Getting workout in on Independence

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the fitness center on the IOS. Specifically if there are free weights and what the set up is (free barbells on a ship would be great, but doing free lifts on a moving ship is a little eyebrow raising).How high do the dumb bells go? also, pull up bars and bands?

I even saw somewhere on the boards about TRX. Do those need to be used with a class or can we just use them on our own (we work out with them occasionally).

What are the typical free classes? I doubt we would want to pay for a class.

Are there times that it is less busy on the ship? We are on a holiday cruise and I don't want kids (are they allowed in? And is that enforced ?) nearby. I feel like we will have a very full ship.

I know it's vacation, but I've got to be in a bathing suit and there is food everywhere!

And completely off topic - how is gluten free eating in the ship?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the fitness center on the IOS. Specifically if there are free weights and what the set up is (free barbells on a ship would be great, but doing free lifts on a moving ship is a little eyebrow raising).How high do the dumb bells go? also, pull up bars and bands?

I even saw somewhere on the boards about TRX. Do those need to be used with a class or can we just use them on our own (we work out with them occasionally).

What are the typical free classes? I doubt we would want to pay for a class.

Are there times that it is less busy on the ship? We are on a holiday cruise and I don't want kids (are they allowed in? And is that enforced ?) nearby. I feel like we will have a very full ship.

I know it's vacation, but I've got to be in a bathing suit and there is food everywhere!

And completely off topic - how is gluten free eating in the ship?

i worked out on ios a couple of weeks ago. dumb bells go up to 80 pounds and the are three benches that can be used with the dumb bells. there are no bench press benches or squat racks but there is a smith machine with 6 45lb plates and some quarters, dimes and nickels. they have all of the normal weight machines, treadmills and other cardio equipment you would expect at a gym.

there is a pull up bar but i wasn't checking for any bands. i had no issues with the 80lb dumb bells. its a large ship you don't feel the movement unless the sea is very rough.

there is also a .2 mile track on the top deck. i ran it a couple of times during the week as well.

i found mid afternoon to be a less crowded time. morning had too many people pretending to work out and the evening had too many people socializing on machines and taking forever to do a set. i didn't do any classes but there are some no charge classes.

Edited by gammite

i worked out on ios a couple of weeks ago. dumb bells go up to 80 pounds and the are three benches that can be used with the dumb bells. there are no bench press benches or squat racks but there is a smith machine with 6 45lb plates and some quarters, dimes and nickels. they have all of the normal weight machines.

there is a pull up bar but i wasn't check for any bands. i had no issues with the 80lb dumb bells. its a large ship you don't feel the movement unless the sea is very rough.

there is also a .2 mile track on the top deck. i ran it a couple of times during the week as well.

i found mid afternoon to be a less crowded time. morning had too many people pretending to work out and the evening had too many people socializing on machines and taking forever to do a set. i didn't do any classes but there are some no charge classes.

Thanks so much! I usually work out at noon anyway so that time works out for me. Makes me extra hungry for lunch, haha. And I hate having people watch me work out (it's always the ones pretending to work out or the ones who can't lift properly and makes me cringe). I can't do real pull up sets without a band :rolleyes: maybe something to work up to!

And I am excited for the weights (yay!). I feel like taking a week off and eating excessively instead would send my body into major shock. My husband will be happy to hear that there are some heavier weights available! It's our first cruise and we are both a little bit fitness centric and were really worried about our health, haha

i was also concerned about eating too much and i ate too much any. by wens i said enough was enough and i stopped eating so much. i felt so heavy/bloated.

luckily the fitness facility was up to par. while not a full fledged gym it was enough to get me by where i didn't miss an entire week of working out and didn't feel totally guilty.

My wife and I were on Indy just two weeks ago. We had no troubles getting cardio machines during the AM, usually got to the gym around 9am. We also went mid afternoon a few times (1-3) and the gym was not too busy. Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be on Indy over NYE and like to go to the gym early to get my workout in, unless I have a class at night. I dont pretend to work out at 5:30 am 5-6 times a week. Sime of us like to go early lol. That said, what time does the gym open?

Has anyone noticed if there are also rowing machines?

Thanks so much everyone! Happy workouts!

Edited by js

• 3 weeks later...
Ill be on Indy over NYE and like to go to the gym early to get my workout in, unless I have a class at night. I dont pretend to work out at 5:30 am 5-6 times a week. Sime of us like to go early lol. That said, what time does the gym open?

Has anyone noticed if there are also rowing machines?

Thanks so much everyone! Happy workouts!

I'd like to know about the row machines as well?

Classes on Indy were as follows when we sailed last year:

Day 2 at Sea

7:00AM stretch (free)

7:30AM Fab Abs (free)

8:00 AM Yoga ($)

9:00 AM Group Cycle ($)

10:00AM Boot Camp ($)

11:00AM, 2PM Health Seminar

4PM Core Conditioning ($)

Days in Port

7:00AM stretch (free)

7:30AM Fab Abs (free)