Live blog From Anthem of the Seas Transatlantic

All menus are now in one location in PDF format:

http://www.bourkeblogs.com/aotsmenus

I will be updating the daily blogs on my site as well shortly, but thought it would be useful to have all the menus in one place first.

Awesome!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Btw, i'm sorry the moderators have moved your thread to the quantum subform. I was hoping the moderators would see the interest it generated on the main forum, and realize it's time to do away with the quantum subform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Btw, i'm sorry the moderators have moved your thread to the quantum subform. I was hoping the moderators would see the interest it generated on the main forum, and realize it's time to do away with the quantum subform.

Thanks, I'm not sure why there is a sub forum as it's no longer countdown to Quantum class, but I am relatively new to the site and not a mod so I am sure there must be a reason for this.

There certainly was some interest though, I am amazed it has gone over 50k so thanks again to everybody for your interest.

Edited by CruisenovicesUK

Right, I'm going to get back to the final parts of the All Access Tour

Once, we had left the Laundry we continued through the crew areas including the Crew Windjammer and Crew Cafe. We were not permitted to take photos here, understandably, due to respecting the privacy of the crew in their down time. The tour guide, confirmed they also have a crew lounge on another deck where entertainment and parties are on and also outside space on the deck.

From here we went on to be taken behind the scenes in the theatre and given a tour by the head of the theatre (who was extremely good, just can't remember his name).

We entered the theatre from the crew area and were first shown one of the dressing rooms. It is extremely small for the number of people who need to use this at pace with their costume changes:

a89888ae38fec7a6c224b6f12b6d6628.jpg

All the crew do their own makeup for the shows and their are no professional make up artists for the crew.

The cast who are in We Will Rock You, are also in the other main stage show of The Gift. Before coming on the boat they receive 2 months of training in Miami and then once onboard there is a period of one month where both the existing and new cast are on the ship to ensure consistency for the shows. For We Will Rock You the performers are trained by the same team that trained the performers in the West End version, to again ensure consistency within the show. Whenever there is a cast change, the team come back on to train the new cast.

As well as the main shows the singers also perform in some other events including Name That Tune live. As mentioned in previous posts, the standard of the performances is extremely high and equal to that of a West End / Broadway show.

The theatre manager gave some stats on the theatre itself. The set up they have on the boat is one of the most advanced stage set ups anywhere globally. It is only rivalled by some in Vegas. The way it has been set up also allows equipment of up to 2 tonnes to be lifted as it is built on a steel structure and a much larger capacity than most theatres on land.

We could not go on the stage as the cast where rehearsing for a show, so could only see this from the wings. On the stage there are multiple points where the stage drops down into a pit for the cast to be then lifted on stage. For the performers to access this, they have to run out of the theatre at the back, through the crew areas then into the access door, not an easy task to complete in the middle of a show.

Unfortunately we did not get to see the pit or orchestra area.

On the stage, most of the set is moved electronically by chains in the floor. These are controlled by joysticks by the theatre manager who looks after all stage movements from his box. Unfortunately we did not get to see the control area either.

There is very limited space behind the stage for storage, and it is next to the bow which we heard waves crashing against. The kit is tied up and stored backstage and here is a part from We Will Rock You.

6d4f88056fa23a04f5ca18017253099a.jpg

This staging is from the US road version of the show. As it wasn't big enough to fill the stage on Anthem, it was adapted and extended.

Here are a couple of shots of the empty theatre.

cfba79304cd62696f6d250d5d5acdd55.jpg

faff0d1b7b3036481ca8fd03bb70c33a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The final and probably the most interesting part of the tour was a visit to the Bridge.

The bridge was access from deck 12, through a passenger cabin corridor, which then led to some crew cabins, which then led to the Bridge. Before we were able to access the Bridge we were again met by security who scanned us and checked ID again.

We were welcomed onto the Bridge by one of the junior officers, who was very knowledgable about the Bridge. He advised that the boat was currently being run on auto pilot and there were a couple of other crew just sat in the main chairs monitoring the systems and I would assume keeping a look out.

We were taken to the port side of the bridge first where the boat can be fully controlled from, and is when the boat is docking. Here are some pictures of the controls and screens:

ceea3d474d89e9eb4db19e7b1f6d472c.jpg

a2365fad682b4c6e8186e3fb47f410e6.jpg

b9f4348c7649f34027b623707fb2ab47.jpg

6bcbf091080de7dc8c451afb76d535ca.jpg

867898ffec4a8dbff2a2bd570937486d.jpg

2ef698539fabe927f3964a739344641c.jpg

Here are a couple from the central controls. This area was cordoned off for us, so we couldn't get any close shots:

a837df4e1783d9b68b171bc8a8a3ba6c.jpg

fa127bfc260a2a3601a2c6eaad2f1956.jpg

At the back of the bridge there is the navigation and monitoring areas which are in glass rooms which can be closed off when required. There were lots of screens with various information and here are pictures of a few of them:

b660831e169af27c9bb6c928118c862b.jpg

3f6bbee4ac64232bb01fbbb2c7c7abf9.jpg

This screen shows ballast, including sea water ballast, fuel and fresh water. The green is sea water and due to the rough conditions they had a fair amount of sea water ballast to help stabilise the boat.

Actually one thing I think I forgot to mention when writing about the engine control room was about the stabilisers. These extend 20 feet out from the sides of the boat and work in tandem. They are like aircraft wings, which work in tandem to reduce the listing of the boat.

9803dc43e0afd4a88007bbfbd56583b8.jpg

a3dd38048308c07ccef09e3264c4d0c0.jpg

In the opposite side of the room was for weather and navigation:

6e60d6bc314702e3e7e892e51944ab6e.jpg

430d910131096debe3a56536a448f21d.jpg

1349e5effe15e9a07985152a021bca0a.jpg

c8cc00454922d5fc5a3de923b5a761d1.jpg

b69417c1c4583ad1d77c4b4f506cacb1.jpg

2a780f31919ad2b198371d0c9bd8e39d.jpg

The tour was really interesting and we are glad we went on it. It was advertised as 3 1/2 hours but it finished after around 2 3/4 hour so potentially there would have been time to visit some other areas. It was expensive at £95 / $150 each but was a great experience.

Thanks, I'm not sure why there is a sub forum as it's no longer countdown to Quantum class, but I am relatively new to the site and not a mod so I am sure there must be a reason for this.

There certainly was some interest though, I am amazed it has gone over 50k so thanks again to everybody for your interest.

What does "sub forum" mean? You had attached your link on our 11/22 roll call, but when I clicked on it, it gave me an error message. Is that because of being moved to sub forum (what ever that is?). I had posted your link a day or two before on our roll call for ppl to check out your blog because it was so informative. When I clicked on that, I was able to link over no problem to see the updates. (last time I was on, you were just getting ready to leave NYC).

I think RCCL should give you a free or reduced future cruise for the awesome reviews/information you provided!!!!! Well done!

All menus are now in one location in PDF format:

http://www.bourkeblogs.com/aotsmenus

I will be updating the daily blogs on my site as well shortly, but thought it would be useful to have all the menus in one place first.

Thanks for posting those, but did you know that each of the free restaurants (other than DD) have 2 menus that alternate every 4 days? You only posted one from each restaurant. Do you have the other sets?

Edited by MisterBill99

i am surprised, that passengers are not handed seapass at the check-in desk. Maybe I am just paranoid, but finding the seapass in a sealed envelope outside your room, is kinda scary to me, as many people may be wandering the halls before you even get to your room and snatch it. Granted, they probably won't be able to use it (maybe once), but pranksters can have a field day with that concept.

i am surprised' date=' that passengers are not handed seapass at the check-in desk. Maybe I am just paranoid, but finding the seapass in a sealed envelope outside your room, is kinda scary to me, as many people may be wandering the halls before you even get to your room and snatch it. Granted, they probably won't be able to use it (maybe once), but pranksters can have a field day with that concept.[/quote']

Unless I've heard wrong, it's only the wrist band that is in your cabin. You get the Sea Pass at check in. How would you get onto the ship and into your cabin without it? They don't leave the cabins unlocked.

I believe that originally, on the QOS, they did in fact leave the sea passes in a sealed envelope outside your room. You 'dinged' onto the ship with your paper set sail pass (printed out at home.). Glad to hear policies have been amended! I agree that it didn't sound very safe.

Unless I've heard wrong, it's only the wrist band that is in your cabin. You get the Sea Pass at check in. How would you get onto the ship and into your cabin without it? They don't leave the cabins unlocked.

Hi

The SeaPass cards are not given to you at check in and one of them is left outside your cabin in a sealed envelope

32480f35a765dca21c0cd273b1e83c0e.jpg

The envelope is sealed and it says on it if their is evidence of tampering you should report this. You just need to take card out and open the door. The door wouldn't open with the card still in the envelope.

In your cabin is the other SeaPass card and the two WOW bands.

We didn't hear of any issues with this process as if someone did try to use your card for purchases the photos wouldn't match which did seem to be checked in most cases

Thanks for posting those, but did you know that each of the free restaurants (other than DD) have 2 menus that alternate every 4 days? You only posted one from each restaurant. Do you have the other sets?

Hi, yes I'm aware of the menu changes. Unfortunately we only have one set of menus from the evening we dined in those restaurants. We didn't get to see the other sets, sorry.

I think they may also change slightly now the boat is based over in the USA.

What does "sub forum" mean? You had attached your link on our 11/22 roll call, but when I clicked on it, it gave me an error message. Is that because of being moved to sub forum (what ever that is?). I had posted your link a day or two before on our roll call for ppl to check out your blog because it was so informative. When I clicked on that, I was able to link over no problem to see the updates. (last time I was on, you were just getting ready to leave NYC).

I think RCCL should give you a free or reduced future cruise for the awesome reviews/information you provided!!!!! Well done!

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

This thread was originally located on the main Royal Caribbean forum but yesterday it had been moved to the Countdown to Quantum class sub forum which is used very little. I couldn't find it at first when searching the main forum.

The chips in the Disney mugs are timed to 14 days so, no, wouldn't work. I would imagine the ship mugs are also so you can't bring one back on another sailing but maybe RCCL isn't that savvy or sophisticated.

No the RCI mugs are dated also and expire on departure.

The SeaPass cards are not given to you at check in and one of them is left outside your cabin in a sealed envelope

Wow, I stand corrected! Does that mean you can't buy any drinks until you get to your cabin? What happens to people who want to get a drink as soon as they get on the ship or with lunch? Do they give you something temporary that you can use to charge with?

Wow, I stand corrected! Does that mean you can't buy any drinks until you get to your cabin? What happens to people who want to get a drink as soon as they get on the ship or with lunch? Do they give you something temporary that you can use to charge with?

No worries, you use your set sail pass until you get your sea pass card.

That would mean less money for them-- pretty sure they've worked it out so they can start collecting the second you get aboard!

Hi

32480f35a765dca21c0cd273b1e83c0e.jpg

The envelope is sealed and it says on it if their is evidence of tampering you should report this. You just need to take card out and open the door. The door wouldn't open with the card still in the envelope.

In your cabin is the other SeaPass card and the two WOW bands.

We didn't hear of any issues with this process as if someone did try to use your card for purchases the photos wouldn't match which did seem to be checked in most cases

Wow, I'm not liking that, I am wondering if I can retrieve My card as soon as I board from the cabin or if I need to wait until the cabin is cleaned and ready.

Edited by Seaworthy01

Wow, I'm not liking that, I am wondering if I can retrieve My card as soon as I board from the cabin or if I need to wait until the cabin is cleaned and ready.

It is really no big deal; your photo is linked to your card. And the attendants are busy cleaning cabins; there is no passenger access. They need to be able to do their jobs.

Don't stress over this.