Live blog From Anthem of the Seas Transatlantic

Love reading this review especially comparing it to our quantum crossing. We were lucky enough to only have 2 bad weather days

Not sure if it's just me but this is hard to read due to the font size. Would that have anything to to with the pictures? Maybe not as most picture reviews I can read fine and font is big.

After we had finished the mains we had to wait some time for our plates to be cleared and again for our water glasses to be refilled.

The waiter asked if we would like some desserts and would we be happy with his recommendation which we were. We didn't see a dessert menu so not sure if they have one.

When the desserts arrived again we were told what these were which was baked Alaska, key lime lollipops and chocolate lava cake served with pistachio ice cream and cream

eed61857fd7d10b1da27680b3f0fcfb9.jpg

The baked Alaska was our least favourite dessert. I also don't think it had been baked but merely blow torched for colour.

29e090c3dbcb9cbd4a7de477a77e4244.jpg

The key lime lollipops were very good. We couldn't work out if it was ice cream, a mouse or what due to the texture and temperature but the taste was great

efb0e5d2aec85f3139b84ec31bec8c86.jpg

The chocolate lava cake was good but the pistachio ice cream served with it was much better

At the end of the meal we handed out sea pass cards over to cover the drinks. This was the first time we had been given a receipt to sign for a zero amount. I assume the waiter wanted an additional tip but based on the service provided that wasn't going to happen.

In the other restaurants we have tipped cash for good service. I'm not sure if this is the correct etiquette on a cruise but is something we always do on holiday. We have pre paid tips which I know sort of covers tips, however this is not something I agree with as if it's pretty much mandatory they should just include it in the cruise fare so the staff get paid a fair amount. However we just treated this as part of the cruise cost rather than for tips, although that's probably for another post.

Overall Wonderland was an experience, however for the most expensive speciality restaurant on the boat we would expect a better level of service.

The weather here in NY has been really nice, so you should have some relatively calm seas going forward.

I really hope that you get some of these activities in that you wanted to.

Have you tried the Puzzle Break Escape Room?

I wonder if they also have one of those murder mysteries.

I wish they offered some sort of course under the nighttime sky like navigating using the stars or astronomy or something like that.

It seems that's an unusually long stretch of time to have bad weather, even on a TA.

I hope it doesn't change your mind about cruising.

Thank you so much for the daily updates.

We have actually got puzzle break booked for today. It's never been advertised on the cruise compass, that we have seen anyway but someone on an earlier post mentioned this and we were able to book through the IQ app, as this wasn't available to book on the cruise planner before boarding.

The sea is much calmer today than it has been and the weather updates from the captain have confirmed this should be calm over the next few days so we have our fingers crossed.

They don't have a murder mystery onboard that we are aware of, but that would have been great.

No don't think we are out of cruising. The boat is great. Yes somethings aren't perfect but overall it's not bad.

Love reading this review especially comparing it to our quantum crossing. We were lucky enough to only have 2 bad weather days

Not sure if it's just me but this is hard to read due to the font size. Would that have anything to to with the pictures? Maybe not as most picture reviews I can read fine and font is big.

Hi MaggieQ

Sorry not sure on the font size, it may be due to me using the Tapatalk app to do the posts, I've checked and there isn't an option to increase font size I'm afraid.

Hmm. The wondercumber drink sounds good. Is there a bar in there where we could try that without eating there?

That food looks interesting but maybe not always all that appetizing! ?!???

Hi

We've not seen that drink in any other bar. My OH did have that but didn't think it was very good, although is obviously personal taste.

The cotton candy cocktail is on the menu on 270.

Yes I would agree, for the starters they looked good but didn't taste too good. The mains and desserts were very good though.

So last night as the main shows had been cancelled they had an alternative show on in the main theatre at 19:30 and 21:15. This was with a band and some of the singers from We. Will Rock you. We caught the last half of the early show and it was good. Although the show was only around 40 minutes in length which seemed short for a show described as a concert.

With it being Halloween they had advertised a Halloween Spectacular haunted house event downstairs in he music hall at 21:30. When we got there around 9, there was a big queue already waiting to go in. When it opened people went through in groups of 6-8, and it was basically some sheets hung from the ceiling and dressed up entertainers jumping out at people. It took less than 1 minute to go through and was poor to say the least. It certainly wasn't worth queuing for or scary in the least. We also heard a number of people expressing their dissatisfaction over this.

It also meant there was no music in the music hall until 11pm when he DJ was on. It also meant upstairs was very busy as half the venue was in effect closed and the downstairs bar and seating was unavailable.

There was a best dressed fancy dress competition at midnight, although we didn't stay for this as we had lost interest by this point.

Day 6 - At Sea

Today we decided to go to American Icon for breakfast which opened at 8.30

We got there just after opening time and there was already a significant queue. To combat this the staff were asking people who were happy to share to queue in a different line. We opted to stay in the normal queue and wait for a table for two.

We were seated within about 10 minutes which we didn't think was too bad however the overall experience was chaotic at best.

We were given a menu and offered pastries as well as our drinks order being taken.

e8e41cf6af3c94ff4df53d02554c1047.jpg

15477219a3866b4db324576134719781.jpg

It took around 25 minutes from ordering to receiving our fresh juices.

We were also advised by the waiter that there would be a wait for cooked items due to the kitchen being under pressure.

We ordered some cereals which the waiter brought after about 15 minutes and our cooked breakfast arrived about 40 minutes after ordering

9f98664ae8b4ae760b7e37008c0f6803.jpg

When the food arrived it was very good and was nice and hot. The toast however was cold.

If the environment and the service hadn't been so chaotic it would have been a great breakfast. However, I think we will probably avoid this for the next few mornings and just go the WJ early for breakfast when it is much quieter.

One other thing, that in one of the other restaurants this morning they did have Dreamworks character breakfast. We saw the signs for this and heard them on the mic while queueing at icon, but sorry don't know anymore about this.

Glad to hear that you have many more cruises ahead. It really is a wonderful experience.

I love sailing out of San Juan during the colder months to escape to the warmth from up North.

Gorgeous Caribbean ports and always a great time!

Anthem Royal IQ App info from CC live thread 10/??/15 From South Hampton

Thank you for the review!

My question is in regards to the RoyalIQ app.

Do you have to have the wifi on to use the app?

If so, the bills would be incredibly high.

Can you have the wifi and airplane modes off and still use the app?

Thank you!

-Michael

You keep the phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi only. There's no charge to use the app since the data never leaves the ship - you don't need an Internet package. There's a feature inside the app that will incur a charge and that's the on board texting/calling, but again that's a flat rate for the sailing and it does not need an Internet connection.

Great info about the Royal IQ App.

Hi Michael

No charge just to use the app.

As well as the app there are a number of websites you can access for free as well such as Royal Carribean or linked companies.

We have just signed up for the Internet package and it was $180 for 2 devices for the full cruise. As we tend to use the Internet a lot we can live with this cost.

I've also just speed checked it and it peaked at 10mbps but slow ping of 295ms

Thanks for the Royal IQ app info and for the live review. Subscribed and looking forward to more.

Sorry this post is off topic, but promise it's the only one and normal blogging will be resumed tomorrow with pics from Wonderland tonight and the rest of the behind he scene tour.

As we ended up talking about dogs tonight we realised how much we are missing our little man Stanley.

Although he's being looked after well and with his doggy mates it will be good to get him back

If you want to follow Stanley The Schnauzer you can do so at http://www.Facebook.com/StanleyTheSchnauzer

1013717ba7813302fc6c28ad822d93da.jpg

2b27d718954cf83789fdd365ef3acb5c.jpg

Leaving our labradoodle is the worst part of holidays. However the joy of knowing we are hours from seeing him when we disembark makes leaving a cruise holiday bearable. 5a635c30bfbde1cbc054b8f51d533de7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leaving our labradoodle is the worst part of holidays. However the joy of knowing we are hours from seeing him when we disembark makes leaving a cruise holiday bearable. 5a635c30bfbde1cbc054b8f51d533de7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a cool dog, not surprised you miss him

Can you please tell me if there have been any drinks that were excluded from your drink package? We just bought the package and I'm hoping most everything will be included. Thanks!

So far not, we have been drinking premium spirits, cocktails, wines etc.

The only thing not included was the shakes at Johnny Rockets, and if want a glass of wine over $14 you need to pay the difference.

It seems as though wonderland has gotten mixed reviews. Disappointing!!

Do you know if Johnny Rockets serves a free breakfast-- I had heard this, but don't see it on your compass.

Hi, not surprised Wonderland has mixed reviews. We are glad we did it but wouldn't go back.

As mentioned in a previous review we had pre booked Wonderland and Chops before boarding but when onboard saw the offer for 3 restaurants for $80. It ended up costing us $10 less each to book Jamie's as well.

Johnny Rockets doesn't do a breakfast, but not sure if this is due to this sailing.

So far not, we have been drinking premium spirits, cocktails, wines etc.

The only thing not included was the shakes at Johnny Rockets, and if want a glass of wine over $14 you need to pay the difference.

The special cocktails in the various dining rooms, were you allowed to get those? Some people are telling me $12 is the limit and then you pay extra but all those drinks are $14. Thanks again.

The special cocktails in the various dining rooms, were you allowed to get those? Some people are telling me $12 is the limit and then you pay extra but all those drinks are $14. Thanks again.

They SHOULD be included-- given that this cruise left from UK, gratuities are included.

I can confirm all these have been included. I think the confusion on maximum value is due to the UK prices including gratuity already.

If they hadn't been included on the ultimate we would have been slightly annoyed based on the way this package is advertised.

As I have said apart from Johnny Rockets we have not found one drink that we would be charged for subject to the $14 maximum limit on wine

We have a booked a cruise on Anthem and have a 7th floor room. I was wonder that since the 6th floor room are blocked by the life boats, do the 7th floor rooms have an obstructed view looking down to the ocean?

Thanks again for all the great updates and pictures, I am making notes of your comments on items that I feel are important for us to remember.

Apparently you are on the cruise with this person who thinks that her deaf friend is being treated like a second class citizen:

That doesn't sound good.

Don't think it's the Anthem though as the post mentions the boat has been sailing for 5 years. It could possibly be the Allure as this is also doing a transatlantic at the moment?

Any idea how much it is for a basic shot of say vodka or tequila? I'm not a huge drinker so wondering if it would work out to get the package for just non alcoholic drinks and coffee, then here and there get a shot to add in.

After seeing CruisenovicesUK's post of the liquor menu at Michael's, that sold me on the Premium package, I'm going to be making very good friends with the bartenders there since they have Don Julio 1942, that is my favorite tequila.