Has the wine policy changed?

Windsailer

When the wine policy was changed a few years ago to limit passengers to one bottle upon embarkation the word/phrase 750ml was included.

This is from HAL's current Know Before You Go document:

"ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine

or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on

luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

I understand the 750ml was to make clear that Jeroboams and boxes of wine weren't allowed. But I don't remember the phrase "...no larger than..." in that policy. It seems to me that you could now bring a 375 ml bottle of wine on the ship and still fit within the policy. Any thoughts?

750ml only!

On The Nieuw Amsterdam's b2b cruise in March only 1 bottle each at 750 ml,

We brought 1/2 dozen bottles of wine paying the 18.00 per bottle to bring onboard. My husband had a port wine that was 375ml and not acceptable which they held at end of cruise.

Denise:)

750ml only!

My husband had a port wine that was 375ml and not acceptable which they held at end of cruise.

If that isn't the stupidest thing I've heard in years!

Has anyone <not necessarily you, Denise> contacted Seattle to try to get them to admit that 375 ml is, indeed, less than 750 ml?

750ml only!

On The Nieuw Amsterdam's b2b cruise in March only 1 bottle each at 750 ml,

We brought 1/2 dozen bottles of wine paying the 18.00 per bottle to bring onboard. My husband had a port wine that was 375ml and not acceptable which they held at end of cruise.

I wonder if they held it because it was Port - not because of it's size. Did they tell you? I have a 375ml bottle of dessert wine I'd really, really like to bring on my next HAL cruise.

I have always read the policy as being to a maximum of 750 ml. Not that it has to be that much. I think the issue was the fact that it was a port wine. I am sure I have read on here that port is not considered a wine, by the wine rule makers at HAL.

My recollection faced with the same situation was that HAL strictly enforces the definition of port as a fortified wine. As such, it is covered by "Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard."

wow, the port situation is very perplexing. we brought port on in our ports (no pun intended) on our last European cruise with no issue. I did check at the time and was told that port was a wine (fortified, yes but still a type of wine).

Now, the port was going home so if they had wanted to hold it for us they could have (isn't that always the way) but it sure sounds like they have changed their position on this very quickly.

wow, the port situation is very perplexing. we brought port on in our ports (no pun intended) on our last European cruise with no issue. I did check at the time and was told that port was a wine (fortified, yes but still a type of wine).

Now, the port was going home so if they had wanted to hold it for us they could have (isn't that always the way) but it sure sounds like they have changed their position on this very quickly.

I think much depends on who does the checking-in of the wine. After all, how hard is it to figure out 2 times 375 equals 750 mls. Or that any less than 750 mls is OK. And some will say port wine is OK, others not.

I think the issue was the fact that it was a port wine. I am sure I have read on here that port is not considered a wine, by the wine rule makers at HAL.
Correct

And some will say port wine is OK, others not.
Correct again.

Once in Naples we brought on and kept a bottle of Limoncello by saying in jest that it was "lemon wine"! :) I don't know if he believed me, or just let me get away with it.

Edited by jtl513

I think much depends on who does the checking-in of the wine. After all, how hard is it to figure out 2 times 375 equals 750 mls. Or that any less than 750 mls is OK. And some will say port wine is OK, others not.

Someone could show up with a 1.5L bottle and argue that it equals two 750ml bottles between the two adults. And then someone sees that and argues about a box between two cabins etc.

So they make a simple rule without lots of exceptions. :)

Someone could show up with a 1.5L bottle and argue that it equals two 750ml bottles between the two adults. And then someone sees that and argues about a box between two cabins etc.

So they make a simple rule without lots of exceptions. :)

I think they have that covered by the rule "1 - 750ml bottle per person" - but as we know, just about everything is open to interpretation.:)