Live blog From Anthem of the Seas Transatlantic

This morning...

So I haven't posted much today as we have been busy with a few activities which are now back on, as the weather has calmed.

We were at breakfast early again around 7am at the Windjammer. It's great at this time as its quite and a pleasant experience. We have found this to be the best breakfast option assuming you go when it's quite.

After breakfast we went to La Patisserie for A Starbucks then to 270 for the 4th and final round of the progressive trivia quiz. We haven't done that well so far but it has been fun. Top tip, if you get a question about apples, don't overthink it.

We had reservations for iFly this morning and it was fantastic. You couldn't take phones up so I haven't got any pictures or video, but there was an option to buy 3 photos for $30 which we have done and will be able to collect later.

It was a great experience and something I would highly recommend you try. We are going to see if we can have another go tomorrow on standby, as you can only book one session but can do standby sessions when people don't turn up.

After iFly there was a body boarding session on FlowRider. As the sun was almost shining I decided to give it a go while my OH watched and filmed my attempts.

As it is fairly cold there weren't that many people queuing so I had my first go in less than 15 minutes. Once you have had a go, you can go back in the line for another go. The line had got shorter so it was less than 5 minutes to get another go and I repeated this a few times.

Before one of my turns, a staff member went on to show us the correct way to do this. This was really helpful to understand the best technique, he stayed on while I had my go and this helped me to only go from being able to lay down on the board to being able kneel on this. On the body boarding sessions you can't stand up but they also do stand up surfing sessions.

Here is one of my attempts

Again Flow Rider is something worth doing and during the hotter itineraries would be much more enjoyable

We are loving your posts!! We are going on Anthem on Oct 29th, 2016; only a year to go!! The FlowRider video was awesome!!! :).

The only issue we have with your blog is that it's so darn addicting! I can't help checking the forum every time an alert pops up :). Hopefully my boss understands - lol

Have a great rest of vacation - thank you again!!

Edited by Gabling

Thanks! I'll be in midship on 6, so no clue. As you can see I'm over-planning for a trip that's still 10 months away! :). Deciding, do i bring iPad or just kindle and iPhone. First world problems, I know.

Bring them all, we did although we haven't used the iPad or our kindles and just pretty much used our iPhones all the time.

One thing I would recommend though is if you haven't got one already is a power bank. We have got two and carried at least one with us at all times so our phones never go flat. The ones we have used are these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P7N0320/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1446510628&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=anker+power+bank&dpPl=1&dpID=31LWsafd8mL&ref=plSrch

Although you do need to get a lightning cable for them as one is not included

Bring them all, we did although we haven't used the iPad or our kindles and just pretty much used our iPhones all the time.

One thing I would recommend though is if you haven't got one already is a power bank. We have got two and carried at least one with us at all times so our phones never go flat. The ones we have used are these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P7N0320/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1446510628&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=anker+power+bank&dpPl=1&dpID=31LWsafd8mL&ref=plSrch

Although you do need to get a lightning cable for them as one is not included

I use a mophie, which can also be used as a case.

This afternoon...

So after the FlowRider section we went for lunch (after I had warmed up)

Today we just went to cafe 270 and had the hot roast beef sandwich. These are excellent and are hand carved beef. They also had a ham and pork pie which was ok. I'm not sure if pies are as much of an American thing as as a British one but it wasn't bad.

Here is the lunch menu from cafe 270

44c3a84d3ebc79cc91b947132a9aa158.jpg

196adc33897948ba8c05775dfef4d250.jpg

We had our rescheduled reservation for Spectre's Cabaret at 15:30 so stayed in 270 for this. The entertainment team kept making announcements that anyone without reservations needed to leave, then staff came round to anyone still seated to scan sea pass cards to ensure you had a reservation.

The show was a bit random but very good and made full use of 270 including the robo screens (which had a technical problem at the start which delayed the show starting), the vistarama screens, the raising floors and the aerial performance.

Again I won't go into too much detail on the show as I don't want to spoil it but we would recommend you make reservations and go and watch it.

After the show we managed a quick power nap before dinner which tonight was at Chic.

Tonight we were asked if our preference was a table for 2 or to share tonight, we opted for a table for 2 again which was only about 6 inches from the table next to us.

The service in Chic was poor, bad service does seem to be a trend on the boat with a few exceptions. Especially the outstanding service we received in Jamie's a few nights ago.

We were asked for our drinks order but had not been given a drinks menu. We asked for the drinks menus then 10 minutes later the waiter came back and asked for our drinks order and we reminded him we had not yet received the drinks menu.

Upon receiving the drinks menu we ordered a couple of cocktails:

d8f47f11a4c90622a316191d96933c2c.jpg

8df49a1fd9b0d303d40b1f51cf7b6612.jpg

a5ffe4b5470530b7a731af859dd8bfd9.jpg

718636ab107bfa47c2903f81fbf216e9.jpg

For starters we had the crab cakes and the ravioli

93f675846f1a9bc903488f480e432a34.jpg

6e52e2b9cb0fd752590bd42ebc5bea48.jpg

Both starters tasted good. We did have an issue with the salt pot on the table though in that it had been filled with pepper rather than salt and it took as a short while to actually get some salt.

3932834ccfd6a25b8225b219d16809f7.jpg

This is the prime rib, I had order it medium but it seemed more rare - medium rare. This wasn't a massive issue as I do eat beef like this but would have preferred it medium but couldn't be bothered sending it back with he level of service we were getting

054b18514e5d69c79e1f85d0f237fba7.jpg

The rack of lamb my partner ordered was fantastic, and I would highly recommend this

d550853ddf1ac36e9ecc53ff28e4ba2e.jpg

We actually ordered a 3rd main to share which was the scampi style shrimp. In the UK we would expect scampi to be breaded and deep fried, although maybe it's different in the US. We're not complaining though the shrimp were very good and made for a nice surf me turf

Here is the dessert menu:

261eddf3ff973888e0c4899755566cd9.jpg

We opted for the panna cotta and the dark chocolate tart.

c6a1defc0524a892683199e1a166c6dc.jpg

The panna cotta was good as it wasn't too large. However it has obviously been sat on the plate for some time as it was firmly stuck to it.

07ecf9acc6ebef4463380f248ad85e08.jpg

The chocolate tart was ok but not great. The shavings on it looked like they should be crispy but they were chewy and ruined it a bit. I love desserts, however, I even left some of this.

Overall the food was pretty good in Chic but let down by the poor level of service. It just seemed all the staff were confused and had difficulty dealing with the number of tables, even though the restaurant was not full.

Tonight....

After dinner we stopped in the Music Hall where the Rock the Boat band were playing. It's the first time we have seen them while on the cruise and they are really good, so wished we had dropped on this earlier.

Tonight's show was a hypnotist called Christopher Caress

b8f6d7ba7b65b0dd7f54fda62fe5d0ea.jpg

There was a 7pm and 9pm show, we caught the late show.

At the beginning he asked for people to go on stage who wanted to be hypnotised. About 30 people went up including my OH. This seemed to be a test to see who could be easily hypnotised with some people sent back to their seats and some kept on stage. My OH was kept on stage then he sent people to sleep, but as my OH didn't go straight away, he thought she was resisting she was sent back to her seat. The people remaining seated went straight out extremely quick, it's so clever how he can do this so quickly to people.

The show was fantastic and extremely funny. You defiantly need to go and watch even if you don't want to be hypnotised.

The hypnotist is doing another session tomorrow afternoon in 270 where he said he will change people's life by stopping them smoking and talk about hypnotism. We are planning to go and watch this.

We are now currently in the Music Hall where there is a show called Anthem Rocks. I had expected this to be live music but unfortunately it's just recorded music with the cruise director as compere and some dancers. It would be so much better with live music.

After Anthem Rocks finishes Rock the Boat are doing another set so think we will probably stay for this.

As a final post for tonight I would just like to thank everyone again for following this thread and for all your fantastic comments.

I know there are still some questions I need to answer and will try and do this tomorrow, although since the seas are calmer and everything is back on, we are trying to fit a few things in.

I know I also said I would put the final parts of the behind the scenes tour on, I haven't forgotten and will do this as soon as I get chance.

If there are any other questions, please post these, as tomorrow is our last full day to find stuff out. After we have left the cruise we could probably answer a lot and still have a lot of photos and content to upload.

As a final post for tonight I would just like to thank everyone again for following this thread and for all your fantastic comments.

If there are any other questions, please post these, as tomorrow is our last full day to find stuff out. After we have left the cruise we could probably answer a lot and still have a lot of photos and content to upload.

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. Appreciate all the pics and commentary. Enjoy your last day onboard. :)

Yes we have ALL enjoyed cruising with you. Even though I stopped and read your blog several times a day I hope I am not asking a duplicate question.

DH just took up walking and was wondering if you knew how far it is around the track?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I still laugh remembering one of your comments earlier about 4,000 people getting off the ship without cars.

Thank's for all the great pic and report's from the ship,,,we still have 4 month's to go before our cruise but can't wait now. Hope you guy's had a great cruise and thank's again.

We will be watching the Anthem come into port on the web cam in the Am and can't wait to see her.

Tony

DH just took up walking and was wondering if you knew how far it is around the

It's approximately 2.9 laps to the mile and is well marked. (I did my two mile walk earlier today, a gorgeous morning for our final day.) The track runs the entire perimeter of deck 15, with a little uphill as you approach the bow. It's the longest and best track of any ship I've been on.

Right now, the long line of people waiting to get on North Star is crowding part of the track, and I suspect that on a warm weather cruise, people on the loungers will crowd it as well. Get up early!

Morning

Here is the Day 5 cruise compass

a795c3263b43b127abb3bda47d7fa849.jpg

5ac79ed487fda1961a189d1a10116d87.jpg

It's a beautiful day, the sea is calm and the sun is shining so we will be able to do a lot of the activities again today.

We didn't get up as early as we planned as we ended up having a bit of a late one. How crazy is this were in the middle of the Atlantic and bumped into some people we know from work back home so ended up having quite a few drinks with them. It was a really good night.

IFly opened at 9 so we have gone up there and am in the standby line. My OH isn't going to partake today she will be able to take some pictures.

We think we will do the selfie scavenger hunt at 11 then will probably go on Flow rider later on in the day so posts may be a bit limited today but, will add things as I can.

So I just want to say that I am not going on Anthem soon nor do I have any reservations in the future. Your review is one of the best reviews I have ever seen hands down. The time and attention, the photos, menus, activities, everything...superb. Your willingness to answer all sorts of questions was the icing on the cake!

It sounds like you had a good time doing it and I'm sort of sad it's coming to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed checking in each day to see what you had in store for us. Thanks so much!

Edited by slyster