink on land. Guess I'm asking if beer, cocktails, wine are very expensive in St Croix, St Kitts, St Maarten, Dominica, & Barbados.

We'd be willing to spread out our drinking throughout the day and enjoy only moderate drinking at night including the wine we bring onboard.

Also, which liquor is best for the islands I'm visiting? Learned the hard way years ago that some kinds of liquor are very expensive in ports compared to others. Thanks for any info you can supply!

Did that itinerary on Jewel back at Springbreak. We had out lowest bar bill ever on a cruise.

Prices on land were reasonable and we had an excursion/activity planned at every stop. Typically back aboard mid afternoon and no late night partying/shows since we were up early to get off the boat again the next day.

If you plan on doing the evening shows, etc. still then the package might still make sense for you, but for us we had a couple of drinks around dinner and that was about it.

Thanks for your replies.

Any recommendations for restaurants or bars?

Pretty sure name of the place on St Croix was Coconuts on the beach, loved that it was walking distance fun little bar, you can see reviews on tripadvisor

and regarding the drink package and ports if we go to the private island in Belize will our drinks be covered by the package? I think that was the way it worked in Labadee.

I'm not aware of any Royal Caribbean private island in or near Belize. If you mean Coco Cay in the Bahamas, the drink packages work there.

I'm not aware of any Royal Caribbean private island in or near Belize. If you mean Coco Cay in the Bahamas, the drink packages work there.

Yeah, I meant to say private beach because I thought I read that RC had one there but I better check that again.

Thanks for the response.

Did 7 night port heavy on AOS earlier this month, normal drink package customer and I'm so glad I didn't buy it for that trip.

If you hit all the ports and the weather is nice, you definitely shouldn't need it. If you enjoy wine with dinner - make sure to bring your two bottles for more savings.